Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

newbie planning stage

Posted by chris33 
newbie planning stage
October 14, 2012 07:34AM
Im planning a build and im just want a few questions im trying to figure out to try reduce costs,
1. In total length what m8 threaded bar ill use and smooth bar so I can order the amount,
2. for the ramps v1.4 is it possible to make it yourself all I need it circuit diagram I can etchit on and make my own as It will reduce cost.
Re: newbie planning stage
October 14, 2012 08:42AM
The RAMPS 1.4 source files.

If you are in the US, I would recommend that you skip this (unless you really want to of course) - bare RAMPS 1.4 PCB's are available for $10 and a whole solder-it-up-yourself kit is $45. I tried to source the components myself but shipping costs swamped my savings, so I just ordered a kit.

And what machine are you building? Prusa i2?

- akhlut

Just remember - Iterate, Iterate, Iterate!

[myhomelessmind.blogspot.com]
October 14, 2012 11:45AM
akhlut Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The RAMPS 1.4 source files.
>
> If you are in the US, I would recommend that you
> skip this (unless you really want to of course) -
> bare RAMPS 1.4 PCB's are available for $10 and a
> whole solder-it-up-yourself kit is $45. I tried
> to source the components myself but shipping costs
> swamped my savings, so I just ordered a kit.
>
> And what machine are you building? Prusa i2?

Yep im thinking of building prusa i2
October 15, 2012 10:38AM
6m M8 threaded rod
3m M8 smooth rod

- akhlut

October 15, 2012 12:27PM
Ty for measurement, I was looking at this wiki and its based on working with pla, what will I need to change to work with abs ty
October 15, 2012 01:19PM
Well, PLA and ABS require different environments for the best results.

PLA likes to be cooled fairly quickly (with the aid of a fan) after it is extruded. It does not require a heated build platform but having one makes life easier. Also, you may need a fan blowing across the hotend to print PLA - this depends on the hotend though.

ABS like a warmer environment. You can print it in a cool room, but you may run into warping. ABS requires a heated build platform and does not need a fan.

Printing ABS can be a bit much in the beginning, I would stick to PLA at first then once you feel confident move into ABS.

- akhlut

October 16, 2012 04:13AM
Well got my hundred m8 bolts thanks to work just need 100 washers ill get them tonight lol
October 16, 2012 10:35AM
For the Ramps you can get a arduino Mega for $38 from mouser.com if you buy the A000067 version.

Also if you are in the US, look at McMaster-Carr for smooth rod. You can get 3 feet of 8mm for $5.60. PN# 88625K67. McMaster-Carr doesn't tell you the shipping cost. But I paid $13 for shipping, I am in Texas.

And finally you can get LM8UU bearings for $1.75 each from Ultimachine.com.

You might know where to get these already, but I thought I would share, because I overpaid for all of them the first time around.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login