Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

40% of what

Posted by rogerw 
40% of what
December 04, 2012 07:44PM
was trying 40% fill and the lines are still still pretty close together. what is it 40% of. is the fill amount over a certain area? ie. 40% fill over 1cm sq will be denser than 40% over 100cm sq.

Prusa 'Explorer' (3dStuffMaker), GEN6, J-head Mk III-B, Bowden Extruder, Marlin 1.0.0 RC2, Repitier-Host V0.84 and Slic3r 0.9.8, PLA. Live at Victoria, Australia.
Re: 40% of what
December 04, 2012 07:53PM
40% is supposed to result in an object that is 40% solid, i.e. if you're using linear fill, the gaps between the tracks should be very slightly wider than the tracks themselves.
December 04, 2012 08:33PM
i was just surprised as i saw a intertwining vase being printed by the rostock printer (cant find the picture now) and it had large honeycomb holes in it - would that be 1 or 2 percent then.
(sorry would try all this stuff but am lucky to get one happy print done a day - too many question not enough printing success).

Prusa 'Explorer' (3dStuffMaker), GEN6, J-head Mk III-B, Bowden Extruder, Marlin 1.0.0 RC2, Repitier-Host V0.84 and Slic3r 0.9.8, PLA. Live at Victoria, Australia.
December 04, 2012 09:09PM
this is an owl but same thing - big holes

Attachments:
open | download - big.JPG (160 KB)
December 04, 2012 09:58PM
Probably 10-20%, it's not unusually to print cosmetic items with 10% fill.
December 04, 2012 10:20PM
would slic3r consider that a bridge when doing the top layer of the owl hatch. what is the definition of a bridge ie. what distance?

December 05, 2012 02:47AM
i think it considers a top first layer a bridge. if gaps are larger it may be best to slow down bridge speed and increase ratio to say 1.05 or 1.1 to prevent filament from tearing. this will allow a solid infill on top layers. also thinner layers such as 0.15mm need 5 to 7 solid layers.
December 05, 2012 03:13AM
rogerw Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> what is the
> definition of a bridge ie. what distance?

A bridge is any point where the extrusion has no support, is extruding in mid-air, thus needing anchor points at both ends.

jamesdanielv Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> i think it considers a top first layer a bridge.

I've never seen slic3r do any bridging where there is a solid base in the stl file, regardless of percentage of fill.

It is up to the user to select reasonable percentages of infill and number of solid layers, based on the model and layer height. Sometimes it requires quite a few experiments.

If you do want a bridge on the first top layer, or at difficult areas, you could make a hole in the model at the appropriate place.

I used to experimented a lot to use less filament, but now I just use 50% fill and three solid layers, it works every time for printer parts, and they come out nice and solid every time.

--
-Nudel
Blog with RepRap Comic
January 03, 2013 05:37PM
I usually use 20%, 10% for really big objects and 100% for small objects or objects that must be very strong (load bearing).

Bob Morrison
Wörth am Rhein, Germany
"Luke, use the source!"
BLOG - PHOTOS - Thingiverse
January 03, 2013 05:49PM
thanks bob
i have been using 50% which somebody suggested.
tried 20% the other day for something (flat piece) and it work good too.

basically am printing (fancy) boxes* - need a value that is ok on the flat bottom (4-5mm thick ie. 25 layers or so) and then when it starts printing the vertical walls (4mm and 2mm thick) will be a bit more solid. the 50% seems to go to almost solid when the walls are 2mm thick which is great.
roger

* see photos in 'wobble' post

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/03/2013 05:50PM by rogerw.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login