Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Gen 6 borad firmwre upgrage?

Posted by 3eality 
Gen 6 borad firmwre upgrage?
November 11, 2012 05:26AM
I currently have a Gen-6 board on my printer. It is preloaded with FiveD firmware.

do you know if it supports Pronterface?

Thanks
Re: Gen 6 borad firmwre upgrage?
November 11, 2012 05:49AM
You need to change the Firmware anyway to match your printer. Any current Firmware is better then FiveD. But yes, it would work with pronterface.

Repetier-Software - the home of Repetier-Host (Windows, Linux and Mac OS X) and Repetier-Firmware.
Repetier-Server - the solution to control your printer from everywhere.
Visit us on Facebook and Twitter!
November 15, 2012 06:08AM
Thanks for the response Repetier,

Do you think Marlin firmware is a good replacement for my Gen 6?
November 15, 2012 06:11AM
Marlin and the Repetier-Firmware are both good in terms of print quality and work both with Repetier-Host. It depends more on which features are important for you and as developer of the repetier software I'm not the most objective :-)

Repetier-Software - the home of Repetier-Host (Windows, Linux and Mac OS X) and Repetier-Firmware.
November 15, 2012 06:29AM
As I am new to this tech word, can you direct me to any useful guide, how to install firmware on Gen6 board. Do I have to buy any special cables in addition to my USB?
November 15, 2012 06:31AM
No you need only the Arduino software. A walkthrough for the Repetier-Firmware can be found here: http://www.repetier.com/documentation/repetier-firmware/. For other firmwares it is similar, only with other configuration options.

November 15, 2012 12:10PM
Hi there,

I wanted to piggy back and ask a question along similar lines.
I have a printer that I built form the Botmill kit. It's been about 7 months since I did anything with firmware through arduino. I BELIEVE it was Gen6.
In another thread I am describing problems with slic3r and the have been some suggestions about my firmware. What firmware would you recommend would be best for my Botmill? Thanks!
November 15, 2012 12:30PM
@kwdelre
I developed my firmware with the same printer (other vendor/extruder) and a gen 6, also I now have other hardware so in future configs may change. But if you download the current master version 0.73 you should be able to simply upload the firmware without any changes, except perhaps the thermistor. The rest can be configured in the eeprom settings via Repetier-Host. But before you start make sure you really have a gen6 or you have to set the MOTHERBOARD value to an other value. Check the reprap wiki to verify the controller if in doubt.

November 15, 2012 12:53PM
@Repetier

Thanks for the reply. Love the printer software BTW; just switched last night from RepSnapper.

I definitely have a Gen6 board. I will flash the firmware in a little bit....hoping this firware versus what Botmill directed me to is different. Hopefully it will fix the Slic3r issues I am having!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/15/2012 01:08PM by kwdelre.
November 15, 2012 01:19PM
So I have the .pde open in arduino, but no matter which board I select it gives an error. I remember that when I spoke with Botmill they had me download an older, more specific version of Arduino. Could this have anything to do with it? I know the Gen6 board is considered a Sanguino Mega, but which option would that translate to in Arduino's settings? Thanks!
November 15, 2012 01:22PM
You need some files for the sanguino hardware support in Arduino, because it is not included right away. See [sanguino.cc] for download and instruction. If you use a current arduino 1.0.1 version, check the boards folder in my firmware. There are some files you need to exchange to get it working.
Don't forget to restart Arduino after adding the files. After that you see sanguino boards for selection, which is what you need.

November 15, 2012 07:13PM
When I try to upload I get a string of errors:
I must have something wrong of course, hahaha

