Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Will this motor do the job?

Posted by JP 
JP
Will this motor do the job?
April 30, 2007 11:21AM
Will this motor work with the Reprap?. Go tell me to sit in the corner facing the wall if you must (I know you wouldn't), but i'm new to all this and just starting to dip my toes in.

Stepping motor 2-phases
Steps per rev.: 200
Step Angle: 1.8
Attachments:
open | download - 7627_1.jpg (62.5 KB)
Re: Will this motor do the job?
April 30, 2007 11:23AM
"I'm slightly confussed as to what will actually be included in the 'complete kit' for the estimated $400?."

As I understand it it's supposed to include all the parts; motors, electronics, boards, steel rods @ etc. to make Darwin except for the PC needed to control Darwin.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/30/2007 11:46AM by Forrest Higgs.
JP
April 30, 2007 11:33AM
If that is the case then i'm more than prepared to wait.
April 30, 2007 11:49AM
Do keep in mind, though, that that parts price does not include the tools you will need to assemble Darwin. Remember that you will need a soldering workstation, a hacksaw, probably a vise, probably a set of metric Allen wrenches (keys), the odd Philips head screwdriver and the like. This can add considerably to the overall cost if you don't already have this sort of thing lying around at your place.

Also, as best as I understand this price does not include a support material extruder which will need another controller board and a few other things.
JP
April 30, 2007 12:14PM
Tools are not a problem,the missus makes sure I have all I need to tend to her...ehem.. our weekend diy needs.

Support material extruder?.
Now if i've done my homework,that will be the part that will extrude (unknown) material to support voids in the build to stop them collapsing in on themselves?.
As discussed in this thread...

[forums.reprap.org]
April 30, 2007 12:28PM
Exactly. I don't think, from looking at Zach's quantity surveys, that Adrian has factored the cost of that into Darwin just yet. I don't think that it's going to cost that much more. The problem is that we don't have a functional support material extruder working on a 3D printer of any sort just yet to give us the experience to confidently cost that piece out.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/30/2007 12:28PM by Forrest Higgs.
April 30, 2007 01:03PM
well... when i was doing the calculations on the parts db, it was looking like around $310/$320 for the polymer only portion. adding the support extruder is what kicks it up to $400.

stay tuned... things are about to get very interesting =)
April 30, 2007 01:05PM
my guess is that we'll probably be using a syringe based one just for simplicity. if i recall, adrian had a working one mocked up with RP parts, but it was abandoned as unsuitable for doing large prints in plastic.

if you're doing small parts, it would work pretty well. i know thats one of the heads i plan on investigating. i have a bunch of syringes/needles laying around and it seems very logical.
April 30, 2007 01:07PM
Ah well, there's my memory playing me false. I recalled that the number you got was closer to $400.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/30/2007 01:07PM by Forrest Higgs.
JP
April 30, 2007 05:37PM
Is that going to translate into a straight currency conversion for those of us in the Uk or are we looking at a slightly higher mark up seeing as this is...well... the UK.spinning smiley sticking its tongue out
Sorry to turn this into a pricing thread, colour me more than interested anyway.thumbs up.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login