Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Heated bubble

Posted by Petrus 
Heated bubble
October 28, 2012 12:33PM
A heated chamber for the whole printer is not very practical, but what about a heated bubble ?
Here is an article from 2008 : [blog.reprap.org]

I re-created it using a freezing bag, inflated with the extruder fan :

The air inside the bubble is heated by the heated bed only.
I still need to improve it by sealing the bottom, but I think it's a very good idea.
Attachments:
open | download - bubble.JPG (165.9 KB)
Re: Heated bubble
October 29, 2012 12:56PM
I like this idea.
I have a rather weak nichrome heater which cannot raise the bed temperature higher than 80°C and this might be what is needed for it to reach 100°C.

Will give it a try and report back.
Thanks for the post!

--------------------------------------------------------
3D extruder performance tests
dzach's ORDbot Hadron build
November 09, 2012 12:55PM
I tried to do it but did not succeed.

One problem was how to secure the bag on the X plate, so that the extruder fan would help inflate it. The fan is 50mm and I doubt it didn't seem powerful enough to keep it inflated.

The other problem was the bag limiting XY motion of the Hadron OrdBot bed. Maybe the bag was not big enough. I'll try to find a bigger one made of some heat resistant plastic and give it another go.
November 10, 2012 01:55PM
On my extruder I Use a 40mm fan salvaged from a server blade, it's very powerful for the size, it can inflate the bag even at low speed. The bag is also 25µm thin so it inflate easily.
November 15, 2012 03:45PM
I printed the same object with and without the plastic bag :

Left : without bag, right : with the bag

The printed object is a sub-d cover I designed : [www.thingiverse.com]
November 15, 2012 07:23PM
It looks significantly better. No visible warping. Is it ABS?
Any more details on the printing conditions?
November 15, 2012 08:10PM
There is still a little bit of warping, but it is far better.
Yes it's ABS, printed on glass with mat varnish for better adhesion, the heated bed was at 100°C during the entire print.
November 16, 2012 02:55AM
I have a very open printer and have been having issues with printing tall thin items. I assume due to heat differential as you point out. So I decided to make a cover from PVC pipe and some heavy plastic sheeting.

I don't have a door on the front yet, I plan using a clear one so I can watch the print but a towel works for testing right now. I am doing my first tests today so I don't know how well it will work but I can say it's quite a bit hotter inside the tent than outside with the heated bed on.
Attachments:
open | download - Covered1.jpg (54.3 KB)
open | download - Covered2.jpg (21.7 KB)
November 16, 2012 08:04AM
My low-tech solution was to put a kitchen garbage bag over the machine and poke a hole in it for the filament to pass through. Works like a charm. Just need the bag to extend below the heated bed to keep the hot air in.

- akhlut

Just remember - Iterate, Iterate, Iterate!

[myhomelessmind.blogspot.com]
November 16, 2012 09:52PM
I was thinking about one of those bags you use to cook a turkey. Don't know if one would be big enough but it should be able to take the extra heat.

Roy
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login