Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

A Short Article I Found Interesting

Posted by Sniper4395 
A Short Article I Found Interesting
October 18, 2012 08:14AM
These guys seem to think that 3D printing will be in every home by 2015 and they'll use melted nylon powder as opposed to ABS/PLA filament.

3D printing is a mainstream consumer product

Until recently, this technology was extremely expensive - upwards of $15,000 per machine - and limited to use in industrial prototyping, product design, medical modeling and architectural models.* However, plummeting costs are now making it affordable to consumers.**

Rather than using ink on paper, these machines can actually "print" 3D objects. This is achieved by melting nylon powder and then shaping it based on computer instructions.

Countless different items can be produced – from jewellery and decorative giftware, to children's toys, kitchenware, replacement plugs, hooks, pipes, fittings, flooring and other household essentials.

Users can download new items and configurations from the Web.* Artists and hobbyists can even create their own, using these printers in combination with 3D scanners and modeling software.

In addition to falling costs, another reason that home 3D printing has taken off rapidly is that there is very little manufacturing being done in America and various other countries anymore. As a result, there is little or no pressure by manufacturing special interests against it.

In the decades ahead, this technology will evolve into nanofabricators, capable of reproducing items with atomic precision within minutes. It will ultimately lead to matter replicators with near-instantaneous production of virtually any object – including foodstuffs.

-Tom
Re: A Short Article I Found Interesting
October 18, 2012 09:25AM
Wow. They're citing an article from 2007...

- akhlut

Just remember - Iterate, Iterate, Iterate!

[myhomelessmind.blogspot.com]
October 18, 2012 09:44AM
This probably is the article from 2007. I just now read it. haha

Still it tells us that "futurists" (at least at that time) underestimate technology in some ways and overestimate it in other ways. 3D printers are cheap and avaliable today for any joe to build/buy and print with, but no way will they be in every modern home by 2015. Manufacturing, at least in the states, is slower, but not nearly to the point that this article sugests.

An interesting read if you've never read it before and it should be an interesting review for those who read this back in 2007.

On a side note the "nylon powder" part got me thinking about silk again. I used to grow silk worms for fun. You can kill a silk worm that's almost ready to start cocooning then gut it and stretch out the blob of silk inside to make silk cord. This is an old-fashioned way to make fly-fishing lures. Silk on it's own I *think* can be melted. Who doesnt want to see a 3D printed silkworm made of silk? haha nah I'm not sure if it can be thermoformed.

-Tom
VDX
October 18, 2012 10:11AM
AFAIK there are some patents describing receipes and methodes for creating 'technical' silk with similar properties as natural - but until recently hadn't heard of someone making this commercially confused smiley

Viktor
--------
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - [reprap.org] -- Deutsche Facebook-Gruppe - [www.facebook.com]

Call for the project "garbage-free seas" - [reprap.org]
October 18, 2012 10:30AM
I'd also give a go at the incredibly strong web filament some spiders can produce. Maybe that's also "silk" technically ?

Most of my technical comments should be correct, but is THIS one ?
Anyway, as a rule of thumb, always double check what people write.
VDX
October 18, 2012 10:43AM
... yes, spider-web material is essentially the same as silk, but with different mechanical properties, as spiders have the ability to 'knit' many single strands to a strong string and/or apply droplets of glue and 'tweak' it for elasticity or better adhesion properties ...

Viktor
--------
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - [reprap.org] -- Deutsche Facebook-Gruppe - [www.facebook.com]

Call for the project "garbage-free seas" - [reprap.org]
October 18, 2012 10:49AM
Yep. Spiders web is silk. The only difference is that silkworms spin a single thread and spiders spin segments to create their webs. You can actually soak spider webs in soap water, "comb" it (like one would comb wool from sheep fur) and then spin it into silk yarn if you can find enough. Check your basement or attic. Should find enough to knit a sweater!

VDX who said anything about commercial production? "Silkworm Gut" as it's called when you pull it out of live worms was only a commercial product for a short time. It just seems like it would be fun to try and extrude it to see if it can be done. Of course I'm not about to start growing worms again. The female says I have too many projects already :-/

That doesnt mean I wont be out collecting spider webs! If only to see if it will actually melt.

-Tom
October 18, 2012 10:56AM
VDX is spot on. Think the sticky stuff is called sericin if memory serves right. silkworm coccoons have it too. You just soak them in warm water with a little detergent to get it loose, run a toothbrush on the coccoon to find the filament end, spin about 10 threads together to make string and then you can wash it in detergent water again to really make it shine or sew something and then wash it. Etiher way it comes off easily leaving shiny thread behind. Not so shiny when in yarn form, but warmer than wool.

-Tom
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login