Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Can admin run a poll on filament usage?

Posted by michaelc 
Re: Can admin run a poll on filament usage?
March 20, 2013 12:08PM
1.75 PLA
March 24, 2013 03:27AM
For me it's 3mm ABS filament only.
March 24, 2013 05:45AM
Right now I am using both ABS & PLA at 3mm. PLA & ABS are about the same price, ABS is a little easier and faster to print with. PLA smells better and shinier, but has to be printed slower with. (At least for me).

The both have their strong points but as long as price is the same it doesn't really make a difference except for your application and your machine setup.
March 27, 2013 02:36PM
RepRapPro Mendel
.35mm nozzle
1.75 filament

When I bought my printer I was intending to use only PLA however after seeing the results of the acetone vapour baths I decided to go with ABS(ordered 2kg from reprapworld.com today) because I would like to make some items to sell. The finish from the vapour bath is what i am looking for to do this.

Once I have a food safe nozzle set-up I'll order some more PLA.
JT
March 30, 2013 11:33AM
I love the fact you have run a sort of poll here and judging by replies so does everyone else.
there are only a few kill joys telling you off.
Its great that so much info has come out of a simple question - so loads of us out there are curious.

keep up the thread - just refuse to move.

J head extruder 0.4mm &
Im using 3mm ABS on 1kg reels at £22 a chuck
and if my printer doesnt sort out its calibaration soon i will be buying another.
April 06, 2013 02:34AM
J-Head extruder 0.5mm
3mm PLA only, so far

I've been calibrating this Prusa i3 for a couple of months using PLA and Slic3r, and I'm pretty confident with this combination at this point. Soon I will be starting to print ABS and trying some other slicing software.

|
| Lead Developer of Marlin Firmware
| Help support my work at Patreon and Elsewhere.
|
April 14, 2013 01:00PM
ABS 3mm but not because I chose to. It was just what was easiest to get here and what I could get most info about.

I am secretly fantasizing about going to PLA because it has better adhesive qualities than ABS when it comes to printing.
April 16, 2013 04:11AM
1.75mm in both ABS and PLA. The only real reason is that my own design hotend is a thing of beauty and wonderous performance in 1.75mm, but a failure and disgrace in 3mm. I have several unused rolls of 3mm filament languishing until I have time for a total redesign of the 3mm hot end.

Mike
April 21, 2013 08:45PM
I set up this question and some other polls here today. In fact I set up the entire forum today so it will look sparse for a while:

[www.matter-replicator.com]
April 25, 2013 09:02PM
i do not know what do you want to know about the usage of the filament.but i know something about the difference of ABS and PLA.

ABS is commonly used in 3D printing, has the following characteristics:
  (1) high strength, good toughness;
  (2)density is small, when printing larger volume model lighter, save money;
  (3) cost-effective, can be processed in wide range temperature;
  (4) softer than PLA;
  (5) diameter of 3.0/1.75mm, variations + /-0.1mm,roundness +/-0.05mm;
  (6) 1 kg /plastic spool packaging, can be automatic feed;
(7) to be applied to a variety of 3D printer, Makerbot, Mendel, Prusa, Huxley, BFB series, etc..

Relative to the ABS, the PLA has the following advantages:

(1) the PLA's low processing temperature, can be in 175-200 degrees of processing;
(2) processing the odour of harmless, whereas ABS stimulating odor is dizziness;
(3) the PLA strength, high stiffness, and suitable for DIY players used to make Mendel components;
(4) good formability, high adhesion between layer and layer.
June 27, 2013 05:52PM
At 3Distributed.com we've been following this converation for a while. A lot of you have been loving the nylon we sell and we are about to bring in some top notch PLA. What colours would you guys like? We're looking at:

Natural, Opaque, Transparent, Black, White, Yellow, Red, Green, and Silver.

Also looking at PLA soft - anyone been playing with that yet?
July 29, 2013 12:43PM
I'm new to 3D Printing but I went for the 1.75mm PLA/ABS.
August 01, 2013 04:17AM
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login