Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

24V prusa style 3d printer System

Posted by npm1 
24V prusa style 3d printer System
June 29, 2019 04:20PM
Hi,
I have a spare 12v silicone heated bed, what modifications would I need to make it work on a 24v power supply?

.Buck converter
.Mosfet
.Direct connection with issues( please explain any potential issues)...

Please Help
Re: 24V prusa style 3d printer System
June 30, 2019 03:42AM
Do you mean you have a spare 24v silicone heater?

What controller do you have?

Generally the heaters and fans are swapped for 24V. Need for MOSFET on the heater maybe reduced if you have power matched your replacement heaters to the originals.

Edit: Miss read your post as a converting a machine to 24V and I have the heater sorted. As Dust has already hinted it maybe cheaper to buy a 24V heater once the cost of all the extra bits are considered and your time.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/01/2019 01:25AM by WesBrooks.
June 30, 2019 03:50AM
Running a 12V heater on a 24V supply is problematic from a safety stand point. Trial and error with PWM and a current meter may result in being able to match the rated power with the higher suppy but in the event of the PWM locking on things could get ugly very quickly. Fuse may not blow in time.

I don't know enough about buck converters to advise on their use.
June 30, 2019 04:23AM
Put it on ebay and get a 24v version.

Or buy a 12v supply and control it with a mosfet,
July 02, 2019 12:21PM
I was using a 12V heated bed with a 24V printer. (Actually, it's still connected, but I haven't used that printer in months.)

I used my old 12V PSU, a MOSFET and it works as well as it ever did, which is to say that it gets to temperature, but is much slower than the very similar 24V heated bed that I use with my other printer. This is one of the big reasons that I don't use that printer often.

I actually did purchase a 24V heated bed, which I did intend to install, but just never got around to it, since I also wanted to improve a few other things with that printer.

MBot3D Printer
MakerBot clone Kit from Amazon
Added heated bed.

Leadscrew self-built printer (in progress)
Duet Wifi, Precision Piezo parts
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login