Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

An interesting motor

Posted by nophead 
An interesting motor
August 19, 2008 03:57PM
Squiggle motors:
[www.newscaletech.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/19/2008 03:58PM by nophead.

[www.hydraraptor.blogspot.com]
Re: An interesting motor
August 19, 2008 04:20PM
Clever.
August 19, 2008 04:24PM
I ran across this technology quite some time ago. It's fascinating stuff, though, iirc, they want a very pretty penny for them. The other problem is the service life of the device.

[www.newscaletech.com]

Take a look and see what you think. It struck me as at least a magnitude less than what we could live with. sad smiley
August 19, 2008 04:28PM
Neat. You could make a macro-sized one with three solenoids, a threaded rod and a slightly-larger diameter tube with internal corrugations that matched the pitch of the rod. The solenoids would be sequenced to hula the tube around the rod.
VDX
August 19, 2008 05:12PM
... in the last years there were several types of piezo-motors - different inchworm-types, piezo-legs and 'elliptec'-oszillators.

I experimented with some inchworm-drives and built some micro-(and nano-)-positioning stages with 'piezolegs' and ferrofluidic actuators.

The drives were capable of 20mm travel range, accuracies of 0,1 microns per single step or single nanometers in 'bending-mode', but you have to apply a measurement system capable of same accuracy, or it didn't have exact repeatability.

So we sold 3-axis-positioning systems with 20mm travel in each direction, 4mm/s speed and an accuracy of 0,1 microns for 'microscope-controlled manual positioning' with a joystick for nearly 3000 Euros.

When combined with a measurement system capable of 0,1 microns too for closed-loop, this 3-axis-system would be more than 8000 Euros!

So this types of motors are nice for moving micro-parts and -tools in the working-area of a microscope, but for serious working in this dimensions it's only the 'motor' - for real applications you have to add three to four times the money for the scales ...

Viktor

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/19/2008 05:14PM by Viktor.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login