Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

slic3r raft

Posted by rogerw 
slic3r raft
November 14, 2012 07:23PM
hello
i was just wondering why the slic3r program doesn't have rafts.
from reading it seems as i do bigger stuff i will need a raft.
am already get prints warping and popping off (pla on kapton unheated).
dont know the history of these programs - maybe raft is on the 'to do' list??
is there a way to 'add a raft' some sneaky way?
thanks,
roger.

Prusa 'Explorer' (3dStuffMaker), GEN6, J-head Mk III-B, Bowden Extruder, Marlin 1.0.0 RC2, Repitier-Host V0.84 and Slic3r 0.9.8, PLA. Live at Victoria, Australia.
Re: slic3r raft
November 14, 2012 07:32PM
Your much better off printing PLA on Blue Painters tape if you don't have a heated bed, IME A Raft won't stop the warping, and they are a pain to remove from PLA.
Kapton works fine with PLA on a heated bed but then just printing PLA on glass with a heated bed also works fine.
November 14, 2012 07:42PM
thanks polygonhell - i have got some blue tape but haven't tried it yet - having troubles in other areas sad smiley
do you know what to clean/degrease kapton and bluetape with (common names), how often?
thank you
roger
ps. am also going to try the wide brim/skirt i read about in other posts

Prusa 'Explorer' (3dStuffMaker), GEN6, J-head Mk III-B, Bowden Extruder, Marlin 1.0.0 RC2, Repitier-Host V0.84 and Slic3r 0.9.8, PLA. Live at Victoria, Australia.
November 14, 2012 08:25PM
Once kapton stops adhering the only option I've see is to replace it, which is a pain in the ass.
For blue painters tape I usually find it tears before it stops working, but replacing the tape is easy.
November 14, 2012 10:15PM
I usually end up tearing my kapton well before it stops adhering. I give it a quick wipe with acetone to degrease it every few prints.
November 14, 2012 10:40PM
thank you twitchy

November 15, 2012 12:13PM
I lightly wipe my kapton with goof off and it has never been replaced. (Maybe 80 prints)
November 17, 2012 01:29PM
Go to the Slic3r GitHub issue list and request a raft feature.

I have asked for one many times winking smiley

Slic3r needs a raft feature.
November 18, 2012 05:45PM
hi idolcrasher,
a bit new to all this but i get the jist that all these programs are still very much growing with ongoing releases.
so how often does a new release of something like slic3r come out.
Roger

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login