Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

BLTouch just quit working - just flasing

Posted by charlieRC 
BLTouch just quit working - just flasing
June 01, 2019 01:09PM
I was doing some test prints using petG this morning and everything was fine. In preparing for the next print, I tried to home everything and the BLTouch just started flashing. I checked the wiring and all was good. I cycled the power a few times with no luck. It would start flashing as soon as the power was restored. I physically pulled the prob down and when I powered up, it would retract and start flashing without completing the startup tests.

So far, what I’ve seen online pertained to a new unit, not one that has been working fine. I have made no changes. Using Duet WiFi on a custome built CoreXY.

Any suggestions?

If I haven’t screwed it up yet, I’m not thinking hard enough!

CoreXY, Titan Aero, Duet WiFi, custom design and build
Cartesian, E3D v6 hotend, Bondtech QR extruder, custom design and build
VDX
Re: BLTouch just quit working - just flasing
June 01, 2019 02:34PM
... check the +5V power -- could be, the 5V-regulator is blown for overpowering or misplaced endstops (if wrong around, they will short +5V to GND) ...

Viktor
--------
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - [reprap.org] -- Deutsche Facebook-Gruppe - [www.facebook.com]

Call for the project "garbage-free seas" - [reprap.org]
June 01, 2019 03:40PM
VDX
... check the +5V power -- could be, the 5V-regulator is blown for overpowering or misplaced endstops (if wrong around, they will short +5V to GND) ...

I can’t quit understand your suggestion.. I had printed about five or six prints this morning before this happened. I can still home X and Y fine. I have a Z.end stop that works as a fail safe if the BLTouch does not stop the bed and that still works. When you say “the 5v regulator”, are you talking about on the BLTouch or on the Duet?

I have another BLTouch that I can swap in, but afraid to do that until I have some understanding of how this happened...don’t want to throw another on the fire.

VDX
June 01, 2019 05:17PM
... such "flashing" of displays is common for not sufficient current or too low voltage -- so measure the 5V for stability ... could be, the used +5V-regulator was overpowered and is now wrecked ...

Viktor
--------
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - [reprap.org] -- Deutsche Facebook-Gruppe - [www.facebook.com]

Call for the project "garbage-free seas" - [reprap.org]
June 02, 2019 02:49PM
I put a multimeter between the 5v and ground (red and brown) at the bltouch end of the extension cable and I got 5.01v consistently. I even tried moving through the 3 axis and it did not fluctuate.
I checked the black and white wires on the two wire connection and got a consistent 3.28v.
I also checked continuity between the 3 wire extension cable and the BLT on the soldered side of the connector and all was good.

Does this sound like the BLtouch is not fuctioning correctly? If I extend the probe before powering up, the BLT will retract it like its going to start the self test, bit can't seem to re-extend it. There does not seem to be any unusual resistance when I pulled the probe out.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/02/2019 03:01PM by charlieRC.

June 02, 2019 08:53PM
I replaced the BLTouch with another and that solved the immediate issue, but I would still like to figure out what caused the other one to go bad. I only used it for a little over three months. That seems like an awfully short life span unless there is something that I did wrong. Anyone else have this sort of issue?

June 06, 2019 05:14PM
Spoke to soon. I was trying to re-calibrate the probe using [duet3d.dozuki.com]. As I got to the step to run G30 S-1 and ran it, the probe started flashing just like the one I just replaced and is now unresponsive.

I am a total loss to know what to look at next. I did check the voltages again and they seem to be right where they should be.

Addendum: came back from dinner and powered up the printer. It was no longer flashing, but now when I hit home all, it will home x and y but the probe will not deploy to home Z. I tried M401 AND M402 and the probe would deploy and retract, but not not when homing Z.

I tried G30 and the message says "Z probe already triggered at start of probing move"

June 08, 2019 10:54AM
resolved: There was a wiring issue. Corrected that and all is well.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login