Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Manufacturetron, the next stage in reprap evolution

Posted by Adouglas89 
Manufacturetron, the next stage in reprap evolution
January 19, 2021 10:22AM
I would like to try to get into a useful discussion about an idea I have been trying in vain to advance for a very long time. I have not been able to do much physical work on it, and software is not something I am good at, so all I can do is discuss and think really. Yet it has been a rare case where I have been able to find anyone who even understands the value of the idea.

The value is pretty straightforward though: Being able to make objects out of plastic, metals, etc. is valuable. Ideally, of any shape desired, and to high accuracy. And fast and cheaply. You can't do that very well with existing printers, cnc machines or any other manufacturing process. The Manufacturetron is a major step forward here.

You can see the explanation of how it works at the link below, it is as good an explanation as I can give, so no sense in re writing one, really.

But fundamentally, it uses a combination of cnc machining, with automatic tool changer, and non-selective deposition to make a mold, the mold is then used to make the object, and then disintegrated.

Ideas on how to advance the software are particularly welcome.
[www.sensorica.co]
VDX
Re: Manufacturetron, the next stage in reprap evolution
January 19, 2021 11:31AM
... similar ideas were tested in various occasions -- private/hobby and comercially ... me too was involved in a R&D-project to develop a "multi-purpose-manufacturing-machine", that should be based on a 6DOF-robot and exchangeable toolheads for CNC-milling, 3D-coordinate-measurement, laser-cutting and -engraving, paste-dispensing/jetting, FDM-3D-printing (laser, dispensing/jetting and FDM-printing was my part), plasma-cutting ... and maybe some more ideas with time (e.g. waterjet-cutting ...).

Most of this attempts were canceled over time for the sheer developing costs and the target price-level of the complete machine, what's way above a set of different machines, every specialized on a single task.

The only working/successfull multihead-combination I'm aware of, is CNC-milling combined with an exchangeable SLS- or DLM-toolhead ...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/19/2021 11:33AM by VDX.

Viktor
--------
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - [reprap.org] -- Deutsche Facebook-Gruppe - [www.facebook.com]

Call for the project "garbage-free seas" - [reprap.org]
January 19, 2021 12:23PM
Yeah, it doesn't much resemble existing approaches. There are some people who have tried similar approaches, but it stayed in the science world, never being brought out. Shape deposition manufacturing is one similar idea.

[www.cs.cmu.edu]
VDX
January 19, 2021 01:00PM
... we discussed similar ideas (and more) here in the forum too over the last 14 years -- could be, some of this science projects are inspired or related to our discussions/brainstorming ... IIRC, some guys from Stanford and other R&D-groups were involved too smoking smiley

Viktor
--------
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - [reprap.org] -- Deutsche Facebook-Gruppe - [www.facebook.com]

January 19, 2021 09:49PM
Maybe. But as Thomas edison said, genius is 1 percent inspiration and 99 percent perspiration. It's about doing the work to make the machine real, and having the workplace, equipment, colleagues etc. to do that.
January 20, 2021 01:28PM
Ok. That sure didn't work.
January 20, 2021 02:59PM
Sadly, almost nobody here does the free exchange of ideas "spitballing" as it used to be called. When the forum was young it was common for any idea with any merit to generate considered comment and often lengthy debate. Now the most you can expect is about 25% comments about your idea being "interesting" - nice, but not very informative, or, on the other hand, about 75% comments of various levels of negativity.

This was also true of most forums, and even of the Usenet groups (ask any Methuselah) in the past. All of these started as stimulating and interesting places but are now almost moribund.

Mike
VDX
January 20, 2021 03:36PM
... it's maybe even more weird -- nearly every "intresting" idea, we started in this forum and built some prototypes (and even some start-ups) were "overrun" by chinese cheapish clones, what effectively destroyed many groups and attempts eye rolling smiley

Viktor
--------

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login