Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Banding in prints...???

Posted by magicald 
Banding in prints...???
November 20, 2012 06:38PM
Can someone please give me advice or ideas of other things to try. I have banding in my prints that repeats every 7-8 layers. I have the following setup:
Prusa V2
now with 1/4-16 leadscrews (didn't help the problem at all!!)
MG extruder and hotend
Ramps 1.4 - ultimachine
Latest Repetier fW
T2.5 belts
3mm PLA - Ultimachine

I just completely isolated my Z axis with the Z-isolators off thingiverse...didn't make a difference...

I just increased the voltage on my Z axis stepper driver to 0.6V from 0.4V...didn't make a difference...

The banding does go all the way around the print, so still looks like a Z-axis problem??? Please Help, I've been printing for 4 months and have everything figured out except this!!

Pic attached:
Re: Banding in prints...???
November 20, 2012 06:41PM
Forgot to add, my lead screws are attached to steppers with flexible tubing...previously had flexible Aluminum ones...also didn't help
November 20, 2012 06:44PM
Sorry, keep forgetting important info:

1. Not a slicing problem - tried three versions of Slic3r back to 0.72b, Sfact, and SF50

2. 0.35 nozzle, 0.3mm layer height

3. tried slowing everything down...doesn't help

4. Z-motors are set to stay on all the time in FW

Any help/ideas greatly appreciated!
November 20, 2012 08:40PM
magicald - have the same problem - don't know how to fix it - will be interested to see what the pros say
roger

Prusa 'Explorer' (3dStuffMaker), GEN6, J-head Mk III-B, Bowden Extruder, Marlin 1.0.0 RC2, Repitier-Host V0.84 and Slic3r 0.9.8, PLA. Live at Victoria, Australia.
November 20, 2012 09:17PM
Are your motors bolted down? If they are remove the screws and let them float in the mounts.

When you hold the print up to the screw does the pattern match the threads?

How straight are your 1/4-16 acme rods?

- akhlut

Just remember - Iterate, Iterate, Iterate!

[myhomelessmind.blogspot.com]
November 20, 2012 09:22PM
i get this with squares but is perfect if i do a tube (ie. round). have you tried that? maybe indicates a cornering problem

Prusa 'Explorer' (3dStuffMaker), GEN6, J-head Mk III-B, Bowden Extruder, Marlin 1.0.0 RC2, Repitier-Host V0.84 and Slic3r 0.9.8, PLA. Live at Victoria, Australia.
November 20, 2012 09:37PM
@akhlut:

- My screws are in, but completely loose--I'll try taking them out
- my acme rods are not perfectly straight, but they are unconstrainted at the top and bottom
- the pattern does match - but why does it go all the way around my print??

@rogerw

-I still notice it on tubes/cylinders, but it is less obvious
November 20, 2012 09:48PM
Which z-isolators are you using? These?

- akhlut

Just remember - Iterate, Iterate, Iterate!

[myhomelessmind.blogspot.com]
November 20, 2012 10:02PM
akhlut Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Which z-isolators are you using? These?

Yep, those are the ones.
November 20, 2012 10:03PM
Whats also weird is that if I print single wall prints, like the single wall cube calibration object, Layers line up perfectly....its only on >1 perimeter??
November 20, 2012 10:23PM
I think that you have backlash in X and Y axes. Because you said that with one wall the problem dissapears.
Try to move the Y belt with the bed stopped with your other hand. If you can move something, you have backlash.
In the x axe is the same. May be the belts gears have a little backlash. Good luck.
November 20, 2012 10:28PM
You might be extruding too much plastic. Did you calibrate the e steps per mm? When you print a single-wall cube, does the filament width match the expected width from on the g-code file?
November 20, 2012 10:31PM
The tension of the belts, when you goes with a big speed, can be a problem too.
November 20, 2012 10:57PM
I've tightened my belts as much as I can without causing missed steps...

My E-steps are calibrated perfectly...

my thin wall extrusion width could be better, but if this is the problem, why does it only occur in my prints every 7-8 layer??
November 20, 2012 11:02PM
Oh also, speed doesn't seem to affect this, I've slowed it all the way down to 5mm/s without change in banding
November 20, 2012 11:12PM
What is the infill ratio set to? If you're extruding too much plastic, then it may take a few layers depending on your infill ratio to accumulate excess plastic for the walls to bulge out. Then it would be back to normal and the process can repeat again.

It doesn't look like z wobble due to bent leadscrews since the bulge goes all the way around on the same layers. Wobble would cause each layer to be displaced from each other in the x and y direction so that when it bulges out on one side, it bulges in on the other side so that the dimension of each layer stays the same.
November 20, 2012 11:23PM
0.3 layers from a 0.35 is crazy in my opinion. But I think 0.3 layers is crazy no matter what size nozzle. Try 0.2 and see if it helps. My guess is your hotend can not keep up and causes pressure to build up until the hobbed bolt slips and this repeats evenly.

