Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

printer parts by CNC?

Posted by kdupke 
printer parts by CNC?
November 21, 2012 10:01AM
Hi,

I searched for CNC but was not able to find any topic. If this is an FAQ please don't be shy and tell me.

I'm looking into building my own Prusa type system. If I got it right then the accuracy of the system, the stability and repeatability of printings and positions depends on the accuracy and stability of the rods, which are usually printed on another system, right?

Is it worth to look into getting these printed parts CNCed for better reliability? Or would it mean a redesign of some parts?

Let me turn it around, I would really like to get a well running system and having for example real accurate connectors for the axis and so for me would help with my printing experience.

And while I ask, does someone know a community nearby Hannover, Germany?

greetings kai
Re: printer parts by CNC?
November 21, 2012 11:23AM
There's no point cnc'ing the parts - the weakness in the prusa design is that it has a tendency to wobble in the x-direction, and that it is tricky to align properly. The accuracy of the printed parts themselves doesn't make much difference at all (which is a strength of the design - a lousy printer can improve itself.) If you want more accuracy when printing, go for a design like the mendel90 which doesn't wobble at all/so much.
November 21, 2012 03:58PM
look on thingiverse.com for cnc stuff
November 21, 2012 04:12PM
Thank you for the answers - looks like a max or 90° is the right to look for.

Was not able to find CNC parts to build a 3d printer on thingiverse.com, if possible please help me to identify such stuff.

greetings kai
November 22, 2012 11:57AM
the wooden mendel [reprap.org] would be a good baseline as the parts are to be machined by hand, should be easy to cnc. examples exist of how to use cnc to print and cnc software as well just type in cnc on thingiverse. as for making parts with cnc, it is kinda taboo, the goal most people have is to use it as a bootstrap to make a machine that makes them parts for an actually printed 3d printer.
November 22, 2012 12:17PM
I would consider just buying the plastic parts - the time you save could easily be spent cnc cutting something for money. I made my first reprap, a darwin by hand from wood, and looking back I should have just spent a bit more money.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login