Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

My first Brim, my first failed Brim.

Posted by StlLooking 
My first Brim, my first failed Brim.
March 31, 2019 03:39PM
Hi All,

Anycubic Delta, Inland-PLA, 220/60c, Cura v3.6, 0.4 nozzle, 0.2 Layer, 60mm/sec

Two years in and I have never used a Brim until today. I have a print with a very spindly base and was getting a lot of corner lifting. So I decided to try a Brim and it looks to work -- but.

When the Brim is being laid down, the inner-corners are getting way too much plastic and rippling up. The next layer, the nozzle hits the lump and pops it loose from the bed. I have tried flattening it down with a spatula as soon as the nozzle passes and that seems a little better, but it is a PITB.

I have tried slowing down and speeding up but both seem to make it worse. I have tried dropping the Initial Line Width to 80% and still I get the ripples.

What should I be doing to fix this or at least make much smaller lumps that will not get hit by the nozzle the next line around..
Re: My first Brim, my first failed Brim.
March 31, 2019 07:59PM
If the nozzle is too close to the bed the brim will suffer the same problems that the rest of the first layer will. As the plastic is laid down, the nozzle will start tearing up the previously deposited plastic. Raise the nozzle a little.

Have you calibrated the extruder?

Ultra MegaMax Dominator 3D printer: [drmrehorst.blogspot.com]
Re: My first Brim, my first failed Brim.
April 02, 2019 11:53AM
the_digital_dentist
Raise the nozzle a little.

Nope, nozzle height was fine as I have been getting perfect first layers for months, so it'd be wrong to touch the nozzle height.

It was the line width. Too much PLA was getting squished sideways/inwards as the nozzle-path moved in. I increased the Initial Line Width to 115% and problem was solved.

the_digital_dentist
Have you calibrated the extruder?

Always. smiling smiley
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login