Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Tronxy x3s Help identifying main board and lcd to upgrade firmware

Posted by fdcarver 
Tronxy x3s Help identifying main board and lcd to upgrade firmware
January 11, 2020 11:03PM
trying to install a new main board on my tronxy x3s (sd card holder came loose from the old board and no longer was working ) and load the updated firmware . uploaded marlin 1.19 to new board and with the example file now has blank lit screen
tried to search and no good firmware can be found all i find are showing the wrong lcd and board in the configuration.h file here are a few pics to show what my x3s came with
keep in mind i have never done this before but i do know that there has to be a problem in the firmware as it worked before i started but the new board was for a x5s now they have discontinued selling them from tronxy so here i am
i attached the confiuration.h file to help but the lcd does not have an sd card on it nor a buzzer
thanks to anyone that can help or maybe point me in the right direction
Attachments:
open | download - 20200111_100906.jpg (662.3 KB)
open | download - 20200111_101825.jpg (805.6 KB)
open | download - 20200111_102100.jpg (737.6 KB)
open | download - 20200111_100925.jpg (905.1 KB)
open | download - Configuration.h (68.2 KB)
Re: Tronxy x3s Help identifying main board and lcd to upgrade firmware
January 12, 2020 12:20AM
The display look like a REPRAP_DISCOUNT_SMART_CONTROLLER board but with a REPRAP_DISCOUNT_FULL_GRAPHIC_SMART_CONTROLLER display on it..

very weird

It does say 12864 which is a full graphics display
so try
#define REPRAP_DISCOUNT_FULL_GRAPHIC_SMART_CONTROLLER

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/12/2020 12:39AM by Dust.
January 12, 2020 12:33AM
The controller, the configuration.h says its a BOARD_MELZI (orriginal Tronxy CXY-V.2 melzi clone)

The melzi series came with a 644p or 1284p processor, The former having 64k of flash is is now to small for modern firmware. The latter has 128k of flash, and is a tight squeeze for modern firmware's. Don't expect ABL support and GLCD support to fit.

Next to the QC sticker is a chip with another sticker on it with blue numbers. you need to remove that sticker and read the number on the chip (644p or 1284p)
To see if your wasting your time or not...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/12/2020 12:49AM by Dust.
January 12, 2020 09:01AM
it is the atmel 1284p chip also i am no worried about the auto bed leveling or anything right now just would like to have the thermal overrun protection if it will fit
Well i changes the controller to
#define REPRAP_DISCOUNT_FULL_GRAPHIC_SMART_CONTROLLER
and hooked up the USBTINYISP and it works now but the strange thing is it came up with : an error occurred while uploading the sketch but it did upload and now it works i dont get what the error was about
January 12, 2020 09:06AM
i did manage to find a working confi.h file that works but i dont know what version of marlin due to the way it displays the custom boot message
i removed the one i had on here and uploaded the one that is working
i also tried to copy the confi.h and confi.adv file to marlin 1.1.9 to upload it but it say that the config files are to outdated to use
thank you for your help

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/12/2020 09:07AM by fdcarver.
January 12, 2020 07:25PM
UPDATE : Well what i thought was a good working firmware is not
cannot get the bed temp above 36 before it errors and shuts off
so onward for looking for a good config.h and config.adv files for the tronxy x3s
January 12, 2020 07:36PM
There is a sample for Tronxy-X3S using Marlin 1.1.9 have you tried this one.

[github.com]

Computer Programmer / Electronics Technician
January 12, 2020 08:34PM
well i havnt found that one but i did do a search on github and it didnt show that one anyway
i DL it and went to complie wrong board so i changed that to #define MOTHERBOARD BOARD_MELZI_TRONXY the one i know works and then get this error message

Arduino: 1.8.10 (Windows 10), Board: "Sanguino, ATmega1284 or ATmega1284P (16 MHz)"

