Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Help swapping out LCD on A6

Posted by StlLooking 
Help swapping out LCD on A6
January 16, 2019 10:32AM
Hi All, I have an Anet A6 that the LCD has been getting darker and darker until now, full dark. I have a 20x4-LCD board with encoder that came from another older printer with dual ribbon cable connections, EXP1 and EXP2.

I set Marlin 1.1.9 for REPRAP_DISCOUNT_SMART_LCD bu get a compile error, "no pins defined."

I tried using the same LCD definition (ZONELABS) as the Anet A8 which has the the 20x4 screen and it compiles and uploads, but I only get a back-light.

How can I regain control of the A6 with the 20x4 without buying a new full-graphics module?

The other upside is that I should then be able to un-define SLIM_MENUS"

Thanks

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/16/2019 10:33AM by StlLooking.
Re: Help swapping out LCD on A6
January 16, 2019 06:02PM
From the file pins_ANET_10.h

/**
* LCD / Controller
* Only the following displays are supported:
* ZONESTAR_LCD
* ANET_FULL_GRAPHICS_LCD
* REPRAP_DISCOUNT_FULL_GRAPHIC_SMART_CONTROLLER
*/

Your controller doesn't have enough free IO pins for a standard 20x4 (it uses more pins than all the rest)
January 19, 2019 04:21PM
Thanks, but the A8 uses what looks to be the same board and it has enough pins for the 20x4. In my OP "ZONELABS," I meant "ZONESTAR" as you mentioned.

>> Your controller doesn't have enough free IO pins for a standard 20x4 (it uses more pins than all the rest)

This would suggest otherwise when making the reverse happen...
[www.thingiverse.com]
January 19, 2019 08:45PM
the A8 does use the same board

The zonestar 20x4 lcd is different as it only uses 1 analog pin for the 5 buttons
the standard 2004 lcd uses 3 digital pins for the encoder and switch.

the 12864 lcd also uses less io pins than a standard 2004 lcd, it uses spi for the lcd vs 4 bit parallel

the 2004 needs
lcd: 6 io lines
buzzer: 1 io lines
encoder: 3 io lines
SD: 5 io lines (must include SPI pins)
reset: 1 io line
Total: 16 io lines (if you use it all)

the A6/A8 has
4 SPI pins on J3
8 pin on LCD
Total 12 pins.
January 20, 2019 10:23AM
Dust
the standard 2004 lcd uses 3 digital pins for the encoder and switch.

Ahh, OK, thanks for the detailed explanation, it is very much appreciated. As you can tell, I am quite a way out of my depth with this. I was reading on the Repetier site that the Graphics screen can take 0.1 to refresh and slow down Deltas, so I figured I would go back to the 20x4 o the A6 to get the expanded menu options and give the board some breathing room in speed as a bonus. But, that is not to be.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login