Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Need help getting the Y axis to work

Posted by Captain roast 
Need help getting the Y axis to work
January 03, 2023 08:35AM
I am in the process of building a custom 3d printer setup using the ramps 1.4 and a mega 2560. Everything works except the Y axis on its dedicated pins. I've since switched the pins to the E1 pins since i could not get it to work but i'd very much like to get it to work as i might add a second extruder later down the road.
Things i've tested:
-All the drivers are working. I've switched them and used them for different motors. Only the Y doesn't work.
-All the motors are working. I've double checked.
-The ramps board is working fine. I've checked the pins connectivity.
-Power comes to the driver.
-the arduino analog pins responsible for controling the Y axis were tested and they work fine *with other codes*. I haven't tested it with marlin yet as i do not have an oscilloscope.
The only culprit that remains is the firmware or the arduino.
Any help is greatly appreciated.
Re: Need help getting the Y axis to work
January 03, 2023 09:22AM
Also can someone please tell me what the pin numbers in pins.h correspond to? Because they are kind of confusing to me.
The only things i've changed in the attached firmware zip are the configuration.h and pins.h files.
Note that i haven't finished the setup. I haven't even finished the hardware of the printer so if you see anything weird don't be alarmed. The problem is that the Y axis, which is now in the E1 pins, was not working when it was on the Y pins but is now working through the E1 pins.
I hope that wasn't very confusing.
January 03, 2023 09:23AM
use ramps test code

[reprap.org]

super simple, moves all stepper motors back and forward, and toggles mosfets on and off (so unplug heaters)

no checks, no configuration,

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/03/2023 09:25AM by Dust.
January 04, 2023 07:52AM
Dust
use ramps test code

[reprap.org]

super simple, moves all stepper motors back and forward, and toggles mosfets on and off (so unplug heaters)

no checks, no configuration,

Thank you for the reply.
i've tested the ramps board and the problem is that now the stepper when connected to the Y axis slot moves in only one direction and gets unpowered when expected to move in the other direction, i.e.. it is easy to move by hand. i've jumped the DIR pin to a 5v and it changed direction in the periods that was expected to move and did not change direction in the next period and was unpowered but i was getting voltage from the pin when it was in the non moving period. as soon as i jumped the ENable pin to the GND, it worked perfectly seemingly without any problems which tells me there is a short between the A7 pin on the arduino/the DIR pin on the driver and the EN pin on the driver/the A2 pin on the arduino which according to the code should normally be low but gets voltage whenever the DIR pin does so the driver shuts down. is this a wiring problem? should i just jump the enable pin to a ground and forget it or is that going to be harmful to the motor or the driver or anything? will the motor be powered at all times in that case? any help at all is greatly appreciated.
January 04, 2023 08:08AM
update: the RAMPS is ok and has no short. the problem is the Arduino. it may either be a defective unit or a fake but it is definitely not working correctly. the A7 and A2 pins are shorted through the green ON indicator LED. is that normal?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login