Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Dry filament is critical!

Posted by dtwrv6 
Dry filament is critical!
January 12, 2019 01:06PM
I just purchased a dehydrator for my 3d printer setup (a generic one off of Amazon - save yourself a lot of money rather than something labelled for printer use).
WOW! I don't think I can overstate how much of a vast improvement in quality I'm seeing. Adhesion is through the roof on everything I've tested - nylon, abs, polycarbonate. This is across the board true on printbite, buildtak, and glass.
Nylon is string free!
Layer adhesion is much stronger, and I can print thinner walls without cracking. I've run several prints without chamber heat.

I wouldn't say it is any more critical than having a well calibrated system with an absolutely flat and clean build surface. Once you get all of that right, there is still an order of magnitude improvement when you use a dehydrator. If you think your house is in a dry climate - that's not good enough. I dispense from the dryer and leave it running for the print duration.

Don
Re: Dry filament is critical!
January 13, 2019 08:30AM
That's great. Pictures and a link to Amazon would be nice.
January 13, 2019 01:02PM
[www.amazon.com]

I also purchased a carousel from a local kitchen appliance store for $7 dollars that fits inside nicely and allows the 1kg spools to spin freely on their sides. I can get two of them in the dryer, and the filament feeds out through the door without modification. I did use some tape to hold the door shut.

There are much cheaper dryers available. I rolled the dice and upgraded so I could get the controls and wattage I wanted. It works great!

January 18, 2019 09:35AM
Dtwrv6
I’m currently building a new delta and plan to build a heated filament enclosure on top. What I don’t know is the ideal temperature to run it at.
What temperature do you find the best?
Thank you,
Rod
January 18, 2019 09:59AM
You know, I currently have my filament open-air in my basement. I was keeping it in sealed freezer bags with a color-changing dessicant and my dessicant was indicating I had some moisture.

Out of convenince and curiosity, I opened one bag and placed it about six inches away from a radiant space heater I have down there right now and sure enough after 24 hours the dessicant's color changed indicating 0 moisture. I've now opened up all of my filament bags and they are now camping in a circle around my space heater drying out. Eventually I'm going to go the route of dedicating a storage tote full of dessicant as my filament storage but if you ever need to dry filament in a pinch and don't want to put it in the oven (AKA don't anger the wife) this works.
January 26, 2019 05:06PM
It really depends on what material you are drying. Get it as hot as your dryer will go without exceeding the Tg temperature. I'm running polycarbonate, nylon, and ABS at 150F since that is the limit of the dehydrator.
February 02, 2019 11:59AM
I have never dried my filament or kept it in bags. What type of problems should I be seeing or do you guys live in a high humidity area?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login