FFF Settings Calculator Gcode post processors Geometric Object Deposition Tool Blog
Tantillus.org Mini Printable Lathe How NOT to install a Pololu driver
November 20, 2012 11:46PM
@brnrd

- infill density? is set at 25% for the test cubes...using lower or higher doesn't seem to matter
- tuned extruder multiplier to 0.83 in Slic3r even with 100mm E-step correct

@sublime

-I have tried lower layer heights and I still see it...though I haven't done tried it recently, I'll try again after my next Rostock part finishes - Thanks!
-BTW this is a MG extruder with direct drive gear and geared stepper motor.
November 21, 2012 07:25AM
If you print one twice as wide does the banding have a different frequency or the same?

I.e. does it depend on height or time?

If it purely depends on height it must be a problem with the lead screws. Perhaps the threads are inclined so it does not increase linearly with rotation. People have reported that before.

[www.hydraraptor.blogspot.com]
November 21, 2012 07:58AM
Sublime
0.3 layers from a 0.35 is crazy in my opinion. But I think 0.3 layers is crazy no matter what size nozzle. ...

I print 0.3mm layers with my 0.34mm J-head all the time and the walls are as good as when I do 0.25mm. I do this a lot to speed up parts that I use only once and where layer adhesion is not an issue. I don't see why 0.3mm layers are crazy with larger nozzles.
November 21, 2012 11:29AM
I have seen a similar issue when my extruder is starting to jam. Too little plastic can cause the print to "cheat" around the corners, making the perimeter shrink. Not sure this is your problem because it looks so regular. You might want to up you flow rate 10% just as a test. Are you having jamming issues too?
November 21, 2012 03:31PM
brnrd Wrote:
> > 0.3 layers from a 0.35 is crazy in my opinion.
> But I think 0.3 layers is crazy no matter what
> size nozzle. ...
>
>
> I print 0.3mm layers with my 0.34mm J-head all the
> time and the walls are as good as when I do
> 0.25mm. I do this a lot to speed up parts that I
> use only once and where layer adhesion is not an
> issue. I don't see why 0.3mm layers are crazy with
> larger nozzles.

I just think they are hideous, if I wanted something that looked like it was made by laminating sheets of plywood I would laminate sheets of plywood. I think the layers should be invisible. Tantillus default is 0.15, coarse is 0.2 and draft mode is 0.25 which is the thickest layers I have printed in my two years of printing. With 0.25 a dome top looks like an 8bit graphic so why would I make that worse.

FFF Settings Calculator Gcode post processors Geometric Object Deposition Tool Blog
Tantillus.org Mini Printable Lathe How NOT to install a Pololu driver
November 21, 2012 03:56PM
This is def not wobble of z because then you would see a shift left or right one way or they other.

this looks more something like inconcsistand Z elavation moving more or less then the appropriate distance on every Zturn therefor squashing some layers more then the others. or some inconsintancy in your extruder. Does it happen if you print a bigger box and does it happen in the same 7 or 8 layers?

Maybe you can true to remove the acme by just normal screw thread.
November 21, 2012 05:46PM
Weedz Wrote:
> This is def not wobble of z because then you would
> see a shift left or right one way or they other.
>
> this looks more something like inconcsistand Z
> elavation moving more or less then the appropriate
> distance on every Zturn therefor squashing some
> layers more then the others. or some inconsintancy
> in your extruder. Does it happen if you print a
> bigger box and does it happen in the same 7 or 8
> layers?
>
> Maybe you can true to remove the acme by just
> normal screw thread.

I had the same banding with a 8mm screw for my z drive, that's why I switched to ACME leads

- I'm going to try some lower layer heights

- also, what should my stepper drive voltage be set to? 0.4V?

Thanks for all the advice so far...
November 21, 2012 10:25PM
@sublime

-just printed a rostock motor mount @ 0.2 layer height and banding is still present...back to the drawing board
November 21, 2012 10:33PM
magicald
my thin wall extrusion width could be better, but if this is the problem, why does it only occur in my prints every 7-8 layer??

What did you measure the width to be and what was it supposed to be? Can you post photos of the single-wall object?
November 21, 2012 11:30PM
In this thread [forums.reprap.org] it looks like the culprit might be the heated bed.
I use one and have the same artifact on my prints. Some day when I'm not so lazy I plan to turn it off and do the same test.
November 21, 2012 11:58PM
I haven't had a chance to measure and adjust for my single wall...my battery died in my calipers! got to get a new battery and play with it.

@Tsb4k: That's an interesting post; however, I was printing a long time without a heated bed with PLA, but it finally got too cold in my garage where I print, so I installed a heated 120V silicone pad heater under my aluminum bed...I'll try turning it down and see what happens ---Not sure if Repetier FW supports PID control of the hot bed??
November 22, 2012 01:14AM
Not the hot bed, just turned it off during a long print and no effect...
November 22, 2012 01:16AM
The more and more I watch it print, I think it is a flow problem, I can visible see it place the outer perimeter layer too far over all the way around...back to recalibrating everything...
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login