Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Slic3r 0.9.3 Is Out!.. But Will It Blend?

Posted by Idolcrasher 
Slic3r 0.9.3 Is Out!.. But Will It Blend?
September 29, 2012 08:35PM
Slic3r Homepage

A new version of your favorite slicing program has been released!

Go grab it, use it, and chat about it here!
Re: Slic3r 0.9.3 Is Out!.. But Will It Blend?
September 29, 2012 09:02PM
ok, right off the bat, I can tell that this new version of slic3r is causing me to have trouble getting the skirt to adhere to the plate.

I know they made changes i this area, because this was on the version change list:

"better adhesion of brim and support material"

The actual object and brim are sticking to the plate, just not the skirt.

Lets see if I can figure out why...
September 29, 2012 09:46PM
does retraction work better?
September 30, 2012 02:13AM
Do you guys have had problems with the support material being sometimes very fragile?

I'm trying to print the top of a oil bottle and the support material has to rise up to 10cm and many of the support is just a thin wall without any vertical strength.

I've found the support in skeinforge being more resistant because it ads a little of material 90 degrees at the end of each line.

I found that Slic3r is generating support material for stacked layers though, that is very necessary in some situations as printing an helix. That feature in skeinforge didn't work because it only generates support material from the base up to the first layer in the air. After that there is no support in skeinforge.

Slic3r is getting better everyday and Skeinforge is static for a very long time.

Thank you both (Slic3r and Skeinforge) anyway for your effort!

Ernesto Pareja

dcctrains.netne.net
September 30, 2012 04:14AM
Edit: I think the problem happens when using negative value in "Extra Lenght on Restart"
================================================================

Hi,

I have tried 093 and first it worked fine but then after changing some settings like infill and layer height and infill every 2 layers I got the issue with layer height plus lift turning into total layer height again. Same problem as in 092.
If I change to default in the drop down menu it works again, but if I use my settings it fails.
I have logged it as an issue on github.
Anyone else had this kind of problem?

Regards
Jan

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/30/2012 04:28AM by IceMan.
September 30, 2012 09:16PM
I noticed my extrusion width is back to 0.7mm, vs 0.53mm for 0.8.4. 0.7.2b gave the same extrusion width as 0.9.3. We'll see if this fixes the layer alignment issue that plagued 0.8.4.
October 01, 2012 01:23AM
Version 9.3 is producing G-Code with a lot of nasty bands for me.

You can see jagged banding in the g-code in Reptier... I filed a issue on the slic3r github and posted pictures: slic3r issue post

Any one see anything similar to those pictures I posted?

Back to version 9.1 again.
October 01, 2012 08:00AM
Excellent pictures. I wonder if 0.8.4 has the same problem, I've been using that as my "stable" version but on some parts it seems to have layer alignment issues.
October 01, 2012 02:38PM
crispy1 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Excellent pictures. I wonder if 0.8.4 has the
> same problem, I've been using that as my "stable"
> version but on some parts it seems to have layer
> alignment issues.

Ummm....... 0.8.4 has one of the worst bugs ever in Slic3r, it adds 0.1mm to all the perimeters making nothing fit together. I only recommend 0.7.2b

FFF Settings Calculator Gcode post processors Geometric Object Deposition Tool Blog
Tantillus.org Mini Printable Lathe How NOT to install a Pololu driver
October 01, 2012 04:04PM

Ummm....... 0.8.4 has one of the worst bugs ever in Slic3r, it adds 0.1mm to all the perimeters making nothing fit together. I only recommend 0.7.2b

My issue with 0.7.2b is support doesn't really work. It also lacks a lot of tweaks.

Based on a quick scan of the Slic3r subforum 0.9.1 looks like a good alternative too.
October 01, 2012 04:33PM
All the 0.8x versions were pretty much unusable for me, I used 0.72 until recently.
0.91 isn't bad, it has a crash bug when items are removed from the platter, but since I use repetier host to layout items it's not much of an issue.
My current rule is give it 2 or 3 weeks before upgrading so if there any major issues, which seem to be common as of late, someone else will fall victim first and I can decide if it's worth the upgrade.
October 01, 2012 07:22PM
I played around with viewing gcode from 0.7.2b, 0.8.4, 0.9.1, and 0.9.3 in Repetier. 0.7.2b produces the cleanest gcode by FAR. 0.9.1 and 0.9.3 look basically identical on the couple of parts I processed, and 0.8.4 looks slightly worse.

Sigh... So unless you need support it looks like 0.7.2b is the "last stable version".
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login