Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

CubePro 32 bit plug-and-play controller

Posted by ryanhatfield 
CubePro 32 bit plug-and-play controller
February 11, 2019 03:50AM
Hey guys,

I'm working on a CubePro replacement controller, using the 32 bit 180 MHz Cortex M4 chip.
My goal is to be able to replace the main board and use all the existing hardware.
This kit will use all original wires and connectors so ... no soldering required.
Hopefully this can breath new life into many dormant CubePro printers!

So far, I've got the following worked out:

• Building Merlin 2.0.x for the base system
  • 6x TMC2208 SilentSpeedStick stepper controllers (1/256th stepping!!)
  • X/Y/Z endstops
  • Controlling the built in AC relay board and heater (with separate 24v fan)
  • Original enclosure temperature sensor (MCP6H01 opamp + thermistor)
  • Using all existing wiring including the external USB ports (no I don't have USB host working yet)
  • CREE LED lighting
  • Extruder heaters
  • Extruder fans

Still to do:

• filament detector (partially coded)
  • extruder temp sensors (not expecting issues, just haven't done it yet)
  • Front panel LCD using ILI9341 controller (LCD working in test code, need to integrate into Marlin, probably use this code)
  • encoder for each extruder (working under test code, not integrated with Marlin yet)
  • respin the PCB with a cheaper BOM in mind
  • figure out what the Bluetooth LE chip was for on the original CubePro controller board?¿

The board I'm making will be in two parts, the controller board to replace the original controller, and a second adapter board to replace the daughter board behind the extruders. The replacement extruder board is mostly so I can reuse existing wiring, as the mosfets to control the fans and the logic to detect the extruder encoders will be on the main control board. For now, I'm using a few pre-built components for my board. Any components will have headers for quick replacement / troubleshooting.

Anyways, I hope to find some interested alpha testers.
The software source code will be available but will be in an alpha state. I'm not ready to provide any kind of guaranteed support, though I will help whenever I'm able.
I will be making a short run of these boards, and was wondering if anyone wanted to buy a "parts kit" at cost.
With the PCB and the parts being in low quantities, the parts kit got a bit expensive, but for the quality of the machine I hope some of you will be interested.

Thanks!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/11/2019 05:13PM by ryanhatfield.
Re: CubePro 32 bit plug-and-play controller
February 11, 2019 04:06AM
The eeprom idea is not that dumb, it allows noobs to get the correct setting for the filament without having to know anything...

but requiring a eeprom to use any filament (ie locking it down) that is bad...

good luck in your endeavors.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/11/2019 04:08AM by Dust.
February 12, 2019 11:43PM
-

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/13/2019 11:46PM by ryanhatfield.
March 15, 2019 09:52AM
Hello ryanhatfield

I just bought two brand new factory sealed cubepro duos to modify them. I figure the mechanics in them will save me a bunch of time vs building a couple. I want to print Ultem 1010 so the enclosed heated chamber is a must.

Anyways I was planning on just installing a MKS board or perhaps a smoothieboard. But if your close to having some boards ready for plug n pray that would save me even more time. Please let me know......

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/15/2019 11:36AM by jasonmbeamer.
March 17, 2019 08:04AM
jasonmbeamer
Hello ryanhatfield

I just bought two brand new factory sealed cubepro duos to modify them. I figure the mechanics in them will save me a bunch of time vs building a couple. I want to print Ultem 1010 so the enclosed heated chamber is a must.

Anyways I was planning on just installing a MKS board or perhaps a smoothieboard. But if your close to having some boards ready for plug n pray that would save me even more time. Please let me know......

Hi, where did you get the cube pro duos? Good luck on the conversion!
March 17, 2019 09:45AM
Not sure if its allowed to post product locations etc due to people advertising and spamming. I have no affiliation with this seller whatsoever. But i would love for people from this forum subject to have access to these. They are $399 brand new with $299 for shipping on the first printer, each additional printer is $99 for shipping. Thats why i bought two to make them an even better deal. Mine have been shipped and should arrive this thursday.

User dccoutlet at e bay, item # 123648595240
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login