Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Print from SDRAMPS

Posted by epareja 
Print from SDRAMPS
September 25, 2012 12:39PM
Hello,

I'm using Repetier Host and Marlin firmware with RAMPS 1.4 and SDRamps to store files in an micro SD card.

Does the electronics has to be connected to the PC via the USB cable when printing? or I can disconect the USB cable?

I tryied to disconect it but the printer stoped, is this normal? I can close the RepetierHost with no problems though.

Thank you

Ernesto Pareja

dcctrains.netne.net
Re: Print from SDRAMPS
September 25, 2012 01:23PM
If you have D1 installed on the Ramps board, it's under the X and Y stepper drivers, you can pull the USB plug out of the computer after printing starts.
If you click the disconnect button it resets the printer.
September 25, 2012 03:12PM
When printing from ramps you do not need to connect the cable to the PC, if the printing is stopping when you pull the cable out of the USB slot, check your Marlin firmware settings.
September 25, 2012 03:29PM
Thank you both. I will check if D1 is installed but I'm almost 99% sure it is ecause when I turn the power supply without connecting the Arduino to the PC, the leds flashes.

jakowisp, what configuration should I check for? It is enabled the SDSUPPORT and it prints from the card if I don't disconnect the board from USB.

Thank you

Ernesto Pareja

dcctrains.netne.net
September 27, 2012 08:58AM
I'm actually stuck at the same position, can print from SD with Pronterface running, as soon as I close Pronterface though or disconnect the USB cable the print stops. My D1 is installed ...

What changes in the firmware do you have to make in order to get this working? As epareja, I've only enabled the SDSUPPORT in my Marlin-Configuration file!
September 30, 2012 02:47AM
I've also found that after a good print from SD card and after unmounting the SD and taking it of, if I insert it again in the slot my computer shuts off. It's very scary but I can turn it on latter but I don't know what hardware problem should it be.

Anyone has had this problem?

Ernesto Pareja

dcctrains.netne.net
October 03, 2012 10:51AM
Sorry for the Bump:
Anyone know the answer to our problem/s? In short:
what firmware changes have to be made (or even hardware) in order to get the printer to work without it being connected to the computer or Pronterface?

I'd really appreciate a solution, you guys have been a great help so far smiling smiley
best regards
October 03, 2012 01:58PM
I think you have to break the reset-en (reset enable) connection in the Arduino Mega 2560 to prevent the automatic reset everytime the USB connection is broken in the software. I think with the reset-en active, the DTR line is used by the PC to tell the Arduino to reset itselft. This seems to happem when Pronterface quits. This is needed when uploading firmware so you might either have to restore it or manually push the reset button in RAMPS to upload new firmware.

But I thought that simply disconnecting the USB cable does not cause a reset and the printer will continue to run on its own. I do this with my Azteeg X1 and also X3 and it works.
October 03, 2012 05:02PM
Thank you brnrd. You meant I will have to modify the PCB of the Arduino for this setting to work?

I have Repetier Host and I can close the program and the printer will still run but if I disconnect the USB the printer stops.

I don't think all the people printing form SD card have to modify the Arduino Mega PCB.

Best regards

Ernesto Pareja

dcctrains.netne.net
October 03, 2012 05:35PM
Thanks for the answer!
Yea I read somewhere that the diode in D1 has to be installed, it is installed on my Ramps though and it still doesnt work :/

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/03/2012 05:36PM by 13asilis.
October 03, 2012 07:17PM
epareja Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Thank you brnrd. You meant I will have to modify
> the PCB of the Arduino for this setting to work?
>
> I have Repetier Host and I can close the program
> and the printer will still run but if I disconnect
> the USB the printer stops.
>

Are you sure that you have the diode installed correctly in the RAMPS board?
October 25, 2013 08:28AM
Hi,

Does anyone have a definite answer to this question? Like most people I have checked that the D1 diode is connected. I load the file from the pronterface but when I disconnect my usb cord it stops. SD support is enable in the printer firmware.

thanks
msandersmay10
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login