Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Can admin run a poll on filament usage?

Posted by michaelc 
Can admin run a poll on filament usage?
October 10, 2012 08:55AM
Hello Admin,

can you possibly run a poll in this forum on filament types people are using?

I've been talking with a good manufacturer (of the higher quality filament) about getting some better prices for the community.
I was under the impression most people were now using 1.75 PLA - but I think this is just my experience,

ABS, PLA, PVA, PP, HDPE
1.75, 3mm

Thanks,

Michael - Thingfarm.com
Re: Can admin run a poll on filament usage?
October 10, 2012 09:06AM
Plastic: ABS, PLA
Size (mm): 3, 3

Next year possibly 1.75mm

Bob Morrison
Wörth am Rhein, Germany
"Luke, use the source!"
BLOG - PHOTOS - Thingiverse
October 10, 2012 09:15AM
No 1.75

3mm ABS, some 3mm PLA but not much.

- akhlut

Just remember - Iterate, Iterate, Iterate!

[myhomelessmind.blogspot.com]
October 10, 2012 09:30AM
Admin questions should go in the forum administration section : [forums.reprap.org]

I've never seen a poll in those forums so I'm not sure it's possible (other than a regular thread with many replies and hand counting).

Why don't you ask that manufacturer you are talking to ? Surely he knows how much he is selling of each kind/sizes - unless he's one who only does PLA winking smiley

As for me, 3mm only, mainly PLA, some ABS.

Most of my technical comments should be correct, but is THIS one ?
Anyway, as a rule of thumb, always double check what people write.
October 10, 2012 09:52AM
Hey DeuxVis,

can you move this to the appropriate forum, I didn't spot it in the first place. Phorum apparently doesn't do polls.. but can be added as a module, it might be a good feature? [github.com]

I've discussed it with the manufacturer, but the picture isn't clear - they're mainly dealing with companies, mostly non-reprap users.

thanks,

Mike
October 10, 2012 09:54AM
1.75mm, only PLA so far but may try ABS
VDX
October 10, 2012 11:06AM
... sorry, found no option to create a poll - I'll change this thread temporary to 'sticky', so it can accumulate ...

Viktor
--------
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - [reprap.org] -- Deutsche Facebook-Gruppe - [www.facebook.com]

Call for the project "garbage-free seas" - [reprap.org]
October 10, 2012 11:47AM
1.75 PLA
October 10, 2012 12:00PM
1.75 PLA
October 10, 2012 12:05PM
If it can't be done, there are a few basic poll scripts which can be pasted into a thread like: impoll.net or some better polls could be pasted into the wiki.

Are there any questions people would like answering about the community, a few polls might be really good to gauge where things are?
October 10, 2012 12:08PM
I have created a Survey Monkey questionnaire, much easier than creating lots of entries here. Please fill out here: http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/W8WN3V6
3 simple questions: most used nozzle size, filament type and filament diameter.

Michaelc, maybe if you edit your first post and add the link above, we'll get more people responding.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/10/2012 12:14PM by droftarts.
October 10, 2012 12:11PM
when you say poll, i clicked and was hoping to see approx amt used per year, percieved consistency, price etc hahaha
October 10, 2012 12:17PM
Well, if I'd had a bit longer... of course, you can always start your own! I'll check the on-going results as often as I can, as I don't think anyone else can get them until I close the survey.
October 10, 2012 12:25PM
Redreprap
see approx amt used per year, percieved consistency, price etc hahaha
How would you word that?

Approximate Kg of filament used per year?

Do you prefer to buy your filament:
By the meter
On a reel
Dont mind

What is the most important consideration when buying filament:
Cost
Colour
Low cracking after printing
Low warp whilst printing

If you have purchased from low cost Chinese/other manufacturers, were your experiences in the last year:
Favourable
Negative
Mixed:...
October 10, 2012 12:40PM
Michaelc, all useful questions, but that's beyond the scope of what you originally wanted. And by making a discussion about what the poll should contain, it dilutes the questions, and you never get around to having a poll. The more questions you put on a survey, the less people will respond - KISS - Keep It Simple Stupid! Also, Redreprap is just joking!
If you want to do a follow-up poll, by all means do so. I was just trying to help out with a quick, straight forward solution. You didn't really want to collate the results from this list, did you?!
So far 3 responses to Survey, responses above not included.
Nozzle size: 0.35 (1), 0.4 (1), 0.5 (1). Material: PLA (1), ABS (2). Filament size: 1.75mm (0), 3mm (3).
October 10, 2012 12:52PM
Surveymonkey kicks ass

Maybe we need to do some more reprap surveys...

Where can we download the data?

- akhlut

Just remember - Iterate, Iterate, Iterate!

