Which is the best open source 3D Printer to try?confused smiley
October 11, 2012 06:11AM
Hi
i am going to try the opensource 3d printer which is reprap based and price should be affordable..any suggestions?
Re: Which is the best open source 3D Printer to try?confused smiley
October 11, 2012 06:19AM
Hey simon .. please look at this http://forums.reprap.org/read.php?94,159424 .. smileys with beer
October 11, 2012 07:15AM
Hey simon,

As a general advice, take your time and learn about the product and seller you are choosing from the community before paying. There have been horror stories of non-delivering or delivering crap, and this is often from the cheap end of the spectrum.

Most of my technical comments should be correct, but is THIS one ?
Anyway, as a rule of thumb, always double check what people write.
October 11, 2012 07:16AM
You looking to source the parts for it yourself locally or buy a kit?

Kits like 3dstuffmakers might seem more expensive than building one yourself from scratch (like I did) but you save money in the long run. They are relatively quick and easy to build, with support from the companies if you run into trouble. You could have a very pretty and functional machine a couple of weeks after the kit arrives.

On the other hand I believe you learn more by doing it yourself without a kit and my Printrbot is probably running better right now than any standard Printrbot because I know what upgrades it needed, having tried all the alternatives. The downside is that I started with what could have been a 650$ printer and have spent closer to 900$ on it from ordering faulty parts, damaging parts myself and general upgrades and changes that I felt needed to be done. Also it took me 4 months just to get it working.

If you want to source the parts yourself and your looking for a real OpenSource machine then you cant beat a MendelMax or Prusa 2 as far as ease of build and print quality. If your looking for An easy and cheap printer for the beginner and are not overly concerned with print speeds/quality then you might try a Printrbot as those are very simple printers.

Hope this helps.

-Tom
October 11, 2012 07:27AM
Thanks tom smiling smiley.. you hve given a valuable advise... as deuxvis said i have to analyse the products and sellers from the techie sound people like you ....
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login