Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Beginner

Posted by markusking 
Beginner
November 12, 2012 12:40PM
Hey! i been thinking about buying a 3d printer for a long time, and when i discovered the huxley, i was liike i gotta have it. But i do not have a lot of money so i would like to ask some questions.

As far as i understands, there are 3 brands right? emaker techzone and reprappro, What is the diffrences? Reprappro is closest to me so it would be cheapest to send.

For the huxley , how good is the quality? im going to use it to print mechanical things like gears and stuffs like that, Can it do that? example can it make this kind of quality? [www.youtube.com]

Do i need any more parts or is all the parts in the reprapro kit?

Thankyou
Re: Beginner
November 12, 2012 04:40PM
I don't know much about huxleys, but:

the parts in that clip don't look exceptionally difficult to print, or stupidly high quality - you should be able to print them on any reprap when it is calibrated.

techzone sounds pretty dodgy, I've heard bad things about their quality, such as [forums.reprap.org]
November 12, 2012 10:07PM
The designs are open source, so there are many manufacturers. You can even go the DIY route and purchase all the parts separately. If you're careful sourcing parts, this can be the cheapest route. It just tends to take longer. I can't speak about those other companies, since I haven't ordered from them, but the kit I ordered from Makerfarm has worked out pretty well.
smileys with beerRe: Beginner
November 13, 2012 01:46AM
Thankyou for your fast answers. I am pretty sure ill buy the kit from reprappro since i dont have a whole lot experience. and it is closest to me.

But if i buy a kit, can i assemble it and then print? or do i need to make tweaks and all that.

And can someone take a pic of a thing printed from a huxley?

Thankyou very very much
November 13, 2012 04:11AM
My suggestion before choosing where to buy from anyone is to look at their support forum (if they have one) and see how good they are at answering customer's questions.

You will need to calibrate the printer after building it to improve the quality of prints.

Andy

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/13/2012 04:12AM by ajayre.
November 13, 2012 07:18AM
ajayre Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> My suggestion before choosing where to buy from
> anyone is to look at their support forum (if they
> have one) and see how good they are at answering
> customer's questions.
>
> You will need to calibrate the printer after
> building it to improve the quality of prints.
>
> Andy

I am 100 percent sure about the website.

When you say calibrate, what does it mean?

i know nothing about programming but im ok at electronics.
November 13, 2012 07:25AM
To self-source a printer you need five groups:

- printed parts
- vitamins (bolts, nuts, rods, bearings)
- extruder & hotend
- electronics & motors
- software

Generation 7 Electronics Teacup Firmware RepRap DIY

November 13, 2012 08:20AM
markusking Wrote:
> When you say calibrate, what does it mean?

http://reprap.org/wiki/Calibration

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/13/2012 08:20AM by ajayre.
November 13, 2012 09:47AM
Thankyou everyone.

But my biggest concern is, how good the huxley can print, it is the cheapest and smallest, but it can still print good? grinning smiley If i make gears for motors, will they run smooth? (small gears)
November 13, 2012 10:16AM
3d printing is very much in the early adopter phase. If you want to buy a printer, set it up, and get great prints with minimal effort, save up $15,000 and buy a commercial unit. With homebuilt printers you can get excellent results, but you'll constantly be tweaking and adjusting your machine. Expect your fair share of failed prints along the way.
November 13, 2012 12:37PM
Yes offcourse, i just need to know that the huxley CAN get quality prints .. Thankyou for all your answers

If someone have a huxley can you please post a pic of a print?
November 13, 2012 05:24PM
Hello,

For examples of what our kits can print we have a gallery on our website here - [reprappro.com]

See also this blog post [blog.reprap.org]

Best wishes
Sally
November 14, 2012 07:54AM
SallyRepRap Wrote:
> Hello,
>
> For examples of what our kits can print we have a
> gallery on our website here -
> [reprappro.com]
>
> See also this blog post
> [blog.reprap.org]
> -for-win-part-deux.html
>
> Best wishes
> Sally

----------

Thanks for your responds.

i only have a few questions left.

The plastic that is used, is it expansive? and shall i add it to the cost or is it dirt cheap?

And i see on your website that it will be shipped 14 dec, if i cannot buy it before lets say 20 dec, when will it be shipped again?
November 14, 2012 08:16AM
Hello,

See here for filament suppliers - [reprap.org] You will need 1.75mm filament to work with our extruders.

If you do purchase a kit from us, you will get a 100m sample of PLA with the kit.

If you purchase once we have sold out of our Christmas kits, your kit will be shipped on or before the given date on our website at the time of ordering - it is likely to be in January as we will have a short Christmas shut down period).

Best wishes
Sally
November 14, 2012 10:03AM
Allright, and it can use both pla and abS?

And ca. how long can 1kg of plastic last?
November 16, 2012 06:51AM
Hi,

The kits print at approximately 20grams per hour.

You can use either PLA or ABS.

Best wishes
Sally
November 16, 2012 07:22AM
The eMaker Huxley was the Indiegogo funded forerunner of the RepRapPro Huxley.
The support forum is still on the www.emakershop.com website. You will find lots of examples of printed objects in the RepRap Huxley Prints folder.
Here is a good example.
A kit is a great way to started. I used my Huxley to print all the parts for my next printer, which is the whole ethos behind RepRap.

A kilo of plastic for your printer costs less than a tankful of petrol for a car and probably lasts a lot longer.

richgain
[mynext3dprinter.tumblr.com]
November 16, 2012 12:01PM
richgain Wrote:
> The eMaker Huxley was the Indiegogo funded
> forerunner of the RepRapPro Huxley.
> The support forum is still on the
> www.emakershop.com website. You will find lots of
> examples of printed objects in the RepRap Huxley
> Prints folder.
> Here is a good example.
> A kit is a great way to started. I used my Huxley
> to print all the parts for my next printer, which
> is the whole ethos behind RepRap.
>
> A kilo of plastic for your printer costs less than
> a tankful of petrol for a car and probably lasts a
> lot longer.
>
> richgain
> [mynext3dprinter.tumblr.com]

Thankyou very much everyone, and ^ was a really nice link too. i m going to buy a reprapro very soongrinning smiley i guess the buildtime is around a week or so right ?

i only have one last question, does it create poisonois gasses when it prints? becuse i dont have like a lab i only have a normal room, or is it something i dont need to worry about?
November 16, 2012 05:10PM
Well the general rule of thumb when using anything that gives off fumes is to ensure you use it in a well ventilated area.

With that said, if we look at the two plastics mentioned:

PLA [reprap.org]
It's a biodegradable polymer.
From my personal experience, it's easy to work with as a beginner material, I've had no ill effects using it in my printer in the lounge room, and it gives off a smell, i can only describe as like sweet popcorn.

ABS [reprap.org]
I haven't used it myself yet, it has a few different properties to pla, as far as use goes.
It requires a higher extrusion temperature, a heated bed (PLA only needs blue painters tape) as well as a bonding agent in some situations to good adhesion to the build platform. It is also more prone to warping.
As i understand it does give off a toxic smellin fume, that while not deadly, is unpleasant and is not recommended to be exposed to for long periods, without proper ventilation or some sort of fume extractor.

That said tho, to my knowledge, a very large part of the reprap community has been using abs with no problems at all, like with most things, you'll be fine if you exercise a little common sense :-)

Definitely have a good read through the forums, and definitely keep asking questions

Kind regards
Jaramaniac
November 18, 2012 10:22AM
Thanks!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login