"C:\\Users\\\\AppData\\Local\\Temp\\arduino_build_322122\\libraries\\U8glib\\clib\\u8g_virtual_screen.c.o" "C:\\Users\\\\AppData\\Local\\Temp\\arduino_build_322122/core\\core.a" "-LC:\\Users\\\\AppData\\Local\\Temp\\arduino_build_322122" -lm
c:/users/t/appdata/local/arduino15/packages/arduino/tools/avr-gcc/7.3.0-atmel3.6.1-arduino5/bin/../lib/gcc/avr/7.3.0/../../../../avr/bin/ld.exe: C:\Users\\AppData\Local\Temp\arduino_build_322122/Marlin.ino.elf section `.text' will not fit in region `text'

c:/users//appdata/local/arduino15/packages/arduino/tools/avr-gcc/7.3.0-atmel3.6.1-arduino5/bin/../lib/gcc/avr/7.3.0/../../../../avr/bin/ld.exe: region `text' overflowed by 3238 bytes

collect2.exe: error: ld returned 1 exit status

Multiple libraries were found for "U8glib.h"
Used: C:\Users\\Documents\Arduino\libraries\U8glib
Not used: C:\Users\\Documents\Arduino\libraries\U8glib_Arduino-master
Using library U8glib at version 1.18 in folder: C:\Users\t\Documents\Arduino\libraries\U8glib
exit status 1
Error compiling for board Sanguino.
January 12, 2020 08:59PM
Yip that what you get if you enable to many features....

I notice the following is enabled, I don't believe you have this so you should disable it (add // to this beginning of the lines)

#define BLTOUCH
#define AUTO_BED_LEVELING_BILINEAR

with these two disabled and using BOARD_MELZI tt compiles...
January 12, 2020 09:33PM
well that helped to compile it and i uploaded it but now the text is now jumbled and unreadable
i do remember reading somewhere that it would have to do with setting some timing somewhere but honestly i cannot remember where it was now as i have read so much in so little time it all runs together now
i was able to read it enough to make out auto home and everything went to the very center x and y also z thinks that the center of the bed is the home spot
i do appreciate your help in this

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/12/2020 09:34PM by fdcarver.
January 12, 2020 10:02PM
scrambled 12864 screen... That would be add the following to your Configuration.h

#define ST7920_DELAY_1 DELAY_NS(125)
#define ST7920_DELAY_2 DELAY_NS(125)
#define ST7920_DELAY_3 DELAY_NS(125)
January 12, 2020 10:48PM
well that worked out good if its not one thing its another with this thing
when it homes all go to the normal home axis but then x and y goes to the center of the bed dont understand that one
the bed temp gets up to 54 and then errors out (never done this before all tho it took forever to get to 65 ) could this be a setting or do i need to add a mofset to the bed which i intend to do as soon as i can get the firmware right
i know one thing that when i finally get this running like it should i am going to put it on github as a all stock parts version for the tronxy x3s maybe it will help someone else
January 13, 2020 02:44AM
Did you also use the Configuration_adv,h from [github.com] ?

As there are some very important lines

#if ENABLED(THERMAL_PROTECTION_BED)
  #define THERMAL_PROTECTION_BED_PERIOD 30    // Seconds
  #define THERMAL_PROTECTION_BED_HYSTERESIS 3 // Degrees Celsius

/**
   * As described above, except for the bed (M140/M190/M303).
   */
  #define WATCH_BED_TEMP_PERIOD 90                // Seconds
  #define WATCH_BED_TEMP_INCREASE 2               // Degrees Celsius
#endif

The last two lines means that every 90 seconds the bed should heat up 2 degrees (the marlin default is 60 seconds, which is to fast for your heated bed)
If It cant do this you get the heating failed error.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/13/2020 02:49AM by Dust.
January 13, 2020 08:04PM
yes i did use the Configuration_adv,h
can you load the firmware without it ? or disable that feature ?
January 13, 2020 08:33PM
It is a safety feature, disable it at your own peril

Since your bed seems to be is heating up even slower than others with your machine I would check your hardware.

