Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Which is the best open source 3D Printer to try?confused smiley

Posted by simonstallone 
Which is the best open source 3D Printer to try?confused smiley
October 11, 2012 06:11AM
Hi
i am going to try the opensource 3d printer which is reprap based and price should be affordable..any suggestions?
Re: Which is the best open source 3D Printer to try?confused smiley
October 11, 2012 06:19AM
Hey simon .. please look at this http://forums.reprap.org/read.php?94,159424 .. smileys with beer
October 11, 2012 07:15AM
Hey simon,

As a general advice, take your time and learn about the product and seller you are choosing from the community before paying. There have been horror stories of non-delivering or delivering crap, and this is often from the cheap end of the spectrum.

Most of my technical comments should be correct, but is THIS one ?
Anyway, as a rule of thumb, always double check what people write.
October 11, 2012 07:16AM
You looking to source the parts for it yourself locally or buy a kit?

Kits like 3dstuffmakers might seem more expensive than building one yourself from scratch (like I did) but you save money in the long run. They are relatively quick and easy to build, with support from the companies if you run into trouble. You could have a very pretty and functional machine a couple of weeks after the kit arrives.

On the other hand I believe you learn more by doing it yourself without a kit and my Printrbot is probably running better right now than any standard Printrbot because I know what upgrades it needed, having tried all the alternatives. The downside is that I started with what could have been a 650$ printer and have spent closer to 900$ on it from ordering faulty parts, damaging parts myself and general upgrades and changes that I felt needed to be done. Also it took me 4 months just to get it working.

If you want to source the parts yourself and your looking for a real OpenSource machine then you cant beat a MendelMax or Prusa 2 as far as ease of build and print quality. If your looking for An easy and cheap printer for the beginner and are not overly concerned with print speeds/quality then you might try a Printrbot as those are very simple printers.

Hope this helps.

-Tom
October 11, 2012 07:27AM
Thanks tom smiling smiley.. you hve given a valuable advise... as deuxvis said i have to analyse the products and sellers from the techie sound people like you ....
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login