Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Where can I get PLA pellets?

Posted by knarf2012 
Where can I get PLA pellets?
October 28, 2012 02:20PM
I heard about filabot and other similar machines. These are a great idea, but I can't seem to find any suppliers for PLA plastic pellets, except for one, which can only ship truckloads. Does anyone know about another supplier of PLA pellets?
Re: Where can I get PLA pellets?
November 26, 2012 11:53AM
Who is the company that will ship a truckload? Did they give an estimate $/lb?
November 26, 2012 11:57AM
on my list...

[www.bioresins.eu]
[www.natureworksllc.com]
[www.plasticscrap.us]

Add this to my frustration with the non-open source nature of business. There must be at least 50 reprap filament suppliers for PLA, and not one says who there source is? I imagine it would be similar to other industries where 6 companies or so dominate the supply chain (i.e., Kraton, Chagrill, Shell, Exxon, Dow, etc).
VDX
November 26, 2012 04:21PM
... in my village is a company that makes all sorts of pellets - [www.color-service.de]

I've got some kg-probes of ABS-pellets, PLA-beads and thermoplastic pigments from them for testing, but AFAIK they will provide only companies confused smiley

Viktor
--------
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - [reprap.org] -- Deutsche Facebook-Gruppe - [www.facebook.com]

Call for the project "garbage-free seas" - [reprap.org]
November 26, 2012 04:33PM
I acknowledge your frustrated emoticon and shared your emotions at one point. Now that I've dealt with many companies for my businesses, I realize there are many reasons companies do this as I have learned. I'll try to summarize it briefly:

1) You have to have double margins - one for manufactuer to resellers, and one for the reseller to consumers. If the consumers realize that wholesale is often at least 40% less expensive, they will constantly be trying to hit up the main supplier for direct sales. That leads us to 2).

2) Most suppliers or division are in fact not big, they just leverage an image that they are legit and big. They are infact often 2-5 people. They could not possible deal with all the sales calls, leads, and follow ups needed to sell direct to consumer. Plus the number of issues of management would arise dealing with so many clientele. For this reason, they will find distributors as middle men. In exchange, they will often have to "give up" large pieces of territory as exclusive to those wholesalers/distributors. In exchange, the wholesaler gets full control, and the manufacturer gets to direct all clients and sales force issues to them. However, as a result, they are obligated to NOT sell to you by contract directly, because it is their distributors region

3) The basic hassle of dealing with small orders. When I thought of selling filaments direct to consumer, and then realized there are ~100 filament reselling companies, I realized it would be both difficult and not worth the additional mark-up. Take Taulman Filament as an example. How many of you have heard of his (supposedly awesome nylon) for reprap (I haven't tried) ? I do not believe he sells any way other than D2C, as a result he gets more markup, but he has to single handedly deal with all the issues and has lower visibility. Do you want to be 100% owner of a small company, or part owner of a multi million dollar company?

I hope this sheds light on some of the issues from a maker and businesspersons perspective.
December 26, 2012 06:18PM
Nice summary. I agree re: Taulman Nylon. It really is an excellent printing material but not that well known. I am sure in part that is because he only sells direct (at least in the U.S.).
April 01, 2013 01:39AM
Dear Sir ,

We are PLA filament manufacture from Tianjin China .

We can supply you PLA filament for 3D printer .

Please contact me : nancy@glorytang.com

Waiting your soon reply .

Best Regards
Nancy
April 01, 2013 03:35AM
If someone had a way to grind up PLA, I have a bunch from screw up prints, Calibration, And being just plain stupid when printing smiling smiley. Just a thought.. I bet there are others out there like me that has probably thrown away a lot of screwed up parts.
Steve
April 01, 2013 05:19AM
im considering making an ingot mold, just like a 4x4x4" cube out of aluminum and then melting down all of my old and failed abs prints, then i can just put my dremel on my machine and mill the plastic to make parts that need to be 100% fill, but they will be much stronger, and all of the off cuts can be recycled using the same process.
Try Nature Works.
May 03, 2013 01:18PM
OS Printing llc. has started to sell 2lb bags of PLA, ABS and HDPE pellets for a decent price. They also sell colorant masterbatches. This is the site that filastruder owners are being referred to for their pellet supplies.

[store.osprintingllc.com]
May 03, 2013 04:09PM
the biggest problem with buying pellets from anyone unless they are within driving distance is the added cost of shipping, and in most cases you may as well just go and buy some filament before buying the pellets simply due to cost,

i would have thought with the large number of people out there involved with the reprap there would be at least 1 chemistry nut out there who can decifer the process of making pla from cornstarch

-=( blog )=- -=( thingiverse )=- -=( 3Dindustries )=- -=( Aluhotend - mostly metal hotend)=--=( Facebook )=-

I'm having the idea of making my own extruder, but I'm also struggling to find a supplier for some kg's of PLA/ABS pellets...
Now I'm having this (crazy?) idea of using BBgun plastic pellets to feed my extruder.

Before I start making my extruder, I'd like to be sure that I have a supply of pellets ... waste of money if it turns out I can't find pellets...
So, do you guys think it would be possible to use the plastic BBgun ammo to feed my 3D printer?

