Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

QU-BD Extruder is Beatutiful (PICS) - Need Your Thoughts On Mounting smiling bouncing smiley

Posted by Idolcrasher 
QU-BD Extruder is Beatutiful (PICS) - Need Your Thoughts On Mounting smiling bouncing smiley
October 27, 2012 01:13PM
My QU-BD Extruders Arrived in the mail! I supported the QU-BD kickstarter campaign for 3 extruders smiling smiley

Two Pre-Assembled

Plus One DIY Kit

I would like to ask for your wisdom on attaching one of these to a "standard" "Prusa-Style" X-Axis.

In particular, I want to mount one of these to the ecksbot I am building winking smiley

While I could simply drill the printed x-axis I have right now, I was looking for a more elegant solution winking smiley

How would you guys recommend a QU-BD extruder be mounted to a RepRap?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/27/2012 01:33PM by Idolcrasher.

FabberForge - Printing Happiness

[www.fabberforge.com]
Re: QU-BD Extruder is Beatutiful (PICS) - Need Your Thoughts On Mounting smiling bouncing smiley
October 27, 2012 02:28PM
Can you post the dimensions of that plate? Maybe scan it on a flatbed scanner?

- akhlut

Just remember - Iterate, Iterate, Iterate!

[myhomelessmind.blogspot.com]
Re: QU-BD Extruder is Beatutiful (PICS) - Need Your Thoughts On Mounting smiling bouncing smiley
October 27, 2012 03:27PM
Here is a drawing...albiet a 'messy' one that needs to be cleaned up of the plate and an STL version.

2D PDF Drawing

3D STL Mounting Plate
October 27, 2012 03:37PM
Fantastic! smiling smiley

- akhlut

October 27, 2012 07:21PM
I will probably go to town on the ecksbot x-carriage with my dremel and drill winking smiley

I am still excited to see what people develop for this extruder though smiling smiley
October 27, 2012 07:42PM
how thick is that plate?

- akhlut

October 27, 2012 07:45PM
1.57mm thick
October 27, 2012 07:46PM
Thank you!
smiling smiley

- akhlut

October 29, 2012 03:10AM
Hi Idolcrasher

I would love to hear how it performs once you get it up and running!

Jonas
October 29, 2012 10:47AM
Well... As much as it breaks my heart... These extruders are going into standby.

I could not "reasonably" attach a QU-BD extruder to an ecksbot x-carriage; god knows I tried. I have other solutions ready to get my ecksbot printing, so my QU-BD extruders get to sit in the corner sad smiley

I do wish QU-BD would reveal exactly which RepRap x-carriages they consider ready for a QU-BD extruder.
October 29, 2012 02:56PM
I am printing with a qu-bd single extruder on this x-carrage:

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:12481

It works okay, but not great. It is a little difficult to work on, and the clearance between the extruder hotend and the carriage is very close. I broke the leads off of my heat element while taking it apart, totally my fault.

You have to mount the hotend just right for it to fit. I was planning on creating a new very soon. I will upload to thingiverse when I do.
October 29, 2012 03:47PM
Great, thanks man.
October 29, 2012 04:34PM
When in doubt.... Duct tape!

-Tom
October 29, 2012 04:57PM
It's probably better to mount this extruder on a vertical x-carriage like the one in the Prusa i3 instead of the horizontal ones like the ones on the Prusa i2 and earlier.
October 29, 2012 05:00PM
Sniper4395 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> When in doubt.... Duct tape!

Haha smiling smiley

Yeah, that's why I said I can't mount it "reasonably" to an ecksbot carriage winking smiley
November 01, 2012 11:57AM
Akhlut designed a really nifty carriage for me to try out!

GitHub For Akhlut's Carriage

I may have to turn the heater block to void hitting the heater cartridge into the carriage, but this looks very promising!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/02/2012 02:38AM by Idolcrasher.
November 01, 2012 12:29PM
That heater cartridge is problematic...

The main problem (as far as I can see) is that damn cartridge. I'll extend the carriage itself, which will push the LM8UU's out of the way. This will let me move the mounting nuts to the outer positions. I can then remove the plastic that is getting in the way. Hopefully this will solve the problem. Wish I didn't have to - reduces print area. This needs optimization! smiling smiley

Then we just need to deal with the cartridge wires...need to put some cut-outs in to accommodate them.

But the mounting plate fits snugly and the hole alignment is proper? And does the hardware used to fasten the plate to the carriage protrude enough to prevent mounting the fan/heatsink/motor? Hope not. If it does maybe tapping the plate to M5 or similar imperial would be an answer - that would mean a slight modification, but not the end of the world.

Work in progress! smiling smiley

Just so everyone knows - the X-carriage in question is a derivative of the LM10UU derivative of richraps' Quick-fit X-Carriage. Credit must go to richrap for putting the original design out there! smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/01/2012 01:39PM by akhlut.

- akhlut

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login