Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Power Requirements for high temperature printing

Posted by someoneonly 
Power Requirements for high temperature printing
May 29, 2020 09:46AM
Hi all,
I have recently upgraded my printer to use the Prusa research extruder design(with e3d v6) but have been unable to maintain the hotend temperature at 210c when running the cooling fan even at 40% speed. To clarify I have printed at 250c before with other setups and cooling but I have not changed anything else. I have tried rerunning PID Autotune with the fan on and resoldering the wires but Im not sure if its simply a power limitation.
Re: Power Requirements for high temperature printing
May 31, 2020 01:09AM
This issue is usually a poorly designed cooling duct that is blowing too much on the nozzle or heater block causing the temperature to drop. First thing to try if you don't have one is a silicone sock on the heater block. If you already have a sock on the heater block then you could try a higher wattage heater cartridge.

As for a power issue, easiest way to check that is with a volt meter on the voltage leads where they connect to the control board when you have everything turned on (heated bed, hotend, etc). Measure the voltage before everything is on to get a base line and then with everything on and if it drops I would say more than .5 volts then you may need a higher wattage power supply.
Re: Power Requirements for high temperature printing
May 31, 2020 02:05AM
The fan duct is the one prusa research uses though and aside from the 24V heater cartridge compared to the 12V I use I don't think there's any other difference either. If I'm not wrong my power supply is only 40W lower than their power supply too.

I have already been using the sock but I will try preheating and seeing if the voltage changes.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login