Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Stepper Motor Selection for new CoreXY printer

Posted by Woody147 
Stepper Motor Selection for new CoreXY printer
October 31, 2020 07:41PM
TLDR: I am looking for XY axis stepper motors for a new CoreXY build; does a motor with higher rated Amp per unit of torque (at same inductance) mean a better stepper motor for CoreXY?

I am shopping for new XY axis stepper motors for a hypercube style 3D printer. My current top contenders are listed below (in no particular order). The main difference that I noted between these motors is the current and torque. (The E3D motors are 0.9° steppers, but I'm not convinced that this will make an appreciable difference in print quality or overall operation, but feel free to convince me otherwise). The LDO and StepperOnline motors are rated at 2A/phase, both with a holding torque of approx ~6 kg.cm, while the E3D motor is rated at 1.68A/phase at a holding torque of ≥4.4kg.cm. I am planning on using BigTreeTech's TMC2208 or TMC2209 stepper drivers with either the SKR v1.3 or v1.4, supplied with 12v. It seems that the LDO or StepperOnline motors would be a better choice due to the higher rated current and higher overall torque. At 1.4 amps (RMS current for the BTT TMC2208 per their spec sheet), the LDO and StepperOnline motors can output higher torque than the E3D motors. The inductance is functionally identical as far as I can tell, but I was reading that the impedance of lower current rated motors (i.e. the E3D motors in this case) may result in lower top speeds (coupled with the lower torque as described above). My current printing speeds are quite slow, but I plan to print up to 100mm/s (arbitrary printing speed, it is just a nice round number) on occasion.

Side note: I have checked Duet3D's page of stepper motor selection and all of these stepper motors are above the RMS driver current+25% guideline, but I am looking for a second opinion to make sure that I haven't missed anything.

Please offer your thoughts and experiences on stepper motor selection and let me know if you have suggestions. Thanks in advance.

LDO stepper motor: LDO-42STH47-1684AC

E3D stepper motor: high torque model MT-1704HSM168RE

StepperOnline stepper motor: 17HS19-2004S1
Re: Stepper Motor Selection for new CoreXY printer
October 31, 2020 11:14PM
How big will the printer be?

Ultra MegaMax Dominator 3D printer: [drmrehorst.blogspot.com]
October 31, 2020 11:52PM
the_digital_dentist
How big will the printer be?

250mm x 250mm x 250mm print volume (nominally)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/31/2020 11:53PM by Woody147.
November 01, 2020 07:12AM
Just about any motors should work fine. My 300 x 300 bed corexy uses a couple 64 oz-in 400 step per rev motors: 17HM19-2004S is the part number. As usual, look for low inductance, low voltage motors.

Ultra MegaMax Dominator 3D printer: [drmrehorst.blogspot.com]
November 01, 2020 03:05PM
the_digital_dentist
Just about any motors should work fine. My 300 x 300 bed corexy uses a couple 64 oz-in 400 step per rev motors: 17HM19-2004S is the part number. As usual, look for low inductance, low voltage motors.

Thanks, that's what I've been looking for this time around. I had previously used a couple of 4.8 mH steppers (17HS5415P1-X6) on a previous build before I had known about the inductance. There haven't been any problems as I've been printing very slow (20-30 mm/s), but my theoretical top speed is probably lower than it could have been. Is my understanding correct, that any printing speed or torque bottle-necks (bottle-necked by the motor specs) would only be notable at higher speeds (i.e. closer to the theoretical point of torque drop-off)?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login