Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Moddin reprap

Posted by tolyaba 
Moddin reprap
November 11, 2012 04:53PM
Hello

I recently found out that 3d priniting is availible for a lot cheaper then i expected.
I was looking for different kinds of printers but coudnt find the work area i needed.
The purpose for me to get one is to be able to print larger RC plane parts or molds/plugs...
and the work area of most printers is like 15-15-15....
i was wondering if its easy to convert reprap to be able to do longer parts like a wing 1000 mm long....
and the best version for modding...
thx
Re: Moddin reprap
November 12, 2012 07:22AM
Mechanically, that's not too difficult. But the process get's very hard to control - larger parts incure a lot more wrapping.
November 12, 2012 07:32AM
it is easy if you are willing to print the part in sections. build parts with interlocking pins and or use glue.
November 12, 2012 10:01PM
Just print it in parts and glue it. Use ABS instead of PLA. Cyanoacrylate (super glue) bonds it very strongly and quickly.
November 13, 2012 07:36AM
For wing molds I can't really recommend a printer. You'd have a lot of stair-stepping, the mold likely warps, the build volume of the mold is much higher than the volume to be removed from a square block.

IMHO, making molds is a typical application where milling is still better than printing. Can be done with RepRap technology, too, just replace the extruder with a Dremel. RepRap firmwares can mostly deal with generic G-code (the S command dosn't exist, so you have to replace that with M104).

Generation 7 Electronics Teacup Firmware RepRap DIY

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login