Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

confused smiley kraken extruder build!!!! Help!! confused smiley hot smiley

Posted by AhmedU 
confused smiley kraken extruder build!!!! Help!! confused smiley hot smiley
February 28, 2020 02:57AM
Hi
I am building a new 3d printer, and looks like i am stuck with a kraken 4 nozzle extruder i bought earlier
the problem is, i do not know if there is a way to extend a board to accept another heaters or sensors,
sure there are stepper expansion boards, but they do come with an additional sensor nor heater outlet, besides it gets you tied to the pololu stepper drivers
I thought about extending ramps with another ramps , but found no manuals of if that is even possible
my question is

Is there a way to extend ramps with an additional extruder, heater ,and sensor ? and are there any manuals for 4 nozzle kraken electronics? what other choices do i get to make use of the extra extruder body i have?
Thanks buddies you make a great community

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/28/2020 03:04AM by AhmedU.
Attachments:
open | download - 7779.jpg (40.4 KB)
Re: confused smiley kraken extruder build!!!! Help!! confused smiley hot smiley
February 28, 2020 03:36AM
Yes you can do this

You just wire the pins that would normally go to the mega on the second ramps to the various exp pins on the first ramps.. Its ugly, but will work.

No there is no manual to do this. Its not for the novice

You need to start with a list of what you want.
how many stepper driver (7)
how many software controlled fans (2?)
how many hotends (4)
heated bed (1)
thermister inputs (bed + hotends)

ramp provides 3 MOSFETS, and 5 stepper driver and 3 thermistor inputs

So two ramps boards will be fine.

now you need to work out how many signals you need
Each additional stepper driver needs step, direction and enable pins (more if you use SPI or UART stepper drivers)
Each additional MOSFET need a IO pin that is capable of hardware PWM (these are limited)
Each additional thermistor needs an Analog input. (these are limited)

So the next step it to work out where you would wire each of these components that satisfy their requirements to the current ramps

You will need this.
NB you cannot use D0 or D1, these are actually tx0/rx0 which is connected to your USB interface.
PWM is on pins 2 to 13 and 44 to 46

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/28/2020 03:38AM by Dust.
Re: confused smiley kraken extruder build!!!! Help!! confused smiley hot smiley
February 28, 2020 04:00AM
Dust
Yes you can do this

You just wire the pins that would normally go to the mega on the second ramps to the various exp pins on the first ramps.. Its ugly, but will work.

No there is no manual to do this. Its not for the novice

You need to start with a list of what you want.
how many stepper driver (7)
how many software controlled fans (2?)
how many hotends (4)
heated bed (1)
thermister inputs (bed + hotends)

ramp provides 3 MOSFETS, and 5 stepper driver and 3 thermistor inputs

So two ramps boards will be fine.

now you need to work out how many signals you need
Each additional stepper driver needs step, direction and enable pins (more if you use SPI or UART stepper drivers)
Each additional MOSFET need a IO pin that is capable of hardware PWM (these are limited)
Each additional thermistor needs an Analog input. (these are limited)

So the next step it to work out where you would wire each of these components that satisfy their requirements to the current ramps

You will need this.
NB you cannot use D0 or D1, these are actually tx0/rx0 which is connected to your USB interface.
PWM is on pins 2 to 13 and 44 to 46

Thanks friend , looks messier than i expected ,its logic looks theoretically doable, for me practically however !
then what i need is to sum analog and digital signals and thus pins i need , use them as auxiliary from first ramps ans solder to the analog/digital input pins of the stepper/ heater/sensor from one board to another , right?
but what about the second ramps, the auxalery one? i think it doesn't need to be mounted on another ATmega it is only a follower that needs a power? doesn't it?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/28/2020 04:08AM by AhmedU.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login