Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

recess with hole - how do i do that

Posted by rogerw 
recess with hole - how do i do that
November 28, 2012 05:49PM
hello everyone,
i want to put a 2-3mm round recess in the bottom of my part* to have a screw head set into (*the face that is on the bed - can't turn the part over).
the recess will only be dia 6mm or so so normally i think you would just bridge across that ok.
what happens if i want a hole for the screw to go thru as well.
then it will try to do 2 perimiters or so for the hole which will stuff up its ability to bridge across the void - wouldn't it???
do i have to use supports in this case?
i have trouble getting supports to stick when they are this small and down to the first layer?
obviously will give this a go when i get home - just thought there might be some tricks you guys use.
roger

Prusa 'Explorer' (3dStuffMaker), GEN6, J-head Mk III-B, Bowden Extruder, Marlin 1.0.0 RC2, Repitier-Host V0.84 and Slic3r 0.9.8, PLA. Live at Victoria, Australia.
Re: recess with hole - how do i do that
November 28, 2012 05:57PM
Th easy way to do this is do what the Gregs/Wades extruder files do and put a solid plane 1 layer thick at the point of the transition between the larger and smaller holes.
The Slicer will then bridge that layer and do the smaller hole on top.
You then just use an exacto knife or a drill to clear out the 1 layer.
November 28, 2012 06:17PM
polygonhell,
yep understand i can draw the model will a solid layer and the the hole slightly above that. - great
(sorry for asking but what are Gregs/Wades extrude file - i know what a wades extruder is now !! i'm learning - did Gregs design the wade extruder ).
Roger

Prusa 'Explorer' (3dStuffMaker), GEN6, J-head Mk III-B, Bowden Extruder, Marlin 1.0.0 RC2, Repitier-Host V0.84 and Slic3r 0.9.8, PLA. Live at Victoria, Australia.
November 28, 2012 06:21PM
Greg's is a variation on the Wade's or the other way around, the file is worth looking at (you can get it from thingiverse), it has some quite clever solutions to manually provide support to the somewhat complex shape.
November 28, 2012 06:30PM
thanks polygonhell - will do - u seem awake at the moment - r u in the southern hemisphere?

November 28, 2012 06:33PM
this one?
[www.thingiverse.com]
Taylors Gregs Wades MK6 filament feed for Ultimaker

even has solidworks files - so will go have a good look

November 28, 2012 07:17PM
I was thinking of this one [www.thingiverse.com]
Nope I'm in North America, Washington State, I'm currently between meetings.
November 28, 2012 07:36PM
ok great thanks for your help

November 28, 2012 11:26PM
I've always put a taper on the recess inside a hole, but using a plane is much easier and quicker to do.

rogerw Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> hello everyone,
> i want to put a 2-3mm round recess in the bottom
> of my part* to have a screw head set into (*the
> face that is on the bed - can't turn the part
> over).
> the recess will only be dia 6mm or so so normally
> i think you would just bridge across that ok.
> what happens if i want a hole for the screw to go
> thru as well.
> then it will try to do 2 perimiters or so for the
> hole which will stuff up its ability to bridge
> across the void - wouldn't it???
> do i have to use supports in this case?
> i have trouble getting supports to stick when they
> are this small and down to the first layer?
> obviously will give this a go when i get home -
> just thought there might be some tricks you guys
> use.
> roger

Blog - [airtripper.com]
Extrude Filament Force Sensor - [airtripper.com]
December 03, 2012 11:39AM
I have one more solution in OpenSCAD.

/* Allows printing a hollow cylinder which decreases in radius. Subtract from the bottom of the
    piece with smaller radius. lh = layer height. Uses three stages. */
module printing_magic(r1, r2, lh) {
  intersection () {
    cylinder(r = r2, h = lh * 3);
    union () {
      translate([0, 0, lh/2]) cube(center = true, [r1 * 2, r2 * 2, lh]);
      rotate(45, [0, 0, 1]) cylinder(r = r1 * sqrt(2), h = lh * 2, $fn = 4);
      rotate(22.5, [0, 0, 1]) cylinder(r = r1 * (1/cos(22.5)), h = lh * 3, $fn = 8);
    }
  }
}

This creates the smaller hole by decreasing the larger one in three stages (long rectangle, square, octagon), while doing only legal (straight-line) bridging. Looks really cool if you have reliably working bridging. Otherwise can create a royal mess.
Hi guys,

I also needed to do a quick edit to the Greg's wade extruder, the herringbone gear and the smaller motor gear. Does anyone have the solidworks files for these? If so, could you send them to my email thab2knoe@yahoo.com. It would be greatly greatly appreciated!!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login