Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Problems with the skr 1.4 and a Reprap Discount LCD

Posted by Widee 
Problems with the skr 1.4 and a Reprap Discount LCD
April 07, 2020 03:14PM
Hey,

a few days ago i finally recieved my new Bigtreetech skr 1.4 to replace the ramps 1.4 on my printer. Everything is working exept the LCD. It doesn't even light up. I was wondering if maybe the display is broken but on the old ramps board its still working. Today i checked with a multimeter the 5V output for the LCD on the Skr it is powered as well. In the marlin 2.0 firmware i activated the "REPRAP_DISCOUNT_SMART_CONTROLLER".
Now i don't know what to do next. Had anybody the same problem or has an idea what to do?
Thanks.
Re: Problems with the skr 1.4 and a Reprap Discount LCD
April 07, 2020 10:42PM
There are two different plug styles on 20x4 LCD's

The pin out are the same, but the key on the plug is 180 degrees out from each other. (also some use right angle sockets and others straight up and down.)

With a ramps its doesn't matter as they also provide the ramps to lcd PCB and they just make them match.
But with the connector actually on the motherboard... you have to have the correct version.

Or you modify your version...

you can cut off the keys on the plugs so you can plug them in backwards
or if you have straight sockets you can cut new keyholes in the sockets (if you go this route I would suggest modifying the on the back of the lcd, not on the skr1.4)
you can make up custom cables.
Or if you have straight sockets you can carefully pry up the plastic sockets on the back of the lcd and turn them around (this is what i have been doing)
Re: Problems with the skr 1.4 and a Reprap Discount LCD
April 08, 2020 03:54AM
Ok Wow never thought about something like this.
I thought maybe there is something to change in the software to prepare the outputs especialy for the skr.
I cutted off the keys and it is working so thank you very much. That was a really helpful advice.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login