Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Can admin run a poll on filament usage?

Posted by michaelc 
Re: Can admin run a poll on filament usage?
October 10, 2012 07:01PM
I'm in the UK, might be a bit different here. For example, Faberdashery sell 100m Arctic white; 3mm (880g) is £24 = £2.72 per 100g, while 1.75mm (300g) is £19 = £6.33 per 100g. [www.faberdashery.co.uk]
It's good to see that other filament sellers like Ultimachine reaching near-parity for this.
October 10, 2012 07:04PM
ABS @1.75mm, and this is my first post smiling smiley
October 10, 2012 08:15PM
3mm PLA, love the smell smiling smiley buy it in 1kg rolls (2.2 pounds) from Diamondage Solutions here in NZ, excellent product and service etc.
... and welcome to the nuthouse Kflex.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/11/2012 12:10AM by Wired1.

_________________________________________________________________________________________

Richmond, New Zealand
Thingiverse ~ YouTube
October 10, 2012 08:25PM
1.75 mm ABS on two Prusa machines.
I buy in 10 pound rolls for 100 bucks.
I get rid of the fumes with a bilge blower designed for use in a boat.

I have 1.75 mm PP on order.

Roy
October 10, 2012 09:11PM
3mm PLA
Almost no ABS

Might branch out to 1.75 in a few months.
October 10, 2012 09:38PM
Roy, mind sharing your source for 10 lbs rolls?

- akhlut

Just remember - Iterate, Iterate, Iterate!

[myhomelessmind.blogspot.com]
October 10, 2012 10:15PM
3mm pla,abs, hdpe
October 11, 2012 03:53AM
Almost exclusively 1.75mm PLA at this point.

While I'm at it, Makerfarm linear bearing SAE Prusa (with various bits swapped out / upgraded), 0.35 mm Makergear hotend, heated printbed with a piece of cheap glass clipped on, Slic3r 0.93, Repetier firmware, and Repetier host.

I started with 3 mm PLA, 0.5 mm nozzle, pronterface, skeinforge, and sprinter. Moved to marlin and finally switched to Reptier host/firmware after one too many serial errors.
October 11, 2012 04:11AM
Now we're on the second page, people won't see the very quick survey I posted. Please take a moment to fill it in.
http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/W8WN3V6
3 simple questions: most used nozzle size, filament type and filament diameter.
I'll close the poll and post the results once it stops getting further responses.
October 11, 2012 07:49AM
I prefer using 3mm, started with it prefer it, quality has improved over the years. makerbot, ultimachine and some ebay vendors have done me right. thinking of buying from makergear when they get some.
October 11, 2012 10:15AM
source for 10 pound rolls

New Image Plastics

[www.plasticweldingrod.com]

They have a one month backlog at present, but I just call when I am about a month from running out.

Call them and leave a message if they don't answer. They will call you back.

Roy
Emaker Huxley, modified (of course)
1.75 mm, ABS
I use 20+ kilos, off of 2.2 kg spools.
I look for good print quality, color is a minor issue.
October 12, 2012 11:29PM
3mm only
Mostly PLA , some ABS
October 13, 2012 03:37AM
Wired1 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> 3mm PLA, love the smell smiling smiley buy it in 1kg rolls
> (2.2 pounds) from Diamondage Solutions here in NZ,
> excellent product and service etc.

Ditto

Also makes it vastly more convienent whent he supplier is in the same city -> Vik Olliver, great chap winking smiley

Tangleball members love the luminescent filament.
October 14, 2012 10:52PM
1.75 PLA... LIKE A BOSS
October 14, 2012 10:53PM
weldingrod1 Wrote:
> Emaker Huxley, modified (of course)

Hahaha, I use almost all of your mods too winking smiley
October 16, 2012 04:08PM
The quick poll is still going strong, with 63 respondents so far. Just a reminder if you haven't filled it in:
http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/W8WN3V6
3 simple questions: most used nozzle size, filament type and filament diameter.

Results so far:
1. Nozzle size, mm: 1.75 (1, mistake?), 0.5 (33), 0.45 (1), 0.4 (8), 0.35 (17), 0.3 (2), 0.25 (1)
2. Filament type: PLA (36), ABS (25). Some extra results say they use both equally.
3. Filament diameter, mm: 1.75 (23), 3.00 (38). One extra result says both equally

So, most popular nozzle size is 0.5mm (52.4%). Most popular filament type is PLA (59%). Most popular filament diameter is 3mm (62.3%)
November 03, 2012 06:59AM
93 respondents to the quick survey now. I think it will automatically close at 100 anyway, so I'll let it run 'til then.

