Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Newbie Question 1 - Pulleys & Belt importance

Posted by HectorM 
Newbie Question 1 - Pulleys & Belt importance
September 20, 2012 08:59PM
Ok, im good a computers, good a mecanical stuff, but dum at math and calculating stuff from my head.

1- Whats better a T2.5 16-tooth pulley or a 18-tooth or higher?
1- Whats better a T2.5 2mm pitch timing belt or 1mm? will the 1mm work with the T2.5 pulley?

If theres a topic about it let me know, i did a search in forum and din't found much info, but once again, even if i read, im dum, and i cant figure out, I want to know what to invest on.

In advance thanks

Hector Marquez
Production/Gral Manager

Akai Tech Corp
Miami, FL 33166

We are computer Wholeseller of used and refurbish Computer, Notebooks and LCD Monitors
Re: Newbie Question 1 - Pulleys & Belt importance
September 20, 2012 09:31PM
The difference between the 16 tooth and 18 tooth pulleys.

The 18 tooth would do slightly better with backlash due to more teeth connecting to the belt. But not enough to use that as a factor for choosing between the two.
Using a 1.8 degree stepper motor the resolution without using multi-stepping

16 teeth * 2.5 mm / 200 steps = 0.2 mm per step.
18 teeth * 2.5 mm /200 steps = 0.225 mm per step

The 16 tooth will give you slightly better precision.

The t2.5 2mm versus 1mm is a mtter of strenght. They will booth have the same pitch and precision. the 2mm can have more tension and stress than a 1mm.
September 21, 2012 05:51PM
So, what about G2 belt and pulley, once again, what diferent it makes from the t2.5 type. I,m analizing over here what perform better in quality and precision terms. So far, a distributor for pulley and timing belt told me that makerbot guys are buying 18 and 20 tooth t2.5 pulleys. And their print quality is not that bad. Sooooo!!!!!

G2 vs T2.5 ???? WHOS THE WINNER
September 21, 2012 05:57PM
Its GT2 and it is a proper linear motion belt (any pitch). The other is T2.5 and is only available in 2.5mm pitch, it also is a timing belt and not designed for linear motion.

The only reason RepRap used T series belts is because they were cheap and easy to print pulleys for.

FFF Settings Calculator Gcode post processors Geometric Object Deposition Tool Blog
Tantillus.org Mini Printable Lathe How NOT to install a Pololu driver
September 21, 2012 06:38PM
Thanks a lot Sublime, so, for better precition a G2 belt/pulley will do a better job. Correct?
September 21, 2012 07:43PM
HectorM Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Thanks a lot Sublime, so, for better precition a
> G2 belt/pulley will do a better job. Correct?

Yes the T series belt have a lot of backlash in the teeth where as the GT2's are designed to have little to no backlash.

FFF Settings Calculator Gcode post processors Geometric Object Deposition Tool Blog
Tantillus.org Mini Printable Lathe How NOT to install a Pololu driver
September 21, 2012 08:09PM
thats all i need to know, thx, i will proceed with my second topic, as for this one , for me is closed!>grinning smiley<
September 22, 2012 08:21AM
Sublime Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Yes the T series belt have a lot of backlash in
> the teeth where as the GT2's are designed to have
> little to no backlash.

You can find both "zero backlash" and "with backlash" pulleys for T2.5 belts from the manufacturers' catalogs. So when building a RepRap, it would be important to ensure that you have "zero backlash" pulleys, no matter what the profile is.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login