Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Thingiverse

Posted by Dark Alchemist 
Thingiverse
September 28, 2012 10:49AM
[richrap.blogspot.de]

MBI – “Some people will not like that we have gone closed source, but they all use Thingiverse whether they like it or not, we have the biggest community”.

I honestly feel something is about to change for Thingiverse and it is either going to go for pay or it will be harvested for the items even though they say no we still have issues with the TOS that came in Feb. Now a third option might be where it will go to a sort of stock photography like system where you upload all that you want but all downloads are for a fee.

Guess we will wait and see where all of this goes.

_______
I await Skynet and my last vision will be of a RepRap self replicating the robots that is destroying the human race.
Re: Thingiverse
September 28, 2012 11:23AM
Pettis responds to the above: [richrap.blogspot.de]

I stand on seeing where this heads within the next year or so but it depends greatly on how successful they are after going closed source I think.

_______
I await Skynet and my last vision will be of a RepRap self replicating the robots that is destroying the human race.
Kt
September 28, 2012 12:29PM
Has anyone made progress on making a Thingiverse alternative?
September 28, 2012 12:41PM
I'm getting tired of everyone shitting on Makerbot because it's the popular thing to do this week.

Businesses exist to make money. Getting upset at Makerbot because they *may* be changing their business model in order to continue to make money is stupid.

Don't like it? That's ok. But please stop polluting the forum with your disproportionate "righteous" outrage. By this point you've made your position abundantly clear and there's no need to continue beating the dead horse into a bloody pulp.
September 28, 2012 12:49PM
crispy1 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I'm getting tired of everyone shitting on Makerbot
> because it's the popular thing to do this week.
>
> Businesses exist to make money. Getting upset at
> Makerbot because they *may* be changing their
> business model in order to continue to make money
> is stupid.
>
> Don't like it? That's ok. But please stop
> polluting the forum with your disproportionate
> "righteous" outrage. By this point you've made
> your position abundantly clear and there's no need
> to continue beating the dead horse into a bloody
> pulp.
Know what you can do? Yep, don't click them and just ignore them because we have every right, and from a moralistic stand point due to their change an obligation, to discuss this.

I sense you have a vested interest in MBI else you wouldn't even click these discussion threads. OMG, we are discussing something on a discussion forum that is just so radical and just because you don't like the topic we should all stop? Grow up.

_______
September 28, 2012 12:54PM
Kt Wrote:
> Has anyone made progress on making a Thingiverse
> alternative?
Not that I have seen Kt and Thingiverse has been the best thing out there. Heck I just uploaded two new designs yesterday to it but boy it was buggy but is fine now.

_______
September 28, 2012 01:02PM
Are you this abrasive to people in person, or just on the internet?

What you're doing isn't discussing. You are attacking. This doesn't resolve anything, it just serves to drive a wedge between people and groups. The 3d printing community is small enough as it is without you trying to carve off chunks you don't like.

Oh, and just because someone disagrees with you doesn't make them a shill for "the other side".
September 28, 2012 01:13PM
I am this abrasive in the real world too but you really don't have to click any of these threads yet you do then you come in to cry and moan then crap on them it is very childish.

If you didn't notice I am only printing what they say and what I think will happen so where am I shitting on them in this thread? I don't see it.

_______
September 28, 2012 07:40PM
Hmm. This is like the saying, "The pot calling the tea kettle black".

grinning smiley

crispy1 Wrote:
> Are you this abrasive to people in person, or just
> on the internet?
>
> What you're doing isn't discussing. You are
> attacking. This doesn't resolve anything, it just
> serves to drive a wedge between people and groups.
> The 3d printing community is small enough as it
> is without you trying to carve off chunks you
> don't like.
>
> Oh, and just because someone disagrees with you
> doesn't make them a shill for "the other side".
Kt
September 28, 2012 08:44PM
crispy1 Wrote:
> I'm getting tired of everyone shitting on Makerbot
> because it's the popular thing to do this week.
>
> Businesses exist to make money. Getting upset at
> Makerbot because they *may* be changing their
> business model in order to continue to make money
> is stupid.
>
> Don't like it? That's ok. But please stop
> polluting the forum with your disproportionate
> "righteous" outrage. By this point you've made
> your position abundantly clear and there's no need
> to continue beating the dead horse into a bloody
> pulp.

"They are a business and are there to make money
THEREFORE:
They should not be held to any sort of moral or ethical standards!"

That's what I read...

Businesses making money > ethical words and actions.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/28/2012 08:45PM by Kt.
October 02, 2012 03:04PM
Physibleexchange might be a viable alternative. (found via reddit. The tos looks good too.)

I feel it a good idea to torrent all the entries with all the submitted data, and listing the torrent files so basically anyone can start a new such website, just by pulling all torrent files, which contain all the data.

On the other hand, i am fine with people just visiting one, for instance, for the use of its voting system. There just have to be people that can start a new website fast, if the 'main' one is down, or gets 'corrupted'.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login