Results so far:
1. Nozzle size, mm: 1.75 (1, mistake?), 0.5 (45), 0.45 (2), 0.4 (13), 0.35 (27), 0.3 (3), 0.25 (2)
2. Filament type: PLA (50), ABS (41). 2 extra results say they use both equally, 2 use PVA as well.
3. Filament diameter, mm: 1.75 (32), 3.00 (59). One extra result says both equally

So, most popular nozzle size is 0.5mm (48.9%)
Most popular filament type is PLA (54.9%)
Most popular filament diameter is 3mm (64.8%)
November 07, 2012 08:49PM
3mm PLA and ABS - better luck with ABS with up to 120mm/s perimeters and infill w/ 300 mm/s translations on my Prusa. Haven't been able to go too fast with PLA, yet.

0.5mm Budaschnozzle on a heavily modded Prusa.

0.35 mm J-head running 3mm Bowden on my (also modded, and still debugging) Rostock. Building a 1.75mm Airtripper Bowden that will drive a 0.35mm J-head on the Rostock this weekend.

Would like to hear more about printing HDPE - that's next...
November 09, 2012 09:33AM
I have now had 101 responses to the survey! I have closed the survey, as Survey Monkey only allows me to see the first 100 responses with a basic (free) account. Thank you everyone who responded!

Results:
1. Nozzle size, mm: 1.75 (1, mistake?), 0.5 (47), 0.45 (2), 0.4 (15), 0.35 (30), 0.3 (3), 0.25 (2)
2. Filament type: PLA (54), ABS (44). 2 extra results say they use both equally, 2 use PVA as well.
3. Filament diameter, mm: 1.75 (33), 3.00 (65). One extra result says both equally

So, most popular nozzle size is 0.5mm (47%)
Most popular filament type is PLA (55.1%)
Most popular filament diameter is 3mm (66.3%)

As statistical analysis is unavailable with a free account on Survey Monkey, I have cut and pasted all responses into an Excel spreadsheet. I have also made a map using the IP addresses of respondents (hope no one has a problem with this!).
Excel document of survey data: [dl.dropbox.com]
Map of IP address locations: [www.zeemaps.com]

Here's a pivot table of the survey responses:

November 09, 2012 05:29PM
very nice grinning smiley
November 16, 2012 12:57PM
thans sir same condition here
November 18, 2012 04:22PM
3mm PLA w/0.35mm J-Head
November 28, 2012 11:57AM
I'll start with, I'm new to 3D printing. My reprap is in pieces and is brand new and unassembled. I have no prior experience. But, I have spent months researching and learning as I plan on making my first reprap a top-notch machine within it's first few upgrades after initial build.

I also have a life of practical mechanical and electrical experience both professionally and as a hobbiest, and have read so much about every single part of a 3d printer that my logical conclusion is as follows;

The best quality parts and prints, are done with .35mm tips or smaller (though .25 likes to clog), and 1.75mm filament as it allows much more precise control to the extruder.
High quality aftermarket extruders are using geared drives and 1.75mm filament.
For material ABS produces the best results and strongest parts, the downfall is the heat. If your reprap uses PLA parts you will be begging for problems at the heat levels used to extrude ABS. (One of my first upgrades will be rebuilding with ABS or even laser-cut wood parts, as well as machined metal where possible.)

I for myself, for now, decided on a .35mm tip went with 3mm filament begrudgingly, PLA just to start until I get my machine running and tuned. It is obvious how hard and bulky the filament is especially with the curve, and 1.75 should be much more flexible and easier on the extruder parts and motor. Since I have the 3mm extruder already I will buy a few rolls of PLA, but I will concentrate my filament purchases on 1.75 PLA and ABS soon because thats the size I definitely want to work with.

-Dave
December 11, 2012 09:25PM
I'm still new to this. But I decided on 3mm ABS for what I want to do. I'm happy with the results so I think I'll stick to it mostly.
January 07, 2013 12:23PM
Solidoodle 2 machine
Plastic: ABS, 1.75mm
9 colors including glow-blue.
January 10, 2013 10:16PM
droftarts Wrote:

> So, most popular nozzle size is 0.5mm (47%)
> Most popular filament type is PLA (55.1%)
> Most popular filament diameter is 3mm (66.3%)

Interesting, thank you for doing this. I am slightly surprised for filament diameter as I thought the consensus was moving to 1.75mm filament.
February 07, 2013 10:13AM
[www.surveymonkey.com]

Hello there,

I am trying to collect some market information on the purchasing of polymer filament for 3D printers. I would greatly appreciate if you could take a moment to complete the following survey to help me with my project. I will publish aggregate statistics from the survey periodically on the forum here, keeping as transparent as possible, hopefully generating more responses in this way.

I would appreciate if you would pass this survey on to anyone you know in the community who purchases polymer filaments. It would also be great if you could provide me with any other 3DP communities that may benefit from this information.

Thank you so much! and happy printing!!!
March 01, 2013 10:10AM
1.75 PLA for me also
March 02, 2013 07:10AM
Planning to use 3mm ABS
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login