Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Help a newcomer decide on a printer

Posted by Thorsteenster 
Help a newcomer decide on a printer
November 25, 2012 11:49AM
Hello all!
I've kept an eye on 3D printing for the last few years since I saw the release of the Z-Corp desktop model, and the progression of truly affordable 3D printers, primarily Makerbot.
I think I've decided with my tax returns this year to purchase a 3D printer, but not entirely sure which model to buy.
I am new to this technology, but not computers in general as I'm in IT.

I've narrowed it down (I believe) to three models in my price range, $1k - $1.5k
MBot Cube
RapMan 3.2
Rostock MAX

Firstly, I'm looking for the biggest build size in my price range.
Secondly, ease of setup/use & maintenence for a 3D initiate.
I am mechanically inclined however, and don't mind a little extra work, but nothing overly complex, or need to be in the know of the industry.

Primary use for this will be for making RC car parts in 1:10, 1:20, and 1:24 scale. Mostly making plugs and bucks for molding and thermalforming for small production, as well a few one off parts. Essentially hobby use, I'm not looking to start a buisiness or recoup costs of equipment, just have fun, make some neat parts, and maybe make a little extra money.

There were several others I've looked at but didn't like something or other about them, but here is my thoughts on what I have listed.

MBot Cube, from my understanding is a copy of MB Replicator but with bigger build space. I like the option of going to a dual head later if I need to.

RapMan 3.2, I like the design on this honestly, and the build size. As well dual head option here also. I really like the Airwolf design, but build space is to small for me to consider.

Rostock MAX, the design as well as the build size. But I'm a little confused about the build table, or hot plate, sorry, unsure of proper terminology. But site lists build space as 11" diameter, but in videos the plate doesn't seem large enough for 11". Also being a US company support and parts availability are closer to home.

Any feedback or recommendations on the above three would be greatly appreciated, or suggestion of another model to look at.

Thanks!
Thor

PS: I was looking throught the forums here, and saw the CNC Routers, Mills, and Hybrid RepRapping subforum, if any of the above printers could be adapted to hold an X-Acto blade or Dremel for 2D work, this would bump up consideration considerably!

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 11/25/2012 12:10PM by Thorsteenster.
Re: Help a newcomer decide on a printer
November 25, 2012 03:38PM
Hey thorsteenster, John here from SeeMe with the Rostock MAX. The heated bed were shipping with at the moment is a 7*7 1/2" bed. Its all we have right now. We are waiting on a few designs to come in for testing, and we will have an 11" diameter bed available here in the next month as well as dual-extruders. The rapman kits are pretty sweet looking too. If build space is your primary interest, dont rule out a mendelmax or mendel90 design either. They can be scaled up a bit bigger too.
November 25, 2012 07:18PM
Hey John, glad you replied. I actually found this forum looking for more info on the Rostock MAX!
I'm at least 2 - 3 months away from making a purchase yet, but aside from the bed, how would you feel the MAX is for a first 3D printer?
I would prefer to buy a US product, and it doesn't seem there are many.

I did just look at the mendels, but neither look to be available, or as a kit.

What ever I end up buying, I want to buy a ready to assemble kit.

I am kind of leaning to the Rostock at the moment, and by the time I'm ready to purchase hopefully the bed will be ready.
As for the dual heads, will a second head able to be retrofitted to a single head?

Honestly, I'm not entirely sure of the second head purpose, other than support material, or if I'd ever need it, but a little room for growth is nice.

For the price an 11" build size, I'm really liking the Rostock MAX.

Still not closed off to others however, just starting early looking for a model so I'm happy with the purchase well after as well.
cool smiley
November 25, 2012 08:42PM
Glad i got you on here! There is more knowledge in any 3 threads on this site than you could will find anywhere else when it comes to printers. Now, i am a little biased to the MAX, duh, but i would encourage you to look around. The delta is a massive departure from the 'norm' but i cant really find any downsides yet. That said, someone will be along shortly im sure to point one out. Ok, the increased height is the only thing i can come up with at the moment.
November 25, 2012 08:44PM
Ah, and dual heads will allow multiple colors, or yes, support/fill material changes. Im wanting to do a second nozzle with a larger dia. for doing infill work with for instance.
November 25, 2012 11:01PM
Yeah, after looking through the other forum topics, I'm seeing a few I'll be spending some time reading through.

I was expecting you to be biased, I was surprised when you pointed me to the Mendels.

Previouse to the last few days I've only really ever looked at more known 3D printers, MakerBot for example. But the past few I've spent a number of hours looking at various models, kits and DIY's. I have to say, the Rostock MAX is the only delta model I've come across.
I'd be curious to see what some other folk have to say about it.

