Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

overnight print

Posted by rogerw 
overnight print
November 07, 2012 05:03PM
hi everyone,
did a print overnight last night - was a bit nervous letting it run by itself

i changed the setting in repetier to turn off the heater and motors when the job finsihed.
i made sure there was plenty of filiment available (haven't got a fancy holder yet).

is there any other things you normally do to get a good print / stop the house burning down ?

regards,
roger

Prusa 'Explorer' (3dStuffMaker), GEN6, J-head Mk III-B, Bowden Extruder, Marlin 1.0.0 RC2, Repitier-Host V0.84 and Slic3r 0.9.8, PLA. Live at Victoria, Australia.
Re: overnight print
November 07, 2012 05:10PM
1. Keep the area around your printer free of clutter. Especially flamables (duh!)
2. Invest in a smoke detector, and fire extinguisher.
3. Keep the extinguisher accessible, but not too close to that which might catch fire.
4. Sleep under the table.
November 07, 2012 07:35PM
ahhh yes - my wife has already told me to go sleep out in the office with that bloody thing smiling smiley

Prusa 'Explorer' (3dStuffMaker), GEN6, J-head Mk III-B, Bowden Extruder, Marlin 1.0.0 RC2, Repitier-Host V0.84 and Slic3r 0.9.8, PLA. Live at Victoria, Australia.
November 08, 2012 04:44PM
I run my 'experimental' printer at home on top of a cast iron stove surrounded by concrete floor/walls.

www.Fablicator.com
November 09, 2012 02:09AM
Print from an SD card. I print overnight quite a bit especially for the 4 hour or more prints and before I started printing from SD card my computer would either randomly crash or decide to do an update and reboot mid way smiling smiley

_________________________________________________________________________________________

Richmond, New Zealand
Thingiverse ~ YouTube
November 10, 2012 02:48PM
I've had windows reboot due to updates a few times halfway into a full plate print or something else usually printed overnight. Such a waste of plastic! I've since turned off automatic reboot for updates, but printing from an SD card is a smart thing to do.

--

Charles S.
Software Engineer
Prusa Mendel I2, RAMPS 1.4, Marlin 1.0 R2, Pronterface, Slic3r
November 10, 2012 05:27PM
Why not print from a $35 Raspberry Pi instead? More convenient than continually inserting and removing SD cards IMO.

Andy

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/10/2012 05:28PM by ajayre.
November 10, 2012 06:28PM
hi guys
can you explain what an sd card is/does?
roger

November 10, 2012 06:33PM
It stands for Secure Digital and allows you to print without connection to computer.
November 10, 2012 08:02PM
No idea what a raspberry pi is but it sound delicious.
An SD card is just a memory stick or ram-disk. You copy your STL onto the SD card then plug it into the card port on your controller and set the controller to print from that.

_________________________________________________________________________________________

Richmond, New Zealand
Thingiverse ~ YouTube
November 20, 2012 03:20PM
well did all of the above and left my print to run overnight.......
came back this morning and as i approached the office door (office is outside connected to my shed - very civilised) I could hear the machine still printing, Ohhh ohhh it can't be still printing after 6 hours. It was my wife on the treadmill (didn't even know she knew we had a treadmill).
Not sure who got the biggest fright/surprise. smiling smiley

November 20, 2012 11:46PM
rogerw Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> ... It was my wife on the
> treadmill (didn't even know she knew we had a
> treadmill).

I'm guessing your wife doesn't read this forum? smiling smiley

Richmond, New Zealand
Thingiverse ~ YouTube
November 20, 2012 11:55PM
no she doesn't . doesn't normally come into MY office either. will only last a week....

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login