Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

My MKS Gen L V1.0 board is not running my motors.

Posted by ph20b003 
My MKS Gen L V1.0 board is not running my motors.
December 29, 2022 12:50AM
So, we intend to move 4 NEMA17 stepper motors using 4 TMC2209 Motor drivers. By mistake I kept the board on a conductor(the board has pins protruding out at the bottom) and the board was shorted. The CH3403 chip was burnt(visibly), but I was not sure what other parts of the board was damaged. When the board was shorted, the motor drivers were plugged in and the motors were connected and a 12V power supply was given to the board, also the board was connected to the laptop with USB.
We bought a new MKS Gen L board(but I am still using the old 4 motor drivers), the board seems to work(LEDs are glowing as they should), but when I connect all 3 or more motor drivers to the board, the red led goes off(when the board is connected only with the laptop using a usb cable, the red led doesn't go off when 12V power is being supplied). Even when I am using only 1 motor driver, the red led keeps glowing(when the board is connected only with laptop), the blue green LEDs also blink, indicating data is being transmitted(when I upload my code), but the motors are not running. Also the drivers are getting very very hot.
I am confused whether the new board I ordered is faulty or the 4 motor drivers were also damaged. Should I buy new motor drivers or should I get my board replaced.
Is it possible that my motors were also damaged?
Can anyone help me on how to test it?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/29/2022 01:08AM by ph20b003.
Re: My MKS Gen L V1.0 board is not running my motors.
December 29, 2022 03:07AM
The driver are very probably dead

It is a simple matter to test them, if you do hobbyist electronic or better

Its the same as this

[www.makerguides.com]

the advanced feature such as settings driver settings with uart are not tested with this, but I suspect they will fail even this simple test

alternatively

The MKS Gen L V1.0 is just a simple mega2560 based controller

you can use the ramps test sketch [reprap.org]

This moves all stepper drivers back and forwards over and over

Note this turn mosfets on and off repeatedly also. So unplug hotends and heated beds.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/29/2022 03:08AM by Dust.
Re: My MKS Gen L V1.0 board is not running my motors.
January 02, 2023 03:42AM
Thank you. Indeed the drivers were dead. To be completely sure, we bought a new driver, and tested. It turned out the 4 drivers were short-circuited too. We are buying new drivers now.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login