Living in Belgium, Europe... hard to find a supplier in Europe sad smiley
June 02, 2013 09:32AM
Here's a loooong list of potential suppliers: [www.kunststoffspritzer.de]

Generation 7 Electronics Teacup Firmware RepRap DIY

So should I just send them an e-mail with the question if it would be possible to sell me only 10kg of ABS pellets? (in English, I really don't understand German)
June 20, 2013 05:34AM
james luis: how about you post your prices and I'm sure you'll get more business.

Ben
I have been working in the PLA field for the last few years.

Our Belgium-based company is currently supplying various grades of PLA pellets to the industry.
We are now looking for beta-testers in 3D printing applications:

* PLA samples will be delivered totally free of charge (including transport) in the form of pellets (no filament!)
* Preference will be given to EU seasoned users
* No catch! All that is required is your feedback as user
* Number of testers will be limited

Send your contact details to:
steve.dejonghe@looplife-polymers.eu

Please indicate: full name, city, country, printer type and a phone number.

Thank you,
July 12, 2013 10:30AM
Nobody noticed, but mister 'Knarf' has NEVER EVER checked back into this topic again, so all the posts are just useless in here.
July 12, 2013 02:26PM
Ohmarinus Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Nobody noticed, but mister 'Knarf' has NEVER EVER
> checked back into this topic again, so all the
> posts are just useless in here.

Sorry, but I disagree. I am very interested in the topic, having just taken delivery of a Filastruder and being in UK I would like to find a European supplier of pellets. Rather than spamming the forum with new topics I think replying to existing topics (or searching for and reading them) is a valid thing to do.

Again, as stated, just because the OP hasn't come back doesn't mean others are not interested in a topic.

Regards,
Craig
July 15, 2013 09:46PM
CraigRK Wrote:
> Ohmarinus Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> I am very interested in
> the topic, having just taken delivery of a
> Filastruder and being in UK I would like to find a
> European supplier of pellets.

[www.plastribution.co.uk]
Hello Steve!
I have a request from a client to supply him with 2100 Bio-degradable Green technology Plant pots per year.
These are Big Pots...400mm by 400mm by 900mm high.
I have a big 3D printer that can handle these pots, and it prints direct with Granuals!
In South Africa, I can get ABS, but no PLA Granuals.
Can you help?
Can I send you some pictures of my machine and pots?
Im using a highly modified Rapman 3.2
full name, city, country, printer type and a phone number.

Kind Regards

Hans Fouche
B.Ing (Mech) (Hons)
Phone +27 27 224 4397

Number 1 Martha street
Glen Marais,
Kempton Park
Gauteng
South Africa
Hans Fouche Wrote:
> Hello Steve!
> I have a request from a client to supply him with
> 2100 Bio-degradable Green technology Plant pots
> per year.
> These are Big Pots...400mm by 400mm by 900mm
> high.
> I have a big 3D printer that can handle these
> pots, and it prints direct with Granuals!
> In South Africa, I can get ABS, but no PLA
> Granuals.
> Can you help?
> Can I send you some pictures of my machine and
> pots?
> Im using a highly modified Rapman 3.2
> full name, city, country, printer type and a phone
> number.
>
> Kind Regards
>
> Hans Fouche
> B.Ing (Mech) (Hons)
> Phone +27 27 224 4397
>
> Number 1 Martha street
> Glen Marais,
> Kempton Park
> Gauteng
> South Africa

@Hans Fouche
Hi ,How are you ? This is james luis . I am also the supplier of pla pellet also abs pellet . If you still need it , I could give a price for your reference .Thank you ..My email is jamesinfooo@gmail.com skype is brooksun520 .
james luis
August 05, 2013 10:07AM
Simba Wrote:
> Who is the company that will ship a truckload?
> Did they give an estimate $/lb?

@Simba
Hi . This is james .I could supply you with pla pellet /abs pellet also filament as well .If you need ,please email me jamesinfooo@gmail.com pr add my skype jamesluis1162 Thanks
Dear All,

The first sampling phase is now over (see my previous message).
However, do not hesitate to drop us a message should you have a question about PLA pellets supply.

Best regards,

Steve Dejonghe
Looplife Polymers
August 14, 2013 08:25AM
I've just added a section for granules to the suppliers list: [reprap.org]

Sellers, please add yourself.

Generation 7 Electronics Teacup Firmware RepRap DIY

July 21, 2018 05:52PM
I have found that Filastruder sells generic pellets on their website for $3 USD a pound, But they only sell ABS and exotics...
https://www.filastruder.com/collections/pellets (I use ABS, so it works for me spinning smiley sticking its tongue out)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/21/2018 05:53PM by Davik.
August 01, 2018 05:56PM
[www.3dhubs.com]
[store.os3dp.com]

just a couple a simple google search will surely bring up something close to you
August 02, 2018 02:05AM
totalmedtech
[www.3dhubs.com]
[store.os3dp.com]

just a couple a simple google search will surely bring up something close to you

Yet it took you 5 years smiling smiley

"A comical prototype doesn't mean a dumb idea is possible" (Thunderf00t)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login