Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

PLA non heated beds?

Posted by Enlightx 
PLA non heated beds?
November 04, 2012 03:56PM
just finished building a little printrbot lc for my office at work.

not got a heated bed as not willing to pay the expensive shipping cost to get one form the USA.

as i only print PLA didnt think it would be much of an issue.

just knocked out a couple of hollow pyramids to give it a test and came out very nice. other then the lift int he corners.

can people advise me on cold pla bed types/tapes?

i see the replicator 2 uses pla and has no heated bed and from pics seems to just be plastic?
Re: PLA non heated beds?
November 04, 2012 04:42PM
enlightx,
my prusa explorer using kapton tape.
i am just starting and still trying to work this out but that is what it has.
am very jealous that you can just 'knock out a couple of hollow pyramids'
regards,
roger
November 04, 2012 06:19PM
Hi,

Kapton tape seems to be the most used tape on non heated print beds for PLA print outs. I am using this one and yeilds good results.
November 04, 2012 06:47PM
I've lately been using sanded polycarb with 50% diluted PVA spread by my finger. The PVA sticks to the sanded polycarb and the PLA sticks to the PVA. No need to apply every time either.
November 04, 2012 10:55PM
Just to be clear, we're talking about non-heated beds, right? Because I haven't had luck with any of the solutions offered here so far on a cold bed. Blue painter's tape cleaned with some alcohol after applying is a sure thing.
November 05, 2012 12:06AM
Early on I had reasonable results using blue painters tape but it still lifted on larger objects as it cooled while printing plus the tape leaves it's pattern on the bottom of your print. There really is nothing as good as a heated bed for printing flat quality objects.

_________________________________________________________________________________________

Richmond, New Zealand
Thingiverse ~ YouTube
November 05, 2012 02:30PM
i got some PET tape from when i attempted ABS so might try that on a PLA Cold bed.

also i use PVA on heated glass might give PVA on cold blue tape a try for a laff.

will post back with the results.

get constant lift on a hollow pyramid so its a good test to see it either works
November 05, 2012 06:40PM
just had a try with watered down PVA

brushed it on blue PET tape tommrow
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login