Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Can an icebag be 3-d printed

Posted by DejadoPOR muerto 
Can an icebag be 3-d printed
February 16, 2021 09:37AM
Hi, new here.

I just wonder if there exist a printer that can 3d print some textile (no print on, but print it directly) or fabric / related waterproof material and create, let's say, an ice bag for fever or swelling.

It that possible today?
Attachments:
open | download - icebag2021.jpg (47.8 KB)
VDX
Re: Can an icebag be 3-d printed
February 16, 2021 12:22PM
... why 3D-printing, if it's much more efficient and durable, if made from (prefabbed and sewed/glued) textile- and plastic sheets?

Viktor
--------
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - [reprap.org] -- Deutsche Facebook-Gruppe - [www.facebook.com]

Call for the project "garbage-free seas" - [reprap.org]
February 16, 2021 02:10PM
Hi Viktor!
Because the icebag is just a test for the real goal of my project. The icebag is the elemental idea because it has the materials, but my project can not be made in the way you say.
VDX
February 16, 2021 06:29PM
... the structure of an icebag can be 3D-printed -- but the mechanical strength/durability would be only a fraction, compared to a conventional fabbed ... or you construct a sort of "3D-printing loom" with much thinner filament (I've made some tests and concepts with 0.3mm Nylon-filament, as used for tooth-brushes) ...

Viktor
--------
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - [reprap.org] -- Deutsche Facebook-Gruppe - [www.facebook.com]

February 17, 2021 06:29AM
I think the answer is yes. The big question is why?
The point of the bag is to be flexible so as to adapt its shape for different usages. Whereas most 3D printed objects have a specific shape and are intended to be rigid (or semi rigid).
The home 3D printer is relatively simple and usually produces rigid objects. So not really suitable.
To use flexible materials for a non rigid object may need the use of the more technical commercial processes. These can use complex mixing systems and/or sintering type processes for easier support. This is expensive and complex so begs the question why not just make the bag?
The bag can be made just using sheet material and a 2D cutter (laser ?), then add a 3D printed top cap. If you can't get the bag material you probably can't get the 3D printing material either.
VDX
February 17, 2021 07:15AM
... there are some "rigid but felxible too" designs, similar to chainmail - it's mostly like a "3D-puzzle" of many interconected small (rigid) elements ... but mostly printed more for fun/show/demonstration, as for real use objects.

Here some examples - [www.thingiverse.com]

Another solution is to print many small rigid structures on an elastic sheet - then you'll get something like "dragon-skin" with protective scales on the outside ...

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/17/2021 07:17AM by VDX.

Viktor
--------

February 17, 2021 09:06AM
cnc bag welder, 2 sheets of plastic & a really hot tshirt press, custom die
February 17, 2021 01:29PM
Hello to all the posters that replied!
I have read, I read it twice, maybe trice but I still dont understand very well your ideas. I just have a chemistry and microbiology degree, no engineering or related, plus I am not associated with with molding, laser stuff, etc.
Okay, I am thinking what to say/ask without divulging my project..
I am also afraid to ask for partnership here since I dont know the police of the forum, dont know what to do
wait..

Okay, let's say the project is this:
[patents.google.com]
or this other:
[patents.google.com]

Can this be printed in a flexible material similar to the icebags?

As I said before, I dont know if ask for partnership here is a violation of the police of this forum, so I apologise..
Anybody here with desire to join me in this startup?

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 02/17/2021 01:45PM by DejadoPOR muerto.
February 17, 2021 03:53PM
grabs a bag of frozen pees & retires to a dark room to consider the problem
VDX
February 17, 2021 04:12PM
... this can easily be printed with a dual-dispenser (not FDM-extruder!) setup - one filled with a "water-soluble support-material", the other with air-hardened or UV-cured silicone (then maybe a pause for drying or UV-curing per layer)

Viktor
--------

February 20, 2021 07:05PM
what about creating some moulding slime-gel for quick custom shapes(or some other freezable chicken fillets) that you can pop in the freezer, does it need to be ice? Though might still need a membrane to keep it off skin.
February 21, 2021 06:29AM
Although 3D printing of the actual icebag may be a major challenge, it is possible that a mold or formwork Edit: can be 3d printed for the icebag to be made or assembled on might be a more practical answer.

I am guessing that the main reason for wanting to make things like icebags by 3D printing is so that they can be made to an exact fit for each user or patient. While having an intermediate step such as making the mold/tool/jig for making the end product will be more time-consuming it does mean that the customized fit can be made at least reasonably quickly.

Shoemakers make custom shoes by carving blocks of wood to the exact dimensions of the customer's feet and then using these blocks, called "lasts" to make the shoes around.

Mike

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/21/2021 09:22AM by leadinglights.
VDX
February 21, 2021 11:32AM
... should be easier than with "individual" helmets -- as 3D-dispensing with silicone gives highly elastic parts, you only need a decent set of head-sizes ... minor differences will be averaged by the "elasticity" ...

Viktor
--------

February 23, 2021 07:29AM
Hello there.

So intriguing ideas and concepts but I don't understand an atom of 3d printing or engineering not matter how many times you will tell me. I am just a Microbiologist.

Already a very negligent young company of Netherlands (and Italy) -- I wont say the name publicly, and I will not talk about this here -- made me spent lot of monies in this and the product was horrible in all aspects despite I was months explaining with detail how to do it. they just stole my money with lies and falsities.

Okay, I put two examples of what medical/health device is my project, is not an ice bag. It just was created using the concept of the ice bag to cool with H2O and/or gel. The idea is to compete against those companies that still have the same concept of 100 years ago. Maybe some parts can be 3d printed and others can be made at hand?

If out there is somebody interested to help me to make this a start-up, a very small company, please PM me. I have lists of potential customers in South and Central America and Spain already. If successfully helped, I will share rights and revenues with that people.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 02/23/2021 09:56AM by DejadoPOR muerto.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login