Check the heated bed themistor is firmly held against the heated bed (some use tape and it get lose after time)
Check the heated bed heater wires are very firmly attached to the control board.
Check the heated bed wire are not heating up at all (happens if the wires are to thin)
January 13, 2020 08:54PM
ok i will check those things
i just got a thermal mat for underneath the bed so i guess now would be a good time to install it hopefully it helps and i will also install a mofset i bought for it as well and if the gauge of wire is too thin i will replace that as well
i wanted to upgrade the firmware for the new safety features so disabling them would defeat my purpose so they will be left alone lol i will post as soon as everything is done
thank you again for all your help
January 18, 2020 10:10PM
UPDATE: the bed thermistor was not in the divot it is supposed to be (it is now )
installed the thermal mat underneath the bed
installed a mosfet for the bed as well
heating up better than it used to and without errors
now on to the next problem is the center position is offset in both x and y directions would it be this that is causing it

// Travel limits (mm) after homing, corresponding to endstop positions.
#define X_MIN_POS -11 this one
#define Y_MIN_POS -17 this one
#define Z_MIN_POS 0
#define X_MAX_POS X_BED_SIZE
#define Y_MAX_POS Y_BED_SIZE
#define Z_MAX_POS 410
thanks again for your help

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/18/2020 10:10PM by fdcarver.
January 19, 2020 01:18AM
Re
#define X_MIN_POS -11 this one
#define Y_MIN_POS -17 this one

there are for setting the X0, Y0 position

it says that you X min endstop is 11mm left of X0 position and Y min endstop is 17 mm back form Y0

You will have to measure this and see if it is accurate for your machine

or just home X and Y, then move to X0, Y0 and check it is at 0,0 on your build plate.
January 23, 2020 01:49AM
As for homing to center Do you have Z_SAFE_HOMING enabled?

as that moves to the center of X and Y
January 23, 2020 08:58PM
couldn't find Z_SAFE_HOMING in cinfig.h or config.adv.h
now if i auto home everthing is fine and if i move x and y to the center (marked with a sharpie on tape ) as far as moving it half of the bed width both was it is about 5 mm off in both directions

but i did notice this one would it have anything to do with it not centering

// Min software endstops constrain movement within minimum coordinate bounds
#define MIN_SOFTWARE_ENDSTOPS
#if ENABLED(MIN_SOFTWARE_ENDSTOPS)
#define MIN_SOFTWARE_ENDSTOP_X
#define MIN_SOFTWARE_ENDSTOP_Y
//#define MIN_SOFTWARE_ENDSTOP_Z
#endif

// Max software endstops constrain movement within maximum coordinate bounds
#define MAX_SOFTWARE_ENDSTOPS
#if ENABLED(MAX_SOFTWARE_ENDSTOPS)
#define MAX_SOFTWARE_ENDSTOP_X
#define MAX_SOFTWARE_ENDSTOP_Y
#define MAX_SOFTWARE_ENDSTOP_Z
#endif
January 25, 2020 10:12PM
ok i think i have figured out what the problem is
i use cura 4.4 to slice with i downloaded other slicer software and they all center the prints as it should be except for cura 4.4
even downloaded an earlier version still the same it worked just fine before the new firmware update but not now
havent figured that part out yet
oh and i did find Z_SAFE_HOMING in the config file and it is not enabled
cura starts the printing at the very front left corner of the bed i even started a new printer profile to make sure all the settings were correct but still the same affect
i did get the bed centered tho had to adjust a little in the firmware but its dead on now
February 15, 2020 06:40PM
Best upgrade to tronxy is to upgrade the controller board. The assembly job is horrible.

The heatbed FET isn't soldered properly. I had just a small blob of solder to keep it in place and the heat sink on top of the FET had way too much themal glue.

Hot end FET has same problem having bad soldering but it has lower current to handle so it shouldn't burn the house down.

I wasn't able to see clearly if the soldering job was as bad as my unit had, but better to check it. And if you resolder them, you need to give a lot of heat. Best part of the design is the heat spread from these FETs which make them hard to solder.
February 15, 2020 08:50PM
OK I would like to upgrade the board but just don,t know which one would be the best or easiest to do
wouldn't mind a touch screen as well
reason to upgrade is i want to install a bl touch and filament runout sensor as well
any suggestions ?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login