Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

"Best" printable(open source) 3d printer?

Posted by Speedsoda 
"Best" printable(open source) 3d printer?
October 25, 2012 07:16AM
Hi

I've had a preassembled 3d printer for a few months now, and I'm starting to understand the ins and outs of the whole thing. However, I'm starting to feel sort of limited by my printer and I want to make a better one. My main considerations are a bigger build volume (currently 100x100x120 mm or so) and faster printing(currently topping out at 40-50 mm/s before I get extrusion problems), and a neater design/look wouldn't be too bad either. And of course, the fun of building a new one should not be underestimated. =)

But without knowing much about all the different types of printers, I really can't make a good decision. I've been looking at 3d printers on thingiverse, and the Rostock delta type printer caught my eye. It certainly looks nice, but it seems like too much of a hassle. There's no real firmware etc... Plus the benefits are not entirely obvious to me. Anyway, I'm sure there are a lot of pros and cons of all the printers but:

Are there any 3d printer designs that stands out as slightly better in some way, than many others? I need some help deciding which 3d printer is a good way to go. =)
Re: "Best" printable(open source) 3d printer?
October 25, 2012 07:27AM
I feel the same as you do. Wanting to build a second printer, looking for the same things, love the Rostock, but it looks too "young" right now for us noobs to be building.

After looking through the options out there I'm considering the MendelMax. It's got a sexy extruded aluminum frame, is reportedly super reliable, prints fast, large build volume, not too different from your average Prusa derivative, ect, ect.

And as for one that looks neat. Check this out! Pick your own colors too. Talked with the sellers once and they replied quickly so I've got high hopes for them. Oh also they have the kit in several different price ranges depending on how much of the printer you want to source yourself.

Possible downside to those guys is they redesigned the Y carriage/plate thingy I think to fit their preferred bushings so you may have to change up the build a tiny bit.

-Tom
Re: "Best" printable(open source) 3d printer?
October 25, 2012 04:52PM
Plenty of pictures of how to build a Prusa i3 (it's from a kit) [78.47.92.212]
I am building Rostock too. You can't go wrong with this printer. Though it is in early stage of development, but it suceed doing its job.
As other point out, the quality of print is related of your construction build quality and your knowledge of electronic-mechanic interaction.
Setting up dan tuning this printer isn't easy as for any X,Y,Z movement, all motors are always moving together. But in the end, it's worthed.
You can get fast moving, rigid, and nice looking printer!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login