In file included from Commands.cpp:23:
/Reptier.h:23:21: error: Arduino.h: No such file or directory
In file included from /Reptier.h:28,
from Commands.cpp:23:
gcode.h:31: error: 'byte' does not name a type
gcode.h:32: error: 'byte' does not name a type
gcode.h:38: error: 'byte' does not name a type
gcode.h:44: error: expected class-name before '{' token
gcode.h:72: error: 'byte' has not been declared
gcode.h:91: error: 'byte' does not name a type
In file included from Commands.cpp:23:
Reptier.h:76: error: 'byte' does not name a type
Reptier.h:80: error: 'byte' does not name a type
Reptier.h:81: error: 'byte' does not name a type
Reptier.h:82: error: 'byte' does not name a type
Reptier.h:85: error: 'byte' does not name a type
Reptier.h:107: error: 'byte' does not name a type
Reptier.h:108: error: 'byte' does not name a type
Reptier.h:112: error: 'byte' does not name a type
Reptier.h:115: error: 'byte' does not name a type
Reptier.h:125: error: 'byte' does not name a type
Reptier.h:143: error: variable or field 'extruder_select' declared void
Reptier.h:143: error: 'byte' was not declared in this scope
Reptier.h:147: error: 'byte' has not been declared
Reptier.h:152: error: variable or field 'extruder_set_direction' declared void
Reptier.h:152: error: 'byte' was not declared in this scope
Reptier.h:154: error: 'byte' does not name a type
/Reptier.h: In function 'void extruder_step()':
Reptier.h:165: error: 'HIGH' was not declared in this scope
/Reptier.h: In function 'void extruder_unstep()':
Reptier.h:190: error: 'LOW' was not declared in this scope
/Reptier.h: At global scope:
Reptier.h:210: error: variable or field 'extruder_set_direction' declared void
Reptier.h:210: error: 'byte' was not declared in this scope
November 15, 2012 07:41PM
You forgot to execute this sentence "If you use a current arduino 1.0.1 version, check the boards folder in my firmware. There are some files you need to exchange to get it working.". In the boards/Sanguino 1.0+ folder is the missing Arduino.h file and other replacement files for the sanguino directory you copied. Or you copied the files to the wrong subdirectory.

November 15, 2012 09:37PM
I have no clue what Im doing wrong. I followed your instructions in the ReadMe in the boards folder. Does it matter where your firmware folder is located in relation to the arduino files? I've read all the installation documentation and can't find what went wrong. Thanks for the continued help....I'll get this going soon.....
November 16, 2012 10:32AM
Of course does the place matter. I have attached a image of the sanguino folder in arduino you should have. The boards.txt goes into arduino/hardware/Sanguino. Then it should compile if you selected the Sanguino board.

Attachments:
open | download - sanguinofiles.png (56.3 KB)
November 16, 2012 02:39PM
Ahhh, I was putting it in the arduino/cores. You are awesome man, I have it uploaded and working! I am also getting less motor feedback....is that something the firmware could have helped with? Either way, it much more tolerable.
November 16, 2012 05:40PM
I did run into a weird issue. When I used Repitier with the other firmware, and I would command the printer to extrude for a certain amount at a speed of 220, it did so fine. Now, it won't stop and its cranking that motor fast! I'm thinking maybe there is a setting in the firmware I could change? Any ideas? Thanks!
November 16, 2012 06:27PM
First you should know that the old firmware may be configured to extrude 1mm if you say extrude 1. Current slicer require thet the distance is now 1mm put into the extruder which is much more. The other thing could be the steps per mm set for the extruder. Call the eeprom settings and check the value there. Value depends on the extruder type but 350-600 are typical values.

November 17, 2012 01:50PM
Thanks, that helped me understand it better.

Do you have any recommended settings documented for skeinforge and/or slic3r that work best with your firmware? I ask because I am getting some drastically different results between the two. thanks!
November 17, 2012 02:12PM
Can't say they differ much for me, except different print strategies. Make sure you have calibrated the steps/mm for the extruder und enter the right filament diameter. Many 3mm filaments habe a diameter of 2.85mm. Then try some calibration prints. Thingiverse has many of them including instructions how to calibrate the printer with them. Make sure to print the first layer slow for got bonding with the base. Print outer perimeter slower for better look of the outside, infill can be 40-60mm, but depends on your extruder. If you get good results you can even go higher, depending on material.

November 17, 2012 02:40PM
I believe my botmill came with the a Wade's extruder. (I think you have the same you mentioned) Do you know what your steps are set to for this line:

#define ZAXIS_STEPS_PER_MM 3360

I am trying to follow a Slic3r calibration tutorial.
Also, are there any other settings in the firmware that I would need to change for my botmill machine? Thanks!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/17/2012 03:02PM by kwdelre.
November 18, 2012 04:08AM
kwdelre Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I believe my botmill came with the a Wade's
> extruder. (I think you have the same you
> mentioned) Do you know what your steps are set to
> for this line:
>
> #define ZAXIS_STEPS_PER_MM 3360

This is for the Z-Axis not for the extruder. What you need for the extruder is
#define EXT0_STEPS_PER_MM 385
Which is my value for the wade I use (printer was with adrian extruder). May differ as the gears and hobbled bolt have some influence on it.

