Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

U shape

Posted by rogerw 
U shape
December 05, 2012 05:36PM
good morning all,
i forgot to turn 'support' on last night and started printing a bracket than had R10 curves at the bottom.
i thought it would fall down esp on the initial parts as it is less then 45 degree angle. but it work ok (did have 2 layers of skirt right up to it which helped).
what angle can people print to (just assumed it had to be 45 degrees).
i should be able to do half of a R10 tube (U shape).
what about R20 which would have more flat parts
has then been a competition on the largest diameter that can be printer without support?
roger.

Prusa 'Explorer' (3dStuffMaker), GEN6, J-head Mk III-B, Bowden Extruder, Marlin 1.0.0 RC2, Repitier-Host V0.84 and Slic3r 0.9.8, PLA. Live at Victoria, Australia.
Re: U shape
December 07, 2012 01:31PM
I don't know of any specific competitions for making a cylinder, but you may be interested in this "thing"

Using a fan to print aggressively acute overhangs

You can also try searching for printer "torture tests". These usually include crazy overhangs.
December 07, 2012 05:23PM
goodness - how do they print such small things at 80mm/min even with a fan

Prusa 'Explorer' (3dStuffMaker), GEN6, J-head Mk III-B, Bowden Extruder, Marlin 1.0.0 RC2, Repitier-Host V0.84 and Slic3r 0.9.8, PLA. Live at Victoria, Australia.
December 07, 2012 05:49PM
this is what i want to print - for a radius 20mm tube have a min flat across the bottom. this is 20mm flat which gives a start angle of 35 degrees - will c how i go.

Attachments:
open | download - HalfTube.jpg (56.3 KB)
December 07, 2012 06:11PM
Any reason you don't print that on end?
December 07, 2012 08:21PM
want to do longer than 100mm (my z height - well actually struggling at 95mm). - need to print at least 130 probably at bit more.
on other parts have 2mm walls with 1 perim and solid fill - they turn out pretty good.
would like to have min at the bottom just to reduce the thickness of solid plastic ie. maybe help with warping, looks, and the challenge!!
roger

December 07, 2012 09:12PM
If you can't get those overhangs to work, you can always cut it in half, print it vertically, and then print out another half and glue them together. Superglue works with PLA, and ABS cement works really well with ABS.
December 08, 2012 07:42PM
pomeroyb - this went pretty well (3mm) thick walls. have been avoiding this part because of how to make it - is amazing what these printer can do.
i will print another and try to glue them together. must admit i am a bit confused (from reading posts) on how well gluing PLA will be - have Superglue and Selleys Plastic Glue for good contact joins and Araldite for non so good contact joins.
Otherwise i will screw the joins together.
See how I go.

Attachments:
open | download - Photo0241.jpg (114.6 KB)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login