Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Issue with DvD drive stepper motor for 3d printer

Posted by JavedWilde 
Issue with DvD drive stepper motor for 3d printer
April 01, 2021 09:07AM
Short version:

1: Is it possible to run just the stepper motors (pulled out of a DVD Drive) using either a 5v 2a mobile charger or a 9v battery plugged into the Ramps 1.6 power input?

2: what could be a possible issue for "echo: busy: processing" message on pronterface. I believe its not an issue with the extruder or bed temp reading.

Long version:

A year ago I tried building a 3dprinter using some DVD stepper motors. I was using two stepper motors, two a4988 stepper motor drivers, ramps 1.6, and Arduino mega. I didn't get anything else since I was not sure if I will be able to make a functional printer properly and didn't want to pointlessly invest in the hardware. For power, I was using a power bank with 2A 5V output. The steppers were working fine as expected. I kinda dumped the project since i got an ender 3.

Recently I decided to get back to it just for fun, tho this time I was using a different power source. It was a power adapter to charge cellphones and it had the same output. However this time none of the stepper motors moved. I tried everything, i kept getting "echo:busy: processing" on pronterface every time I tried to move an axis.

Im assuming the steppers could be busted but i don't have a lot of ways to test it.

So my questions are

1: Can i use a 9v battery to test out just the x and y axis or do i need a 12v smps?
2: can anyone explain wat could be the possible issue for echo message. I've tried to add/remove jumper wires to the extruder and bed temp pins (t0,t1 pins), so I'm assuming this cant be the issue.
3: If anyone has ever made a 3d printer using similar stuff, can u share your experience, and wat challenges u faced

also, sorry for sounding insanely dumb, and asking such trivial questions instead of trying them out. I'm an absolute beginner with arduinos and i live in the middle of nowhere so amazon is my only friend when i need something, better to ask here instead of waiting for a week for a mere battery smiling smiley Thanks

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/01/2021 09:08AM by JavedWilde.
Re: Issue with DvD drive stepper motor for 3d printer
April 02, 2021 04:28AM
hi,

dvd steppers are no use for 3DP axis drive ,they may be ok for light weight pen plotters but nowhere near good enough for a printer. "didn't want to pointlessly invest in the hardware" a good set of nema 17 never considered pointless.aint sure about the echo message but you checked the baurd rates the same between software and and hardware.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login