Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

PLA and ABS vs food safety?

Posted by PlastikBertrand 
Re: PLA and ABS vs food safety?
September 01, 2016 01:07PM
Pottery glazes FYI get fired to over 2000 F so that's out. Don't forget a mild bath in Clorox will sterilize. I'm a potter and make beer.

Folger Tech 2020 i3 and FT-5 as well as modified JGAurora A5 with direct drive E3D/Titan. All running the BLTOUCH.
Great kits. Having fun and running the heck out of them.
Running Marlin 1.1.0 RC8 on the i3 and FT5. Custom firmware on A5.
Folger Tech Wiki board >[folgertech.wikia.com]
September 21, 2017 06:04PM
Sometimes you have to put things in perspective.....eating a meal with an ABS fork every day for 10 years is like standing 10 minutes on the busiest of NYC's street corners. Slow poisoning vs quick(er).
Then we have to worry about what kind of plastic this bubble that we're living in is made of.

--------------------
I passed Devil's Advocacy 101
September 21, 2017 07:27PM
This one died a horrible death exactly one year ago so I guess they all are dead!!! Either they died from food poisoning from those glazed glass dishes that have those tiny cracks in the glaze called 'crazing', which trap bacteria, they died from trying to fire their PLA glasses with ceramic glazes at 2000 degrees, or just plain boredom. It's one of those things where, if you eat 100 pounds of a cranberries every day for 100 years, you will die from some disease. Remember that horrible scare years back? Just wait until the EMP'S start knocking out our grid and the world turns to crap! We'll see who turns down a meal served in an old clay pot.

Folger Tech 2020 i3 and FT-5 as well as modified JGAurora A5 with direct drive E3D/Titan. All running the BLTOUCH.
September 22, 2017 01:19AM
What is it with this thread that makes it so great for necro posts?
September 22, 2017 07:58AM
Had to look that one up on the Urban Dictionary. smiling smiley The topic is like the Energizer Bunny. It's one of those questions that you would expect to see on FaceBook 'forums'. I use the word 'forum' loosely for anything on Facebook since their 'forums' are totally useless.

September 22, 2017 10:04AM
How about my wooden spoons, salad bowls, and cutting boards. We should through all of those out because they are not safe? What about the insides of cabinets and drawers? My god somebody may die!
September 25, 2017 08:44AM
So wood is unsafe to eat out of?
September 25, 2017 09:50AM
Here we are worrying about whether PLA is safe to eat yet we buy all these foods from countries with no food safety standards and Congress voted to REMOVE the 'country of origin' labels from all products!!! My cat was killed by the Chinese when they substituted unsafe fillers into the cat food. True story. Do you honestly think the products you buy every day in WalMart are made with safe products in a safe environment? If you do, you are naive.

September 25, 2017 11:04AM
cwaa
So wood is unsafe to eat out of?

Wow, you really want an answer don't you? Try googling the answer, this thread died a while back. Wood is naturally antibacterial... Plastic isn't. What the 'safe' level of bacterial growth on your cutlery is up to you. With the volume of open space inside a printed object though it could quickly become a factory for bacteria. I'll take my wooden spoon any day over printed cutlery.

tjnamtiw
Here we are worrying about whether PLA is safe to eat yet we buy all these foods from countries with no food safety standards and Congress voted to REMOVE the 'country of origin' labels from all products!!! My cat was killed by the Chinese when they substituted unsafe fillers into the cat food. True story. Do you honestly think the products you buy every day in WalMart are made with safe products in a safe environment? If you do, you are naive.

I live in the UK where food standards are much higher. In fact, it is illegal to sell pet food that isn't safe for human consumption in this country.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/25/2017 11:07AM by Origamib.
September 25, 2017 01:03PM
Origamib

I live in the UK where food standards are much higher. In fact, it is illegal to sell pet food that isn't safe for human consumption in this country.

Hahaha. I hope your regulating bodies for food safety are better than ours! I doubt they worry too much about pets except for maybe all the Muslim's goats. (sarcasm to the max) I pity you guys.

September 26, 2017 04:57AM
tjnamtiw
Origamib

Hahaha. I hope your regulating bodies for food safety are better than ours! I doubt they worry too much about pets except for maybe all the Muslim's goats. (sarcasm to the max) I pity you guys.

Please don't use offending sentences of that sort, labelling it as sarcasm doesn't make it more acceptable.

Also for your information : The reason they make pet food safe for humans is because it is cheap. Living in a country which tends to go toward unregulated liberal economy creates more and more poverty. Poor people need to eat too, and some may decide to eat pet food.

Most of my technical comments should be correct, but is THIS one ?
Anyway, as a rule of thumb, always double check what people write.
September 26, 2017 08:54AM
[www.dogsnaturallymagazine.com]

September 29, 2017 06:15PM
Considering all of the previous comments, would a part made in an sla printer be safer?

Could UV light be used to sanitize a part after use with food?

Thanks

Nick
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login