I'm curious too if you've done any MTF testing, running it constantly until something breaks or gives out.

How tall is the Rostock MAX? Looks taller than most, but probably no higher than my Home Depot el cheapo drill press.
Love the build height, more than I'd probably ever use, but nice to have the "overhead".

Interesting on the second nozzle with larger diameter, make fill work go faster.

Thanks for your replies, and not that you've been steering me to the Rostock MAX, but is anyone going to steer me away from it?
(Not the Rostock MAX per say, but the delta design)

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/25/2012 11:12PM by Thorsteenster.
November 25, 2012 11:35PM
I just found a video of the Cubify Cube printing with supports, and it's a single head.
[www.youtube.com]
I'll have to research a little more about single vs dual head. If anyone can point me to a good read on it, much appreciated.

I had looked at this printer also, but I don't like the proprietary cartridges that aren't refillable, as well needing to "activate" the machine online.
November 26, 2012 12:15AM
A new contender has arisen!
Wow, don't know how I missed it, but just found the H-1-1 on your site, the build size, the adaptability, and the price.
I'm thinking this may be the way to go for my first 3D printer, great entry level price.
November 27, 2012 09:42PM
If you are afeter and assembled printerhave a look at the following, as well:

makergear.com - Makergear M2, very good reviews.
3dstuffmaker.com - cheap, but only for PLA and without heated bed.
soliddoodle.com - from $500 with very good reviews

You can also find some mendel max off eBay, which are nice priters.

When I started I was looking for the largest print area and highest resolution I could get below $1000. It rurns out now that I would give more importance pre-assembled, pre calibrated, good reviews from other users and with some flexibility to perform upgrades.

In addition, if you want to build your own, as most of us in this forum, be preperad to spend from 1 to 10 weeks to get quality prints out of the printer. I recommend byuing a mendel max kit, as it is the successor of the Prusa.

Cheers,
Franklin
November 28, 2012 09:22AM
If you are going the pre-assembled route from a company, look into lead times for shipping the printer to you. The lead time includes the manufacturing, calibration and testing before it gets sent. The company's website will give you an idea of how long it will take, but you should also Google to see how long others have truly waited.

As for commercially available printers, also verify the type of filament required. Can you buy the plastic from a 3rd party or do you have to buy from them?

Just things to consider.
November 28, 2012 10:19AM
My advice would be to keep reading and learning. It will help you decide on the best printer for YOU, and help reduce the possibility for buyers remorse.

But, I am kinda partial to the RostockMAX. I saw it in person at MakerFaire in NYC in Sept and it was pretty sweet. I think you could just about print a small table lamp body on it. Maybe John can speak to this.

- akhlut

Just remember - Iterate, Iterate, Iterate!

[myhomelessmind.blogspot.com]
November 28, 2012 04:20PM
Don't buy the Cube -
- The performance is inferior to most RepRap based printers
- You are locked into using their filament spools, which are overpriced.
- Your money will be lining the pocket of a large company instead of going to small outfits who really care about open source 3D printing.
November 28, 2012 05:03PM
crispy1 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Don't buy the Cube -
> - The performance is inferior to most RepRap based
> printers
> - You are locked into using their filament spools,
> which are overpriced.
> - Your money will be lining the pocket of a large
> company instead of going to small outfits who
> really care about open source 3D printing.

Could you be mistaking the MBot Cube with 3D Systems Cube?

-Tom
November 28, 2012 05:58PM
I have mentioned both the MBot Cube and 3DS Cube, although was expressing interest in the MBot, disinterest in the 3DS due to the proprietary non-refillable cartridges.
November 29, 2012 01:08PM
Hey akhlut. Yeah, a lamp is doable. We just added over an inch to the z with a new top plate design. So, it can now print over 14 3/4".

Definately look around, and take your time deciding. Printers we be around for a long time. Also, keep in mind that all the designs of today will be old mews in a yr from now most likely. So make sure you can modify it easily if you want to keep up with the latest and greatest hacks. Many of the more commercial designs are very very locked down, so you get what you get, and dont ask to pop the hood and expect their help.
I am basicly in the same boat. Also looking into a 3d printer. Also willing to spend between 500 and 1500. Also quite new at this. Also in it for the hobby part alone.

Currently I am leaning towards the MBot3D, [www.mbot3d.com], a bit more expensive then their smaller models, but with the larger area and promise of less maintaince, it looks attractive.

Anyone experience with these?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login