[myhomelessmind.blogspot.com]
October 10, 2012 01:00PM
I dont see the problem, Id rather it was done well than quickly. On the topic of keeping it simple, couldn't you of embedded it with code which allows us to see the results?

The more questions you put on a survey, the less people will respond
did you do a survey to get that answer?
October 10, 2012 01:04PM
yea i think you got what i meant, the details.

and also i think it be great if users specify if they know which country produces their filament that they have bought.

i have not finished building my machine michaelc, my order of belts n pulleys from SDP-SI went to jupiter hahahaha ! so all i can say is, i am gathering info as much as i can about what to expect about filaments from users (not so much from sellers though ... ops no offence haha)

i have keen interest in PC, due to the high xtal temp.
October 10, 2012 01:22PM
michaelc Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I dont see the problem, Id rather it was done well than quickly.
That wasn't what you originally asked for. If you talk too much about it, it will never happen.

> On the topic of keeping it simple, couldn't you of embedded it with code which allows us to see the results?
I can only share the results while the survey is running if I pay for a pro account. If you don't like it, find another solution. I was just trying to help.

>> The more questions you put on a survey, the less people will respond
> did you do a survey to get that answer?
Sorry, it should say 'the fewer the number of people that will respond'. This from years of experience running surveys.
This sort of survey will only produce a decent number of responses if it's promoted. I suggest either you link it in the first post, or create your own survey, and link it in the first post. 77 views of this thread, 6 responses so far.
October 10, 2012 01:29PM
i just tried something ... not sure if it will appear here correctly ... * tee hee hee *

[www.facebook.com]

i have made it open ended, im not sure if anyof you can add additional options you can tick anything that applies? so i think it might work?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/10/2012 01:39PM by redreprap.
October 10, 2012 01:36PM
thank you redreprap, although unavailable for me.
October 10, 2012 01:40PM
huh? unavailable? it does not appear?

michaelc Wrote:
> thank you redreprap, although unavailable for me.
October 10, 2012 01:42PM
I love it. My vote is for a much much more detailed survey, if turnout is good for this one.... Please add # of extruder head (multi head) available (1...2...3) for me : )
October 10, 2012 01:46PM
oh prolly its friends only ...

try this link as public is allowed access i think ?

[www.facebook.com]
October 10, 2012 01:47PM
aha .. .well its open ended ... you can add options i think ...

Simba Wrote:
> I love it. My vote is for a much much more
> detailed survey, if turnout is good for this
> one.... Please add # of extruder head (multi head)
> available (1...2...3) for me : )
October 10, 2012 01:48PM
ok i can see that its working so ... errr .... happy clicking and add any applicable options folks LOL grinning smiley
October 10, 2012 01:51PM
Cool, yea... its working. are there any other options, to make the results public?
October 10, 2012 01:57PM
hmmm theres options but it doesnt do anything lol ... can you see a blank that allows you to add stuff ?

edit --> ok yes i tried it on an alternate, yes you can add stuff and count number of ppl who click anything else on it.

hmmm i think my poll could be wrongly formatted ... so it be good if you did 1 in your style

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/10/2012 02:18PM by redreprap.
October 10, 2012 06:03PM
Okay, there have been 15 responses to the Survey Monkey Poll so far. Michaelc, if it doesn't suit the information you want, I'll let it run for a couple more days, then close it, as if it's not actively promoted, it won't garner many more responses. I think the results can then be shared. I'm personally not that interested in the outcome, you wanted the information. I don't/won't use facebook, so can't take part in redreprap's survey.

Results so far:
1. Nozzle size: 0.35mm (4), 0.4mm (2), 0.5mm (9)
2. Filament type: PLA (8), ABS (7) - I thought PLA would be much higher
3. Filament size: 1.75mm (7), 3mm (7) - I thought 3mm would be higher

I use 3mm filament PLA with a 0.4mm nozzle. With 1.75mm filament being twice the cost by weight and with no obvious quality advantage, I don't intend changing. It seems strange to me that people are using 1.75mm filament with 0.5mm nozzles. However, there are other advantages of 1.75mm filament, ie smaller hot end and extruder, less weight on the x carriage, more space for second extruders. So perhaps that's why people are moving in that direction, compared to a year ago when 1.75mm filament was hard to get hold of.
October 10, 2012 06:39PM

With 1.75mm filament being twice the cost by weight
I've read this before, but not seen it here.
The price difference on 1.75 vs 3.0 is pretty marginal here Ultimachine is $44 per Kilo for 1.75mm and $40 for 3.0mm
Repraper.com shows a similar % price difference albeit with much lower prices per Kg
I use it because it happened to be what the first hot end I purchased took, now I happen to have several reels of it, changing never really seems worthwhile.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login