Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Noisy power supply fan

Posted by dekutree64 
Noisy power supply fan
April 23, 2021 01:32AM
Before I rip into my power supply (standard 24V/15A kind found in most Creality printers and many others), I thought I'd check if anyone else has already solved this problem. With TMC2209 drivers and relatively quiet hotend/part cooling fans, I can't really hear any noise from my printer besides the obnoxiously loud whirr of the power supply fan. It's the kind that automatically changes speed based on the power draw, so I'm not sure if I can simply replace it. But perhaps I can replace just the bladed part, using one of the designs from Major Hardware's youtube show smiling smiley

Does anyone have any tips/tricks/tales of failure to guide my quest for a silent printer?
Re: Noisy power supply fan
April 23, 2021 02:31PM
The reason my psu's either get a new fan inside, or one fan I had was the right size but too deep, so it had to be screwed to the outside, really hoping I wont have to do it for the meanwell...but many people have.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/23/2021 02:32PM by MechaBits.
April 24, 2021 02:50AM
Ah, should have checked youtube first. There are lots of videos showing how to replace the fan with larger/quieter types.
April 26, 2021 07:54PM
The most effective ways I've found to quieten a fan are;-

1) Paint all the surfaces to reduce drag. Be careful not to get any paint inside the fan.

2) Give it an overnight soak in WD40, drain, shake and dry thorouhly before plugging in.
April 26, 2021 09:31PM
Surely smooth peanut butter is better?
April 26, 2021 11:11PM
DragonFire

1) Paint all the surfaces to reduce drag. Be careful not to get any paint inside the fan.

2) Give it an overnight soak in WD40, drain, shake and dry thorouhly before plugging in.

1) What sort of magic paint is that? Which surfaces are you painting- the blade? the housing?

2) Did you know that WD40 isn't actually a lubricant, but it can be a pretty good degreaser (as in taking the lube out of bearings). It's hard to believe that would quiet a fan, unless it stopped turning completely.

If you really want to quiet a fan down, run it at low voltage (which will reduce speed) unless it uses mag-lev bearings (Sunon).

Ultra MegaMax Dominator 3D printer: [drmrehorst.blogspot.com]
April 27, 2021 05:22AM
I just changed my 40mm fan for a sunon its now much louder than before maybe I got a fake, cant you just add some resistors to the line(maybe not with the maglev)
April 27, 2021 07:05AM
Sunon fans aren't the quietest fans in the world, but they're reliable. If you drop the speed too much the maglev bearings don't work right (that's the scuttlebutt).

April 27, 2021 07:15AM
I was hoping that maglev meant less friction, less noise, but thought all worked on similar principle ie 2 parts never touching, brushless no scraping brushes but still has bearings, or maybe not just a shaft in a smooth hole. Though probably most of the noise is from the blade design.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/27/2021 07:21AM by MechaBits.
April 27, 2021 09:07AM
I think fan noise is mostly from the air moving and/or the way the blades interact with the air, even in the cheapo fans.

April 29, 2021 12:51AM
the_digital_dentist
DragonFire

1) What sort of magic paint is that? Which surfaces are you painting- the blade? the housing?

2) Did you know that WD40 isn't actually a lubricant, but it can be a pretty good degreaser (as in taking the lube out of bearings). It's hard to believe that would quiet a fan, unless it stopped turning completely.

If you really want to quiet a fan down, run it at low voltage (which will reduce speed) unless it uses mag-lev bearings (Sunon).

1) Not magic paint, but gloss or metallic for best results. Everywhere there is airflow, careful hand painting is good enough. I would guess acetone vape would give similar result (nearly always Abs plastic used). In the same way that an aircraft flies slightly faster with a paint job. The smoother airflow more than compensates for a tiny increase in mass.

2) WD40 is a contact switch cleaner. Brushless motor with preferably no dust. Think about it... winking smiley
April 29, 2021 09:40AM
DragonFire

2) WD40 is a contact switch cleaner. Brushless motor with preferably no dust. Think about it... winking smiley

Indeed, nothing like a good contact cleaner for a brushless motor ! Perfect to improve the contact between the bearings and shaft too !

"A comical prototype doesn't mean a dumb idea is possible" (Thunderf00t)
April 29, 2021 12:51PM
I'm out...

April 29, 2021 01:58PM
the_digital_dentist
I'm out...

Just when it starts to be funny ? smiling smiley

"A comical prototype doesn't mean a dumb idea is possible" (Thunderf00t)
April 29, 2021 05:23PM
Hammerite for those golfball dimples?
April 29, 2021 05:56PM
MKSA
the_digital_dentist
I'm out...

Just when it starts to be funny ? smiling smiley

I'm in the US. In the last 4 years I've had more than enough "humor" to last a lifetime.

April 29, 2021 11:56PM
Imagine some politician saying we are going to build back better...a real kick in the teeth to those who thought they were doing a great job...and because they aint the ones who wrecked it, it was the politicians...time to get their hands dirty...but no higher taxes for those who cant afford to hide.
May 17, 2021 01:51PM
DragonFire

You are aware I hope that WD40 is a penetrating oil lubricant. It is a viscous oil thinned generously with a solvent so it penetrates well. The drawback to using it for any long term lubrication is that the solvent evaporates and the oil thickens to about (as has been mentioned) peanut butter consistency. Using it on a small low power fan is just asking for failure sooner rather than later as the lubricant thickens and halts the fan.

This is in addition to what the solvent might do to the insulation on the wiring.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/17/2021 01:53PM by wildone.
May 24, 2021 09:33PM
Oh. I thought the OP was asking for tried and tested methods of noise reduction.

I mean, contact switch cleaner eating insulation? What's it made out of, cheese?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/24/2021 09:35PM by DragonFire.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login