Posted by Kraczek 
Problem with Steppers + Ramps 1.4 And Marlin
October 16, 2012 12:43AM
Im Having an issue where my stepper motors wont move at all. confused smiley

Here is come background and some things that i have tried:

I am building a Prusa Mendel.
Using Prebuilt RAMPS 1.4.
Marlin Firmware.
I Configured Marlin for the Firmware (i didnt see an option in the confiuration file for RAMPS 1.4 - Maybe thats my issue, i just followed the RAMPS 1.3 Settings)
I am able to connect the printer to the Pronterface on Com3 at baud rate of 250000

i have checked and double-checked that i have connected the stepper motors in the correct orientation on the board.

i have run the Test software that was suggested, and all of the LED's started blinking, but nothing moved.

THE ONLY THING THAT I CAN DO IS POWER UP THE HOT-END
the light next to the hot end out on the board is on and i can see the temperature rising in the graph window of pronterface.

i have gone through the marlin commands for turning on the stepper motors, and pusing the home button on the pronterface and nothing seems to get any responce or sound from the board or the stepper motors.

i am new at this so sorry if i have overlooked anything
Thanks for the help

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/16/2012 12:48AM by Kraczek.
Re: Problem with Steppers + Ramps 1.4 And Marlin
October 16, 2012 09:32AM
Hey,

I had this problem too. In the configuration file I selected 33 for this line in the configuration file.

#ifndef MOTHERBOARD#define MOTHERBOARD 33#endif

33 is really for RAMPS 1.3. It mostly works the same. The Z endstops seem to be switched and the extrude, fan and bed power termials are mixed up. But the motors work. I just switched the how I wired the end stops and power termials as a work around.

hope this helps...
October 16, 2012 01:39PM
Thanks, I had it setup for #define MOTHERBOARD 34 because that was what i was currently wired up as (Extruder(0), Extruder(1), Bed) when i get home i will try the 33 and see if that makes a difference.

how would i check to make sure i didnt recieve a DOA Ramps board? - i can upload things to the Arduino Mega, and i can get all the LED's to flash on the Arduino and the Ramps with the test program. is that all i can check?
October 16, 2012 02:40PM
What I did was open the arduino serial monitor and start sending it GCODE by hand and watching the responses. I started with the end stops. I looked up the code for the current possible of the end stops. I pressed them down one at a time and sent the Gcode and checked to see if they worked.
October 16, 2012 08:02PM
when the board is powered on do the motor shafts have resistence to turning?

do you haev end stops disabled for testing in firmware?
October 16, 2012 10:52PM
Taking a step back for a moment, any of the following could cause the problem.

Drivers inserted the wrong way around on the ramps board
Bad stepper wiring
Bad settings in configuration.h
Endstop settings in the firmware
Gain pots on the drivers at extreme settings

Verify the first two, as the previous poster stated, is there any resistance when you turn the motor by hand?
December 29, 2012 09:56PM
Try installing Sprinter, which does have a choice for Ramps 1.4, and see if that works.
That will tell you that Marlin is the cause if it suddenly all works, or that the hardware is the cause, if it continues to behave the same way.
That way you can focus on troubleshooting just one system.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login