Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Connectors for HotEnd.

Posted by aamcle 
Connectors for HotEnd.
October 18, 2020 01:37PM
New build, new hotend.

I intend to have connectors at the hotend to enable me to swap components without stripping the wiring back to the board. Done that it's a pain!!

The fans are no problem but I'm concerned about the higher current draw of the heater and introducing any resistance the line to the sensor.

What connectors can you recomend?

Many Thanks ..

AAmcle

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/18/2020 01:47PM by aamcle.
Re: Connectors for HotEnd.
October 18, 2020 02:10PM
Molex Microfit 3 are my goto for this They are rated at 10.5A so should be good for any normal hotend.
JST make a 2.5mm in cable connector which is good for about 3A - still fine if you are using a 24V hotend
Both of the above have shells that can be clipped into a bulkhead.
Another option is the 10A connectors use by RC model aircraft to connect the battery to a brushless motor driver - these have exceptionally low contact resistance and are solder on - the others were crimp type connectors.

Mike
October 18, 2020 02:23PM
Thanks Mike.

I'll try the Molex fittings and stick with JST for the fans as they have worked well on my current printer.

ATB. Aamcle
October 19, 2020 12:51PM
I use JST SM for all connections at the hot end except for the heater cartridge. I like these because they have a lock so they won't come apart with vibration/hot end movement. For the heater cartridge I use XT30s (XT60s little brother).
October 19, 2020 07:17PM
I use XT-30 connectors. I used to use XT-60s, but they are too bulky. The XT-30 are small, truly low resistance and pretty easy to remove.
I do all of my hot-ends with these so that I can remove them easily to clear or replace them. I have one printer that I have 5 different heads that I use on it.

DLC

Kits: Folgertech Kossel 2020 upgraded E3Dv6, Anet A8 upgraded E3Dv6, Tevo Tarantula enhanced parts and dual-head, TronXY X5SA Pro(E3DHemera).
Scratch: Large bed Cartesian, exchangeable heads, Linear slide Delta, Maker-Beam XL Micro Delta, 220x220CoreXY.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login