>
> I am trying to follow a Slic3r calibration
> tutorial.
> Also, are there any other settings in the firmware
> that I would need to change for my botmill
> machine? Thanks!

That depends on the material you are using. ABS needs a higher

/** \brief The maximum value, I-gain can contribute to the output.

A good value is slightly higher then the output needed for your temperature.
Values for starts:
130 => PLA for temperatures from 170-180°C
180 => ABS for temperatures around 240°C

The precise values may differ for different nozzle/resistor combination.
Overridden if EEPROM activated.
*/
#define EXT0_PID_INTEGRAL_DRIVE_MAX 140

Also remember that the values in EEPROM are used if EEPROM is activated. So changing them in firmware configuration.h doesn't help.

November 19, 2012 08:13PM
ahhh sorry, copied the wrong line.

Thank you so much for your help. I have it working somewhat well....still trying to tweak.

When I did the calibration method of measuring the filament before and after with a digital caliper, I got it narrowed down to the right setting for my gear ~250. At this setting, and using Slic3r there is just way too much extrusion. I'm not having muchg sucess with adjusting the settings in Slic3r. I'll keep messing with it though....thanks!
November 26, 2012 02:18AM
repetier Wrote:
>But if you download the current master
> version 0.73 you should be able to simply upload
> the firmware without any changes, except perhaps
> the thermistor.

Hi Repetier,
Finally I have decided to go with Repetier.

I had been to your website. In the downloads section there is 0.71 version of the firmware - Do I have to get 0.73 from Github?

Also for not sure about the difference in Host - Do I have to just go with the latest version 0.82 or is there any specific that goes with 0.73 firware.

Once again, thanks for the inputs and really appreciate your efforts in making this an opensource.
November 26, 2012 03:28AM
Between 0.71 and 0.73 there were no real improvements, so you can take what you want. I think it was a pin change for some boards.

The host is independently from any firmware and works with most firmwares. Newer host verions have less bugs, more features and newer Slic3r versions included, so it is always a good idea to use the latest version. It is also ready for the upcoming firmware 0.80 which has na new binary protocol version.

November 26, 2012 07:44PM
repetier Wrote:
> You need some files for the sanguino hardware
> support in Arduino, because it is not included
> right away. See [sanguino.cc] for download
> and instruction. If you use a current arduino
> 1.0.1 version, check the boards folder in my
> firmware. There are some files you need to
> exchange to get it working.

@ Repetier, confused - I am using Gen6 board. Do I have to for the missing Arduino files for Gen6 in sanguino?

Just to capture where I am. Downloaded Arduino 1.0.2 and Repetier Firmware 0.73 from Github

do I have to get additional files from sanguino for Gen6? If so a link would be helpful

Thx
Dinesh
November 27, 2012 02:44AM
If you look in the boards menu, you will so no Sanguino. Go to [sanguino.cc] and follow the instructions. I just saw that there is a new version for Arduino 1.0, so that should suffice. Having not tested it, I don't know if additional fixes are needed, but if they say it is for Arduino 1.0 it should work without modifications.

November 27, 2012 06:45AM
@ repetier - yes there is 1.0.1 available. However, no where it is mentioned that it will support Gen6. Does it imply that Gen6 is supported by Sanguino?
November 27, 2012 06:49AM
Sanguino is only the name for a Arduino clone. Gen6 is compatible with this, but has additionally added some hardware to the pins like stepper driver. So it is like merging an Arduino Mega with a RAMPS 1.4 and giving it a new name. For the ARduino IDE this is still a Arduino Mega and the same is for Gen6 which is still handled like Sanguino boards.

December 01, 2012 08:54AM
@ Repetier,

I have copied the Sanguino files and in the Arduino ide Tools>Board> there are three Sanguino boards (mega644P, mega1284P 8mhz and 1284P 16mhz) Which one do I have to select for Gen6?

I have tried 644P and tried uploading. After a while I got the status update as 'upload done' in the arduino IDE but with an error. See attached file.

Question:
Is it correct to select sanguine 644P for Gen6?
Do I have to do anything further to fix the error

Thanks in advance for ur help

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/01/2012 11:26AM by 3eality.
Attachments:
open | download - image.jpg (365.5 KB)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login