Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Inexpensive linear rails?

Posted by shortyski13 
Inexpensive linear rails?
April 18, 2019 08:27AM
I'm building a fairly large printer. Originally i was planning to use v-slots and rollers, but since I've learned of linear rails id like to do that, not just for accuracy but also needing less maintenance. The problem is the cost since I'm trying to keep my costs down and they are expensive.
Are there any inexpensive rail and block systems out there that work well, better than vslot rollers? How are the MachiFit ones?

Thanks
Re: Inexpensive linear rails?
April 18, 2019 09:57AM
I buy high quality, used linear guides via ebay. Brands like IKO, NSK, THK, etc., can be had for only a little more than the cost of cheesy HiWin knock-offs. If you search the listings on ebay and exclude anything with an MGN or MGH part number you'll find plenty of good deals mixed in with the grossly overpriced stuff. Buy the rails at least as long as you need and with the number of bearing blocks that you need. You can cut them to final length with a cut-off wheel on a grinder.

Ultra MegaMax Dominator 3D printer: [drmrehorst.blogspot.com]
April 18, 2019 10:07AM
Looking now, it seems almost everything there are chinese knockoffs.

I also wonder how RobotDigg's versions are. Curious for reviews on those.
April 18, 2019 10:24AM
Here's one: [www.ebay.com]
and another:
[www.ebay.com]

Use advanced search features to exclude the crap: NSK linear guide -mgn -mgh -shaft -sbr replace NSK with THK and IKO

HiWin makes good stuff, but you never know if you're getting HiWin stuff or knock-offs because the knock-offs copy the HiWin part numbering scheme and also try to copy the look of HiWin parts.

April 18, 2019 10:30AM
And that's what you call cheap huh? (over half the cost of an admittedly low end machine)
April 18, 2019 11:03AM
They're cheap compared to buying them new. A good extruder is half the cost of a low end printer, too. A good controller board costs almost as much as an entire low-end printer.

That's life. Good stuff usually costs more than not good stuff.

April 18, 2019 06:57PM
I just picked up some of these:
Machifit MGN12H 250/300/500/550mm Linear Rail

And 4 extra blocks:
Machifit MGN12H Linear Rail Block

First impressions are good! I cleaned them all up (De-greased/waxed them) and put some oil on them.

Time will tell how good they really are. I would think they are better then the steel rods - definitely smoother then the rods I'm using now!

--------------------------------------------------------
Custom all metal CoreXY
- Duet 2 Wifi w/ PanelDue 7i
- 330mm x 360mm x 500mm
- 750w Silicon heater

Custom Mendel90
(Backup printer - Old reliable!) - Sold
April 19, 2019 03:31PM
The guy who designed the MGN12 linear rail upgrade for the A8/AM8 recommends these: CNA Store, although I don't have any personal experience with them.
April 20, 2019 12:54PM
MMcLure
The guy who designed the MGN12 linear rail upgrade for the A8/AM8 recommends these: CNA Store, although I don't have any personal experience with them.

Got 4 of them, but MGN9 (RDBB ). Like Mogal said, cleaned, oiled and put them to use. 5kg of plastick behind no problems with rails.
sss
April 20, 2019 02:13PM
shortyski13
I also wonder how RobotDigg's versions are. Curious for reviews on those.
i got those . they're pretty good , made out of stainless .
if you put good oil in them , they're as good as hiwins (for 3d printer loads anyways)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login